• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Apparently 5 of the boys in the winning South Coast side were from TSS 15A's who only just went down to BBC by 1 try. BBC were at full strength as I heard the same, the BBC boys were not allowed to stand for selection. BBC scored in the first 10 mins and then TSS kept them out for most of the game until they scored from a kick off when the players were miles in front of the kicker. Awesome effort from an understrength TSS side.

Not sure why U15 State Schoolboy Championships competition is being in the middle of the GPS, club and league season? Surely QLD Rugby has to sanction this and you wonder why they would at this time of year.

Agree - GPS has to look at taking rugby back to term 2. It is nonsense having disruptions in the season like last weekend, not to mention schoolboy selection trials before anyone has played a game. Would also pick up some of the kids rugby is losing to basketball.
By the way, BBC 15As had a few boys out on the weekend as well, but nonetheless a great performance by TSS. The comp has certainly caught up on this BBC team - they looked lost on the weekend, beaten on the ground and lacking any of the sizzle in the backs that they have become renowned for.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Harry Wilson is in Year 12 - the coach told me as much when I interviewed him.

He played a few times off the bench in last year's First XV, grew up physically and is now arguably THE form player in the GPS.

But if Rugby League was looking for anyone I'd be pointing them to Eadie - he was yellow carded last week for punching a ball dead in-goal!

He had a terrific game.

I can 100% confirm Harry Wilson is in year 11

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree - GPS has to look at taking rugby back to term 2. It is nonsense having disruptions in the season like last weekend, not to mention schoolboy selection trials before anyone has played a game. Would also pick up some of the kids rugby is losing to basketball.
By the way, BBC 15As had a few boys out on the weekend as well, but nonetheless a great performance by TSS. The comp has certainly caught up on this BBC team - they looked lost on the weekend, beaten on the ground and lacking any of the sizzle in the backs that they have become renowned for.

i have to agree . I saw then put 50 on Nudgee 13A some 2 years ago and 40 on NC 14 A last year and I thought it was the most talented junior backline I had seen in a decade.
I was told 12 is out for the year and 10 and 5 were out on weekend.
The rest of the field has caught up in terms of size and pace it would seem.
no doubt I will have egg on face in 2 weeks time when we meet at Toowong.!!

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Harry Wilson is in Year 12 - the coach told me as much when I interviewed him.

He played a few times off the bench in last year's First XV, grew up physically and is now arguably THE form player in the GPS.

But if Rugby League was looking for anyone I'd be pointing them to Eadie - he was yellow carded last week for punching a ball dead in-goal!

He had a terrific game.

Year 11 - 100%

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
i have to agree . I saw then put 50 on Nudgee 13A some 2 years ago and 40 on NC 14 A last year and I thought it was the most talented junior backline I had seen in a decade.
I was told 12 is out for the year and 10 and 5 were out on weekend.
The rest of the field has caught up in terms of size and pace it would seem.
no doubt I will have egg on face in 2 weeks time when we meet at Toowong.!!

Not sure who is coaching them this year but was told by someone at the school that they lost their way a bit last year with the coaches they had - supervised rather than coached, and this year, boys out of position making way for new boys coming in.

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
If you compare the BBC 15A's this year to their team in the 13A's there are only 6 players remaining from the 13's in the team. Some are a victim of size, others a result of new kids coming in (for better or worse), an injury or 2 and kids just not playing any more.

There is only 1 player in the back line playing in the same position they did in the 13's and 2 others playing different positions. Its a shame because the backline in the 13's (and 14's) from 9-15 was one of the best junior backlines around.

F

from the side

Round 3 "Whole of School" Premiership table

A's including 1st XV 3 pts
B's 2 pts
C's 1 pts
12 A side only team in that year group.
Draw split points

If the school doesn't have a C's you lose the points.

1st Terrace - 68 pts so strong across all age groups, losing only a few games against Ipswich.
2nd Nudgee - 48 pts had the BYE will hit 1st place after this Saturday as they meet Ipswich
3rd Toowoomba - 47.5pts, meet BBC this week in a potential blockbuster of lower age games, TGS have good depth in the 16's and 14's similar to BBC, I think BBC win the day.
4th BBC - 47 pts, mid table clash with the TGS boys will be very interesting, however BBC have had their bye and expect to see them in challenging the Catholic boys very soon.
5th TSS- 46.5pts BBC depth in the lower ages and grades punished TSS on the weekend. GT will be the same this weekend.
6th Ipswich - 43.5pts
7th Churchie -42pts , unsatisfactory for Churchie.
8th BSHS - 23.5pts , more teams needed
9th BGS -10 pts. I got nothing to say, everything I type seems inadequate. Simply should be better, across the board.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Question on the TSS 15A's and the 5 boys that were claimed to be out on South Coast duties in the State Carnival.

How many of these boys are new ?

I'm wondering whether there is a crossover to this South Coast Team and the U15 JGC Team from the Gold Coast this year that did so well and had some very good talent

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I can 100% confirm Harry Wilson is in year 11

I'm still not convinced...

I asked McCormack before the season started:

"Who are the new faces in the team we should be expect to be impressed by?"

He replies: Byron Ralston... Hoani Ford-Stevens... and Harry Wilson the Aus Barbarians lock etc etc...

"And Wilson's in Grade 11, is he?"

He replies: "Nah mate, he's in Grade 12 this year. Played a handful of games for us last year but he's really developed over the off-season"

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
As usual, a great read! Gets me excited for the next round everytime I read the match reports.
And loved the tries of the round highlight video - bloody brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great accurate report of TSS v BBC .
1) I thought the 2nd penalty by the TSS boy into the wind was further than 50mtr. I gave him no hope;
2) that 1st ty by BBC was a classic. No one knew where the ball was-not a finger on him. I was behind the posts and I was looking at the other winger!
Congrats to both sides: hard ,clean ,spirited rugby.

rugbyontherange

Frank Nicholson (4)
Question on the TSS 15A's and the 5 boys that were claimed to be out on South Coast duties in the State Carnival.

How many of these boys are new ?

I'm wondering whether there is a crossover to this South Coast Team and the U15 JGC Team from the Gold Coast this year that did so well and had some very good talent

Looking at the team list online, of the "7" boys from TSS who were missing last week to play in the SouthCoast team, only 2 of them are new to TSS. There was another 2 TSS 15A players out, injured from the previous week and they were also long term TSS lads.
There were 18 boys from Junior Gold Cup in the U15 SouthCoast team. All from a wide variety of schools. This is a very strong age group on the Gold Coast who benefitted from the Gold Coast program which was developing 2 Gold Coast Teams for the QLD State Champs 2 years ago. Fantastic Development Program run by Murray Archibald, with amazing coaches and clinics right over a 2 year period. This age group attained a high skill level which we are seeing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.