• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks like a lot of teams (TGS,BBC ,GT etc ) -are building for next year.
More shared premierships on the way ?

Agree!! But if TGS are going to take it to the next level they need to get out of the mentality that they think they can just muscle their way to a premiership. They need to get a couple of kids in there with good handling skills that know how to read the play and play whats in front of them.

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone have any info on early trial matches? Keen to attend

Reading the previous posts I see TSS and TGS have had a hit out already.

Hear that BGS beat a touring NZ school last weekend, BGS were the last of 3 matches in 7 days so not sure what the opposition was like. Word was from someone on the sideline that BGS look to have a far better backline (9,10,12,13,15) than last year, forwards were lacking though.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I heard this week that a number (4) of players from this years BSHS under 15's have recently moved across to GT on scholarship. I am somewhat suspect of the integrity of the information, however like all rumours there is always a mustard seed of truth. GT were on the rise last year and I think if this is accurate or close to accurate, they are a very good chance of taking out the season.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I heard this week that a number (4) of players from this years BSHS under 15's have recently moved across to GT on scholarship. I am somewhat suspect of the integrity of the information, however like all rumours there is always a mustard seed of truth. GT were on the rise last year and I think if this is accurate or close to accurate, they are a very good chance of taking out the season.

It is accurate- plus the boy from BBC that went to GT in grade 11(after spending 1 term at a High School) to avoid the Headmasters agreement.
The shit will hit the fan soon on these 5. GT are really flouting the rules--and to think Red & Black were throwing stones on this forum last year about PI boys !!!!

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
It is accurate- plus the boy from BBC that went to GT in grade 11(after spending 1 term at a High School) to avoid the Headmasters agreement.
The shit will hit the fan soon on these 5. GT are really flouting the rules--and to think Red & Black were throwing stones on this forum last year about PI boys !!!!

OK well in that case the season is their's to lose.

Congrats GT, might have to do a couple sessions in confession for breaking the rules, but all will be forgiven. Nothing surer, if anyone knows the loop holes of how to sin and get away with it, it's the Catholics, and of course then subsequently look down their nose at other sinners.

They will be quite a special side if they have kept the bones of last years 14 A's. 15 A's, IGS vs GT will be very interesting watching!

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
Terrace are playing a NZ touring side tomorrow at Brothers. Should be interesting to watch. I understand a few 16's are playing in the Firsts team. 4pm for the 16's and 5pm for the Firsts.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)

Just 2. And full fee paying too. Apparently.

The other 2 to League Schools

BigFootyDad

Frank Row (1)
I heard AIC is going to be a stronger comp than GPS this year

I could not agree with you more Mr Floob, the AIC competition this year looks to be especially strong, I feel as if this year will begin the period of transition where AIC rugby will finally overtake the GPS schools and return to it's rightful place as the powerhouse of Australian rugby.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Terrace are playing a NZ touring side tomorrow at Brothers. Should be interesting to watch. I understand a few 16's are playing in the Firsts team. 4pm for the 16's and 5pm for the Firsts.

Tomorrow as in 5:00pm Thursday? Excellent. I'll need a bit of First XV action to wash out the sour taste of watching soccer played on No.1 Ovals this term.

TSS: $3.00

NC: $4.00

GT: $8.00

TGS: $16.00

BBC: $19.00

BSHS: $21.00

Churchie: $31.00

Ipswich Grammar: $41.00

Grammar: $81.00

I was a front rower Warrenwobble, fractions hurt my brain.

I'd punt on BSHS going back to back at $21 odds though, while BBC are never far off.

Any year now...

But did you know that TSS are in a drought entering it's seventh year? This might be their best chance yet but as far as I can tell only Tom van der Schiff is returning from the forwards.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey King

How is that new Fijian boy from the 15 As (fullback ) last year measuring up? He looked exciting.
He heard he played rep footy with a few BBC boys (stayed at their house)but under BBC's new(grade 7,8,9 only)policy-they could not take him so he went to BGS.
Nice kid.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Hey King

How is that new Fijian boy from the 15 As (fullback ) last year measuring up? He looked exciting.
He heard he played rep footy with a few BBC boys (stayed at their house)but under BBC's new(grade 7,8,9 only)policy-they could not take him so he went to BGS.
Nice kid.

BGS kids from North Queensland tell me they were stunned he wasn't already aligned with the Cowboys.

Apparently it just didn't make sense that they had other boys in their program and not Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.

A good year in the First XV may change that - NRL U20s programs keep close eyes on the competition.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
The Kiwis, Fielding Boys High, were on the fourth and final game of their tour, playing against TSS, TGS and one more in addition to GT.

Terrace ran two teams, one for the first half and one for the second.

Only two run through sessions beforehand and the big stars (Wilson, Ford-Stevens, Ralston jnr, Oyelodi) were all rested.

Former Queensland U15s rep Xavier Siolo took the reigns at 10 in the first half and looked the part as a First XV flyhalf. Some passes missed the mark but pretty good decision making and general attacking mindset.

Smaller forward pack barring prop Malvin Mavaeaga (maybe 6'1, 105-ish kg?)who might have outweighed the rest of his front row combined.

Dan Condon at #12 made a few nice hits but apparently "broke his thumb" midway through the half.

0-0 at half-time.

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
BGS kids from North Queensland tell me they were stunned he wasn't already aligned with the Cowboys.

Apparently it just didn't make sense that they had other boys in their program and not Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow.

A good year in the First XV may change that - NRL U20s programs keep close eyes on the competition.

I understand he is also playing rep 7s rugby and rep AFL, someone better chat with home soon

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Ended up going down 10-0 in what was a pretty miserable game of rugby.

Reserve #10 Matt Lo Grande looked pretty handy and centre Lachlan Barazza was the only real backline threat in the second half.

Terrace's second half scrum was absolutely brutalised, but it looked like they sured up when both big props were in the game.

From that one performance, with the superstars on their way back over the coming weeks, I imagine Terrace might roll out a team like this come Round One.

1. Malvin Mavaega
2. Ethan Dobbins
3. Hector Funaki
4. Ryan Gassman
5. (No other lock stood out to me. Maybe that means Wilson will return to the second row)
6. Levi White
7. Cam Howard
8. Harry Wilson
9. Jackson Matchett
10. Xavier Siolo
11. (Tyrone Metusela? Didn't see him flash any real speed but I imagine it's there. Didn't have many opportunities that game)
12. Hoani Ford-Stevens
13. Lachlan Barazza
14. JJ Oyelodi
15. Byron Ralston

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
Gungenia you really have no idea. The BSHS boys couldnt wait to get out of the school and rugby program and were not poached. They approached GT!! As for the BBC boy, he also approached GT as BBC wasnt suited to himself. Sure from your position it is easy to use the word poached or whatever else you want to use but no shit will be hitting any fan. GT act with integrity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but get your facts right first before stating one!!

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gungenia you really have no idea. The BSHS boys couldnt wait to get out of the school and rugby program and were not poached. They approached GT!! As for the BBC boy, he also approached GT as BBC wasnt suited to himself. Sure from your position it is easy to use the word poached or whatever else you want to use but no shit will be hitting any fan. GT act with integrity. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but get your facts right first before stating one!!

You used the word " poached " not me .and it is pure coincedence that:
1)he spent one semester at local high school after leaving BBC and before joining GT;
2) his cousin is at GT on a scholarship plus uniform.

Call a spade a spade will you- good luck to GT if they can bend the rules.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Possible Line-up for GT 2017
1. White
2. Dobbins
3. Galis
4. Gassman
5. Hearne
6. Howard
7. Roach
8. Wilson
9. Matchett
10. Li Grande
11. JJ
12. Ford Srevens
13. Metusela
14. Cross
15. Hartland

George George George... I remember last month you were pushing Ralston for possible state and national honours. Now he can't even make his own school team.

Status
Not open for further replies.