• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Notwithstanding McCain's optimism I do expect Grammar to have the highest rate of improvement ( off their base )over the next season or two

Grammar's rugby approach has placed a huge emphasis on the program as a whole, a not particularly indictive of the first XV at the moment. Their strategy of bringing in high quality coaches of top quality, a boy or two here and there will eventually reap rewards as we have seen there sides across age groups gain in competitiveness.
Depth is still an issue but that is a problem at multiple schools these days including IGS, BSHS and to a lesser extent all schools barring NC and TSS.

I will watch with a close eye across all their sides this year, particularly there first XV and I'm hoping they continue to improve. Last year was disappointing for their first XV, with some really class players in a few positions being let down by depth/size issues once again.

There has been much hype around this Tom Gilbert character, apparently a really impressive centre with a bit of agro, maybe just what grammar rugby needed

MrFootyLegend123

Stan Wickham (3)
Grammar's rugby approach has placed a huge emphasis on the program as a whole, a not particularly indictive of the first XV at the moment. Their strategy of bringing in high quality coaches of top quality, a boy or two here and there will eventually reap rewards as we have seen there sides across age groups gain in competitiveness.
Depth is still an issue but that is a problem at multiple schools these days including IGS, BSHS and to a lesser extent all schools barring NC and TSS.

I will watch with a close eye across all their sides this year, particularly there first XV and I'm hoping they continue to improve. Last year was disappointing for their first XV, with some really class players in a few positions being let down by depth/size issues once again.

There has been much hype around this Tom Gilbert character, apparently a really impressive centre with a bit of agro, maybe just what grammar rugby needed

I saw good mongrel in Gilbert last year. Will definitely be effective for the BGS team this year.

The GT Army

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes I saw him totally lose his bottle against GT last year. Coach pulled him at half time. Agro a strength as well as a weakness if not channeled properly.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes I saw him totally lose his bottle against GT last year. Coach pulled him at half time. Agro a strength as well as a weakness if not channeled properly.
I know there is so much rugby talent out there.
We all have our preferences and prejudices with players (and schools)
This year in GPS the coach will make the difference .
Look at Churchie Under 16 last year. Not the best side but best coached.
I am not a Churcie dad.
NC v GT round one . The winner will take it out or get very close
Then again I have no prediction expertise
Love schoolboy rugby

MrFootyLegend123

Stan Wickham (3)
I know there is so much rugby talent out there.
We all have our preferences and prejudices with players (and schools)
This year in GPS the coach will make the difference .
Look at Churchie Under 16 last year. Not the best side but best coached.
I am not a Churcie dad.
NC v GT round one . The winner will take it out or get very close
Then again I have no prediction expertise
Love schoolboy rugby

I think you will find that Churchie doing well in 16's came down to a full strength team being played whereas other schools were having to play kids up in firsts.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
RND 1 2017:

1. BSHS 1st XV VS The Southport School 1st XV
  2. Gregory Terrace 1st XV VS Nudgee College 1st XV
  3. Ipswich Grammar School 1st XV VS Brisbane Boys' College 1st XV
  4. TGS 1st XV VS Brisbane Grammar School 1st XV
  5. CHURCHIE BYE

The 1st round will determine the outcome of the Premiers 2017.

My predictions:
  1. TSS/NC joint winners
  2. BSHS
  3. BBC
  4. GT
  5. CHURCHIE
  6. IGS
  7. TGS
  8. BGS

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Good summary.
I think you a re the only person on this forum to suggest ACGS as a top 3 in first xv.
Yes they had a reasonable 16 A team but the last 2 years tells us that this does not equate to a strong 1stxv- when most of TSS firsts will be 18 years old.
Yes- they have brought in 3 or 4 new boys and one has left.
I cant see a single x factor player apart from injury prone 13..
Who is the solid 10 in ACGS?
Be interested in your reasoning.

Also are the 6 new boys at TGS -league or rugby boys? If the former it will take 12 months to adjust.

A mix of both but probably favoring league more and it looks like there are more then 6.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
RND 1 2017:

5. CHURCHIE BYE

My predictions:
  1. TSS/NC joint winners
  2. BSHS
  3. BBC
  4. GT
  5. CHURCHIE
  6. IGS
  7. TGS
  8. BGS
I actually think you have it spot on - apart from TGS will be above Churchie - if all these league boys adopt quickly .Well done

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
When and where do TSS play Nudgee-? seems you all agree with me that this is the GF.
Went down and watched TSS train the other day. Jesus- they are a big squad. There seems to be new boys I ( my son) does not even know - but those new backs from NZ look scary good .10, 12 ,13 depth is ridiculous.

The Queen ;)

Stan Wickham (3)
RND 1 2017:

5. CHURCHIE BYE

My predictions:
  1. TSS/NC joint winners
  2. BSHS
  3. BBC
  4. GT
  5. CHURCHIE
  6. IGS
  7. TGS
  8. BGS

I agree with top four but i think bottom four will look more like this:

1. TSS/NC joint winners
  2. BSHS
  3. BBC
  4. GT
  5. TGS
  6. BGS
  7. ACGS
  8. IGS

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
RND 1 2017:

5. CHURCHIE BYE

My predictions:
  1. TSS/NC joint winners
  2. BSHS
  3. BBC
  4. GT
  5. CHURCHIE
  6. IGS
  7. TGS
  8. BGS
By your predictions, 1st round will tell outcome of wooden spoon also? Which teams are in a 'building year' investing in their players for 2018? I hear this year 15s at GT are going to be very large in the next season. Big S&C push by rugby directors.

Scrum Club

Frank Row (1)
By your predictions, 1st round will tell outcome of wooden spoon also? Which teams are in a 'building year' investing in their players for 2018? I hear this year 15s at GT are going to be very large in the next season. Big S&C push by rugby directors.

Agreed, this year feels like a two horse race between Nudgee and TSS. Word from the BBC old boys was that last years team was there only hope for a while a lot of rebuilding for them, Churchie aren't looking strong down the ranks so expecting some new players coming in, Terrace have got pretty solid teams through the age groups credit to great coaching, Grammar in my opinion will be the most interesting for next year, out of the expected 1st xv this year 8 of which are year 11, not saying they will win it next year but a more midfield result next year is expected, dont know much about the others

Status
Not open for further replies.