• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Great result for State High. They've got the potential this year, and it was a must win game early.

TGS have done bloody well in getting that close to TSS.

TGS took a 17 to 6 lead into break and looked the goods in the first half
They continued were they left off in the second but then had their hooker yellow carded this was a turning point for TSS and allowed them right back into the game
TGS finally responded with a super try right on full time under the posts but all to late
Had there not been a yellow card things could have been very interesting
TGS have NC at home next week could be a cracker

Stellar15

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed. TGS conceded 12 points while they were down to 14 players. That changed the outcome of the game. After the yellow card TGS gained ascendancy once more. With final conversion making it 28 -24.

I

Ippy 15As

TGS took a 17 to 6 lead into break and looked the goods in the first half
They continued were they left off in the second but then had their hooker yellow carded this was a turning point for TSS and allowed them right back into the game
TGS finally responded with a super try right on full time under the posts but all to late
Had there not been a yellow card things could have been very interesting
TGS have NC at home next week could be a cracker

What's your predictions for the cracker?

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
My sons encouraged me to comment on this forum so I shall.
My brothers boys are at Nudgee & my sisters kids at High.
Went to Fursden Rd this morning. I personally thought the terrace add on's that barker introduced in the 14's were good, but only good, not great. I know Tom, he coached me in 1989, I know how he roles. He was very good for us league boys from western Queensland. My best on ground in the 14's game was the red head BSHS kid who generally played 15, game plan between that boys ears far exceeded any one else on that field.
Went into town to watch 1st at South Brisbane, the terrace loose forwards were soft as butter. It was really disappointing. They had High often at the contest but took soft options, or just weren't hard enough. The score did not reflect the State High dominance of this game. The second half was played on terraces 22m line. No terrace boy should be in a rep team. The state high #8 was best on ground by lengths. Maybe the High prop, 8, 9 & 15 have schoolboy rep options claims, maybe. No player I watched in the 1st XV today will play super rugby.

Agree on the 15 for State High, he was good to watch. However that GT backline ran rings around State High, especially the 13. In the second half when GT forwards couldnt keep hold of the ball State High simply ran up the guts because they couldn't beat the GT backs.

Ive also seen this random rubbish about Barker recruiting boys many times here too. came up last year too. I asked the GT coaches and they said Barker has little to nothing to do with recruiting.

frotter

Allen Oxlade (6)
My sons encouraged me to comment on this forum so I shall.
My brothers boys are at Nudgee & my sisters kids at High.
Went to Fursden Rd this morning. I personally thought the terrace add on's that barker introduced in the 14's were good, but only good, not great. I know Tom, he coached me in 1989, I know how he roles. He was very good for us league boys from western Queensland. My best on ground in the 14's game was the red head BSHS kid who generally played 15, game plan between that boys ears far exceeded any one else on that field.
Went into town to watch 1st at South Brisbane, the terrace loose forwards were soft as butter. It was really disappointing. They had High often at the contest but took soft options, or just weren't hard enough. The score did not reflect the State High dominance of this game. The second half was played on terraces 22m line. No terrace boy should be in a rep team. The state high #8 was best on ground by lengths. Maybe the High prop, 8, 9 & 15 have schoolboy rep options claims, maybe. No player I watched in the 1st XV today will play super rugby.

Mate if you are a father then perhaps you should know that comments like the above are read by the boys and their are still boys. So perhaps if you want to comment keep it generic , I have nothing to do with GT but it amuses me that after watching one game u are such an expert that u can predict who and whom may be able to play at a certain level, you certainly must be an experienced expert,

I watched some of the GT boys for a week in Sydney and they deserved their
selection,

Slimjim1966

Frank Nicholson (4)
First XV team list
ff1ab366442c8e70139866843defa666.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I
Wonder how the all ex Nudgee , Grammar coaching staff felt about the loss at their old school

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Mate if you are a father then perhaps you should know that comments like the above are read by the boys and their are still boys. So perhaps if you want to comment keep it generic , I have nothing to do with GT but it amuses me that after watching one game u are such an expert that u can predict who and whom may be able to play at a certain level, you certainly must be an experienced expert,

I watched some of the GT boys for a week in Sydney and they deserved their
selection,

Agree with this.

I was at the BSHS v GT game yesterday and if any finger pointing to be done from a GT perspective it should be at the coach as I came away feeling BSHS outcoached GT with a much better game plan suited to the conditions.

The wet conditions started to impact half way through the first half and Terrace's expansive game was being nullified by the slippery conditions and greasy football. I thought that the coach would have seen this and changed the game plan at least by half time

But from my perspective they didn't and continued with their dry weather plan as the conditions deteriorated. It was just dumb. And BSHS were smart enough to play for position and punish GT for their mistakes. That is why BSHS backrow played so well. The no.8 really capitalised on it.

BSHS can go all the way but only if they keep the team injury free. I do not think they have the depth to fill some spots if injuries.

Terrace have the cattle but I feel from what I saw yesterday and from a couple of games in last couple of years that their coaching will let them down at critical times and they will continue to underachieve at First XV level.

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Spoke to a mate who "saw" this game and who has been watching ACGS for over a decade.
He said:
1) Churchie attack was pedestrian;
2) IGS centres punched holes through opposites all day.
His eyes are as good as mine WW . Tough year for ACGS without the Gilmour residue of boys and no Broncos factor
me thinks but the 2 new boys 3 and 5 went well

I saw the game as well, maybe you should! Double take productions, ... , maybe you can then think AND type!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Dark Shark

Not sure it's all on the poor old Coach.

Players still got to respond to in game opportunities which I don't feel the Terrace lads did at times . Case in point - it's a one try game with 10m or so to go and Terrace punch twice on the short side and State High's 2 and 3 ( I think from memory ) are marking in the midfield on the strong side - and Terrace have a spare man in an overlap.

A couple of things like this throughout the game plus the fact Terrace just weren't big enough despite being pretty willing - a lot of errors at the end / down the stretch after they had been belted up by the bigger / stronger State High .

Terrace gave it a good nudge though and the heart was certainly there . They should be congratulated for a gutsy performance

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
BTW ........thumbs up to Lloyd Gorman and Josh Nasser with very strong games - not just opposing each other in the scrum - but around the ground in general play . Very telling that ( I think ) both had their team's opening scores

Murray Taulagi and Will Eadie also looked the goods and are going to cause headaches for a lot of opposing teams this season

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
@ Garry Owens

It seemed to me that the Terrace players did not or could not depart from the usual structure that they have been coached to play. With a combination of slippery ball and ground and BSHS reading the predictable play so well the GT players were picked off so methodically, causing so much turnover of ball.

Over the past couple of years at the couple of games I have seen, Terrace are sensational in broken play, particularly when returning kicks. I have seen some spectacular tries. But it just seems as soon as they get into 2plus phase ball it becomes predictable and the other teams know it and the result is not pretty for the red and black.

I went to the game because I thought the two teams had the most exciting backlines in the comp and it was going to be close to the premiership decider this year.

However, the wet conditions changed how the game should have been played and nullified most of the backline flair. BSHS played for position and capitalised on the mistakes. Terrace tried to play their usual possession game from in their own half and sometimes behind the 22 and got murdered. I thought a change to the game plan would have occurred after half time - but Terrace continued to keep to their structures. And to me it points to dumb coaching.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Terrace with one of the most exciting backlines in the comp ? Really ?

I get Issac Lucas and Will Eadie so that's fair but not sure I agree that Terrace would have one of the more exciting backlines

State High .......yeah that's fair but if / when fit it's pretty hard to go past BBC's backline - Ikitau , Carswell and Simpson - plus one or two others who have a very low profile that no one really knows about yet but who will get their chance this year

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
And when I think of great broken field kill you from anywhere type teams over the last few years I am thinking Nudgee , TSS and BBC over Terrace

That sort of has parlayed into Rep Selection at School and after (U20 ) with the various individual talent from these schools

I

Ippy 15As

Surprised Churchie 16A got up against IGS. Weren't IGS premiers last year? Anybody see the game?

Yes, they were! They managed to beat NC for the premiership on a Wednesday night. I haven't had a chance to see this churchie side yet but having not many boys in the Firsts and names like Zach Childs (apologies for incorrect spelling) and Fin Hume I'm sure they are contenders for the premiership this year. They also beat NC (runners-up last year) in the trials. IMO their only real competition is BGS's 16As.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Yes, they were! They managed to beat NC for the premiership on a Wednesday night. I haven't had a chance to see this churchie side yet but having not many boys in the Firsts and names like Zach Childs (apologies for incorrect spelling) and Fin Hume I'm sure they are contenders for the premiership this year. They also beat NC (runners-up last year) in the trials. IMO their only real competition is BGS's 16As.

I Think your post should read "managed to beat NC to share the premiership"......BGS 16A's? I think you need to put down the red cordial, They got got well beaten by NC on the weekend and it would of been by a lot more on a dry track. Don't forget NC had half a dozen U16 boy's trailing in the firsts which are now back in the 16's that season proper has started.
Last years results at this link.
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-11046-0-377138-0&a=LADDER

U1

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)

Is that the BGS side that got beaten 26 - 0 by NC on the weekend, didn't win a game as 15A's and have their best two players in the Firsts??

GT will be very hard to beat in this age group if they avoid injuries in the Firsts and NC remain the class - they lost a few trials including to GT but had several key players otherwise engaged.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I Think your post should read "managed to beat NC to share the premiership"..BGS 16A's? I think you need to put down the red cordial, They got got well beaten by NC on the weekend and it would of been by a lot more on a dry track. Don't forget NC had half a dozen U16 boy's trailing in the firsts which are now back in the 16's that season proper has started.
Last years results at this link.
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=0-11046-0-377138-0&a=LADDER

U1

I thought the GT V NC game in U15 was a draw, no result - in those results it seems to be given to NC as a GT forfeit, it certainly wasn't played so I had it as NC only 5 wins and IGS 6.

I

Ippy 15As

Is that the BGS side that got beaten 26 - 0 by NC on the weekend, didn't win a game as 15A's and have their best two players in the Firsts??

GT will be very hard to beat in this age group if they avoid injuries in the Firsts and NC remain the class - they lost a few trials including to GT and IGS but had several key players otherwise engaged.

You are forgetting one key player and he is Borger (unsure of first name)

Status
Not open for further replies.