• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Very windy day at Northgate today- blowin a gale.
BBC won all A matches from Under 11 to 1sts
13A and 2nds by 50
14 A and 15 A were closer than previous years and BGS have really improved in those teams. New fiji boy in15A for BGS is electric and BBC were a little lucky to win by 2 tries.

For a team that has won 3 premierships in a row the field has caught up to the BBC 15A team it seems.
Do not read too much into the closeness of 16A score as BBC played all but 5 minutes with 14 players.
Great spirit by BGS 1st xv.
BBC will miss Aussie A player Ben Simpson at the business end.

BGS to be commended for their defence , they were up quick and BBC knocked on a lot of times but when it did get out to Ikitau his class shined. Few selfish runs from others prevented a bigger score line. If they can leverage off their several dominant forwards they will go well, their loose forwards are nothing like last few years unfortunately.

They will be all the better for the hit out next week against TSS but it's been a while since I can remember them having a win against them away.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
BGS to be commended for their defence , they were up quick and BBC knocked on a lot of times but when it did get out to Ikitau his class shined. Few selfish runs from others prevented a bigger score line. If they can leverage off their several dominant forwards they will go well, their loose forwards are nothing like last few years unfortunately.

They will be all the better for the hit out next week against TSS but it's been a while since I can remember them having a win against them away.

well done . very accurate summary

bahog

Bob McCowan (2)
Traveled up the big hill to watch NC 33 d TGS 26. Game started a bit gingerly but soon found its groove. The scoreline indicates a lack of defence but I can assure you all, it was great attack, There was great solid bone crunching, "oh that's gonna hurt on Monday" type defence. Both teams threw the kitchen sink into the fray with both teams playing to the rules with the ref letting the play run. Both teams cleaned out ferociously and only the brave dared try to steal. TGS had extended periods of possession with the first try being scored against the run of play by NC with some brilliant footwork by 10 and backup by 6. TGS first try was a length of the field, through at least ten hands before 2 finished of the movement with a 30 metre dash to the line. Of course over time that distance will grow. NC scrum was mostly dominant, shoving the TGS pack around, which surprised the crowd. NC backs opened up the TGS back line with some accurate cut out passing by NC 10 leading to a NC try. TGS camped on NC's line, maintained possession and was eventually awarded a try I think it was to my MVP 2 for TGS. NC scored and TGS responded. Both teams threw the ball about leading to some of the best attacking open field running I have seen at schoolboy level. Some loose passing by TGS saw NC open a one try buffer with NC pouncing on a stray pass to score under the sticks. Half time was NC 19-14. Both teams started hard in the 2nd stanza with a great team try by TGS forwards. TGS camped on NC line for at least five minutes with the ref finally carding NC 2 for repeated infringements. NC scrum, one man down, five metres out saw NC 10 sweep left and run in probably the easiest try of the day. Again TGS responded highlighting NC serious lack of speed on the NC wings, plundering mileage down both sides of the field only to be cut down by my other MVP, NC 7. TGS scored another forward try after great lead up by the backs. Some easy possession given away by TGS led to a two try buffer to NC - with TGS never giving up and scoring a late try to the ever hard working TGS 12. The game indicated NC has a very tidy and strong, no frills forward pack with a very slick 10 and keen to run inside backs. TGS have a very large forward pack with very confidant and speedy 11, 13, 14. Realistically, TGS let themselves down with some bad handling at the worst possible times and NC capitalised. That was really the only difference between two very good teams.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from IGS v TSS here:

Flickr or Facebook

28203725430_4a150f328e_c_d.jpg

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
For a team that has won 3 premierships in a row the field has caught up to the BBC 15A team it seems.

I believe you are mistaken re the current 15A's, they did not win the 14A's last year that would be the Terrace team - who didn't lose a game....

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

I believe you are mistaken re the current 15A's, they did not win the 14A's last year that would be the Terrace team - who didn't lose a game..

Terrace may not have lost a game but how many did they draw?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)

I believe you are mistaken re the current 15A's, they did not win the 14A's last year that would be the Terrace team - who didn't lose a game..

Sorry champ
Check the records BBC were premiers . lost 1 match in 3 years and had 4 or 5 out that day last year they lost to GT.

But that new centre ( league boy from Wavell )at GT is IMO the best player in comp.

I

Ippy 15As

Very windy day at Northgate today- blowin a gale.
BBC won all A matches from Under 11 to 1sts
13A and 2nds by 50
14 A and 15 A were closer than previous years and BGS have really improved in those teams. New fiji boy in15A for BGS is electric and BBC were a little lucky to win by 2 tries.
Do not read too much into the closeness of 16A score as BBC played all but 5 minutes with 14 players.
Great spirit by BGS 1st xv.
BBC will miss Aussie A player Ben Simpson at the business end.

BGS 16As were dominate the whole game and the score line would have read a bit different if two freak tries were not let in. Also the 15Bs beat BBC, trouble in paradise for next year in the opens?

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
BGS 16As were dominate the whole game and the score line would have read a bit different if two freak tries were not let in. Also the 15Bs beat BBC, trouble in paradise for next year in the opens?

The BGS 16 A forwards played 7 boys for all but 5 minutes. They should go well.
As for next year you may well be right champ . But Chump there are:
1) 6 year 11 boys in 1st xv;
2) a superstar 15 A team coming through
However I was very impressed with BGS 15 A team. quite a few new boys and would not be suprised if 3,12 and 13 were in the mix for firsts next year.13 would not look out of place in 1sts this year. New boy from North Qld i was told.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

For a boy who calls himself Ippy 15As you sure follow BGS a lot - even when they play the game of the round at home you go and see BGS two weeks in a row play foregone conclusions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You'd almost think that they are a student at BGS.

They would not be the first person on G&GR with an avatar/profile information that is not accurate, or who makes claims in their posts that have a loose association with reality.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
yes. 3 and 13 for BGS who I am told are new ( fiji boy at 13 I saw at ARU gold) were very good . high standard game
The 3 is a very good player. Was a quality impact player for the Ipswich U15 JGC - captained the team and was very unlucky not to be selected in the QLD U15 team

Good mobility and top notch acceleration for a kid of his size

With Grammar's commitment to quality in coaching systems and structures he will do well and is definitely one to watch over the next couple of years

And yeah the 13 was one of two stand out backs in the U15 JGC competition this year . Grammar have a gem here

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Granmar also active with a couple of new boys in the 14's as well and in active dialogue with prospects at this age group level for next year's 15's

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Terrace killed ACGS even with two yellow cards. They lost openside Tweedy early in the second half to a lower limb injury. Surprised to also see Jake Mason play after watching him break his hand last week. GT's back ran rings around ACGS.

I'd say it will be important for most teams to start to build back to back wins and get some momentum through the next couple of rounds so that they are at full tilt for the big games.

I

Ippy 15As

For a boy who calls himself Ippy 15As you sure follow BGS a lot - even when they play the game of the round at home you go and see BGS two weeks in a row play foregone conclusions.

my name does not simply mean who I watch. I just enjoyed how Ipswich 15As played last year and if you really must know I am associated with Grammar but not as a student anymore. Those days are long gone.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Terrace killed ACGS even with two yellow cards. They lost openside Tweedy early in the second half to a lower limb injury. Surprised to also see Jake Mason play after watching him break his hand last week. GT's back ran rings around ACGS.

For the first 15 mins Churchie looked pretty good and had GT under a lot of pressure. Things just went downhill from there. Not from lack of commitment just GT started to take control. I agree mason looked injured from the start. Does the GT winger 14 have a league history?

M

Mike Hunt 16B's

does anyone know the story behind Ipswich's sixteens, looking at the results of the rounds and it seems Ippy can't even field a b's​

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
does anyone know the story behind Ipswich's sixteens, looking at the results of the rounds and it seems Ippy can't even field a b's​

From memory, it has been very rare for IGS to field a 16b team in the last decade. Players drop out as they get older, they usually lose a couple to Firsts and there just aren't the numbers to sustain a 16b team at IGS.

It starts at the younger age groups when you can only field two or three teams. A school of this size and with some wonderful rugby history should be fielding four and five teams in the younger age groups. By the time they get to 16's and Opens they would be more likely to have three teams competing.

Status
Not open for further replies.