• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I think you have left out Tom Gilbert, he will definitely be in the GPS 1 team

Yes, he was one of a number of players I struggled with leaving out of the team I thought would be picked. There are some positions I could have bracketed four players - and I think all could do the job.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
.....Unfortunately, the way the rugby calendar is set up at the moment (which is probably a discussion for another thread) the GPS Rep teams and then the Queensland Rep teams are picked before the GPS Schools play a competition game.......

Don't get me started on this DS. One of the most incompetent decisions made and all parties involved are to pig headed to compromise around the scheduling and makes a mockery of the selection process.

It makes goings on with the ARU look good.

Rant over.

Pretty good selection to start the debate. There's a lot of really good talent this year as this cohort has been strong through the age groups.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Congrats to BBC old boy Tom Banks ( 2013) in his run on debut for Brumbies against Reds tonight

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
How cool would it be if you just played Rugby over 2 x terms ?

Develop a ranking system pre-season and have "out of conference match ups" in Term 2 and then Term 3 ...schools return to their association / conference to play their usual season

Rugby pairs better with Track and Field in Term 4 and Rowing across Term 4 and Term 1 ....for the traditional Rugby / Cricketer chappie it works too

Volleyball , Basketball in Term 1 and 3 respectively are more complementary...can even jump in and do Soccer in Term 2 if you feel compelled

Cross Country runners in Term 2 can pick up their Track and Field in Term 4 as well

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I hear that TSS played St Joeys NSW this week and:
1) won easy;
2) Joeys shocked by size and depth of TSS

I have been telling you- there will be cricket scores in 2 nd xv this year.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
I hear that TSS played St Joeys NSW this week and:
1) won easy;
2) Joeys shocked by size and depth of TSS

I have been telling you- there will be cricket scores in 2 nd xv this year.

I am not sure TSS won easy the score was
TSS 12 to Joeys 10. Joeys rested some of their obvious 1st XV selections in the second half and gave some game time to players who trying to impress, after all it is a trial game.

In all Joeys used 30 players. So basically in the 2nd half TSS was playing Joeys 2nd XV..... I hope that does not disappoint your way of thinking, just keeping it real.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Hey blade runner, I like your selection but I gotta say, I don't know the boys name but he played no.8 for BBC last season and he's back in town this year so I'm putting his name to fame on that list of yours! He's got great ball skills. I like Parata as well! Very good with the boot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Still early days for the season proper. Some schools on tours and camps right now and it is a long way before school teams are finalised.

Unfortunately, the way the rugby calendar is set up at the moment (which is probably a discussion for another thread) the GPS Rep teams and then the Queensland Rep teams are picked before the GPS Schools play a competition game.
So here is my crack at the GPS 1 team to start discussions. The first round of selection trials are next month.
  1. Emile Tuimavave (BGS) / Halatoa Puafisi (TGS)
  2. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
  3. Moses Alo-Emile (BSHS)
  4. Trevor Hosea (BBC)
  5. Harry Wilson (GT)
  6. Thomas Van Der Schyff (TSS)
  7. Cam Howard (GT)
  8. Joe Small (NC)
  9. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
  10. Campbell Parata (TSS) / Cooper Whiteside (IGS)
  11. Isaiah Naawi (NC)
  12. Xavier Soli (NC)
  13. Tristan Stanghorn (ACGS)
  14. Jordan Petaia (BSHS)
  15. Byron Ralston (GT)
There is stunning depth in the outside backs and there are many others in that area that will challenge selections. I tried to keep most guys in position around the park. Seems to me it could be a larger tight five than recent years.

I think you are pretty close to the money.
I only disagree with 7. I think the NC 6 from last year will play there.
I expect Cullen Ngamanu of BBC to push Joe Small for a spot.

A lot of Nudgee backs in there(maybe 1 of there 3 new boys from RL will make it)-if the Broncos allow it.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Hey blade runner, I like your selection but I gotta say, I don't know the boys name but he played no.8 for BBC last season and he's back in town this year so I'm putting his name to fame on that list of yours! He's got great ball skills. I like Parata as well! Very good with the boot!

yeah- Cullem Ngamanu. His brother played 15 in Qld under 20.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Well I'm just hoping he's (ngamanu) still has them skills he showed last year along with the grunt!! I only seen kiwi boys with them skills,especially under pressure. In saying that I haven't seen Joe Small so let's see the difference. I notice an abundance of nudgee boys, are they the favourites then.?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I think you are pretty close to the money.
I only disagree with 7. I think the NC 6 from last year will play there

Digby, I thought the NC 6 was a standout with ball in hand last year. But watching him in the BBC and then BSHS game, I thought he was very lost and extremely ineffective in the rucks and mauls and was part of some crucial misses in the line outs . I think he is better as a utility back but not a forward and I do not think he would force any turnover ball and would probably be penalised out of the game if he even tried due to his inexperience. Considered him seriously at 6 based on last year but thought Van Der Schyff offered a better all round game and taking into account observations above.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I think you have left out Tom Gilbert, he will definitely be in the GPS 1 team

Nice Team I think the BSHS 9 Mosiah Christian will be in the conversation at the end of the season won't help him at the selection table.

I heard the 14 Jordan P broke an ankle can anyone confirm. and for mine the Ipswich Grammar 10 cannot tackle he does have a great boot on him though.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nephew was speaking to one of boys who just got back from BBC rugby camp. word is:
1) 6 forwards back;
2)probable captain at 12 ( injury) and 13 ( RL at Wavell High ) gone for the year;
3) a very very young backline - only 15 will be grade 12 .
T Kefu doing most of the coaching.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
Nephew was speaking to one of boys who just got back from BBC rugby camp. word is:
1) 6 forwards back;
2)probable captain at 12 ( injury) and 13 ( RL at Wavell High ) gone for the year;
3) a very very young backline - only 15 will be grade 12 .
T Kefu doing most of the coaching.

BBC should have a strong forward pack with quite a few 18 year olds.

Injury to Conrad Green will hurt them and there is no obvious replacement. Take out Coulsten (league school) and Ma'afi (Terrace) and midfield stocks look a little thin.

There will be a temptation to promote a number of under 16's due to the success they have had in the past but I would caution restraint here given the prevalence of boys turning 18 in 1st XV teams across the GPS.

There may be a few of these boys in the team but I don't think there will be 6. I suspect Deck (year 12) and Peter (year 12) will battle for the 9 jersey and would think Sauer (year 12) could be in the mix somewhere as well as Stone (year 12) and Waterman (year 13) who seems to be liked by people who matter.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Let me guess:
1) Maafu transferring to Terrace in grade 11 is as a full fee paying student;
2) the boys playing 12 and 13 in the Terrace 16 A team last year think it is great news.

Churchie being very quiet . I hear the new prop and lock from last year have some new mates?
Is it correct that one of their " new boys" only lasted a couple of months ??

Status
Not open for further replies.