• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Was disappointing to learn this week that the star loose forward in the BSHS 14 A's is off to terrace next year. Massive loss for High & huge pick up for Terrace. Do Terrace need to add further to this age group??.He is in year 8, will play 1st when 16 in grade 10 so adding someone now that will give 3 yrs service to your 1sts make sense I suppose. Such a talented young fella with an exceptional pedigree.

Gee i am glad terrace are taking the old BBC approach and stealing players from other GPS schools and taking some of the hatred towards us here at BBC away... go tommy.... whilst he is a good player saying he will be in firsts in year 10 is a big call ... isnt his brother playing firsts currently ... interesting call from his parents... Don't think it is a massive loss as from my reports the recruitment is strong at state so im sure they will roll in another quaility player... GPS rugby is in trouble if swaping schools becomes common place... where will it stop

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Lil bit hysterical isn't it Real Deal ?

I can literally think of 1 current player from U13 to Opens where this has been the case . And no one stole anyone . The family / players , y'know , exercise free will in making a decision for change for whatever their reasons be.

And "Tommy" I would think has nothing to do with it

And yes ..........State High's recruitment remains strong with the many sovereign island states of the South Pacific

But I'm buggered if I know why they could barely put a 2nds team on the park last weekend

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Lil bit hysterical isn't it Real Deal ?

I can literally think of 1 current player from U13 to Opens where this has been the case . And no one stole anyone . The family / players , y'know , exercise free will in making a decision for change for whatever their reasons be.

And "Tommy" I would think has nothing to do with it

And yes ....State High's recruitment remains strong with the many sovereign island states of the South Pacific

But I'm buggered if I know why they could barely put a 2nds team on the park last weekend
Wow... u have great creditability playing the race card..

Wonder how this player and his family feel as they are of islander descent

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Gee i am glad terrace are taking the old BBC approach and stealing players from other GPS schools and taking some of the hatred towards us here at BBC away. go tommy.. whilst he is a good player saying he will be in firsts in year 10 is a big call . isnt his brother playing firsts currently . interesting call from his parents. Don't think it is a massive loss as from my reports the recruitment is strong at state so im sure they will roll in another quaility player. GPS rugby is in trouble if swaping schools becomes common place. where will it stop

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can you blame parents who want to send their children to a school known for its academic excellence and which equally promotes cultural and sporting excellence. It's not about scholarships but life opportunities.

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
And yes ....State High's recruitment remains strong with the many sovereign island states of the South Pacific

What a strange comment to make as I am sure you know that BSHS doesn't actually recruit from the Pacific Islands. If you are just pointing out that there are a lot of islanders playing rugby for BSHS then yes you are correct, but they are from Brisbane.

As for the 2nds.... Injury and illness has hit hard.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I can literally think of 1 current player from U13 to Opens where this has been the case

Player movement between the schools is not exactly common, nor is it restricted to any one school

Ben Tarr went from BBC First XV 2011 to TSS First XV 2012

Matt Forsyth went from BGS First XV 2013 to GT First XV 2014.

Benroy Sala went from BSHS U15s in 2011 to two years in the BBC First XV

Kyle Leofa went from BSHS U15s to GT First XV in 2013-14

In my years covering the comp I can't think of any other examples in the First XV.

I am sure you know that BSHS doesn't actually recruit from the Pacific Islands.

Exactly! As if State High have the budget/desire to fly out to Samoa/Tonga/Fiji for rugby players. What a silly comment

To my knowledge the only "Pacific targeted" program is BBC's PNG / Will Genia program.

Churchie used to run scouting missions to Samoa, but I think that's died down now - after a mostly home grown Premiership I don't believe they saw the attraction in spending hundreds of thousands if it didn't guarantee a result (e.g. 2012's sixth place finish)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
"Sovereign Island States" wasn't enough of a glib over-exaggeration ?

Way to take the comment literally @ King and @ Stripes .........but I suspect you , Stripes , already knew it was reference to the big numbers from the local Polynesian community given that you referenced it

Additionally @ King .....I did say "current" but thanks for the memories

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Additionally @ King ...I did say "current" but thanks for the memories

You did too. Sorry, didn't notice that. Regardless, aren't we agreeing with each other? I was making the point that while it has happened, it's very rare. Certainly not common.

Re: Ben Meehan, that's very interesting. If anyone else can add in more please do!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
We do agree King .

However I differ slightly , in that , I do believe that are greater incidences in play. Further , that we may be on the cusp of greater regularity ( if not in completion but in attempts )

Certainly in greater desire to consider alternatives - or at least intrigue in the possibility of the grass being greener.

The landscape of GPS Rugby has changed considerably in the last 5 years and I can think of the same number of examples in the junior ages over the last 12 months that you reference over 4 years.

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Might not be very relevant but Downlands College is fielding a very good team this year and should put it over TGS in the Inaugural "Ocallaghan Cup" in a few weeks
All of the GPS teams treat this game as a bye. They rarely field a full strength first fifteen team. It simply is not worth the risk of injuries.

I am the Webinator

Frank Row (1)
My round 7 tips:

NC vs TSS: After the big Nudgee boys get their morning milf everyone should be ready for a cracking game of rugby. A classic in the making as both sides battle it out to decide which tastes nicer, sharkfin soup or barbecued polar bear. Will go down to the wire however Nudgee to scrape home by 2

BGS vs BSHS: After State High win the match in the first 5 minutes the rest of the time will be spent debating which school will get the better QCS marks. A tough pick but for mind Grammar will come out on top again. Meanwhile State High will have blown it out for a 50 point win in the rugby.

BBC vs ACGS: Still comiserating the loss to State High last week and with an eye on the Terrace game next week BBC will be slow out of the blocks and Churchie will think they have a chance however once BBC wake up it will be easy pickings. BBC by 15

TGS vs GT: The Terrace parents will arrive complaining of why they need to come up to a place which doesn't even have a big screen for which to admire their highlights against BGS however fortunately for them the players should be focused enough to get past a determined and unlucky woomba. GT by 7

Webbodactyl i very much agree with your tipping this week

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Gee i am glad terrace are taking the old BBC approach and stealing players from other GPS schools and taking some of the hatred towards us here at BBC away. GPS rugby is in trouble if swaping schools becomes common place. where will it stop

Unfortunately it is realdeal. This year the best debater in Australia Xavier Redmond moved from Terrace down the road to Grammar. As a result a possible premiership winning Terrace team had to settle again behind BGS.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Player movement between the schools is not exactly common, nor is it restricted to any one school

Ben Tarr went from BBC First XV 2011 to TSS First XV 2012

Matt Forsyth went from BGS First XV 2013 to GT First XV 2014.

Benroy Sala went from BSHS U15s in 2011 to two years in the BBC First XV

Kyle Leofa went from BSHS U15s to GT First XV in 2013-14

In my years covering the comp I can't think of any other examples in the First XV.

Really King? You can't think of any other examples? Not even a certain ex-churchie playmaking flyhalf who won the first premiership in 20 years for your old school just a few years ago?

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
All of the GPS teams treat this game as a bye. They rarely field a full strength first fifteen team. It simply is not worth the risk of injuries.

TGS take the game seriously. They field their full strength team against downlands every year, giving them a bit of a disadvantage having to play a 9 game season.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Really King? You can't think of any other examples? Not even a certain ex-churchie playmaking flyhalf who won the first premiership in 20 years for your old school just a few years ago?

Sometimes when it's right in front of your nose you just don't see it.

There's three right there - Blackhurst and Cornelsen from TSS, Greene from ACGS, in 2010 and 2011.

In Greene's case I think it's prudent to note that he left Churchie after years of cruel and systematic bullying, so he wasn't your standard star footy recruit. He was one special athlete though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.