• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Mass imports can be ( and should be ) progressive though

Success upstream drives engagement downstream ( and enrolments ) in the perception of excellence that ultimately customers , ( yes customers ) will make a decision on . Those Schools that do decide to "go for it" in any sport just have to ensure that the balance is kept right if talent is already there and the longer term idea is about less reliance on the grass is always greener types ( sort of makes sense if you assume Schools are a business and are interested in making more money over time )

Recruit early and often and invest in Coaching

Audit / Project forward with what's downstream and 2 a year stock takes

Then be more precise in need rather than just stack and rack........ideally by that time maturing age groups already have their depth and a sameness in terms of an overall patterning in what the Program is meant to connect to in its core objectives

Culture isn't just about winning and the celebration of that end result . The how and the why - and the values and beliefs therein that get commonly defined and accepted are where you'll find it

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Tom Gilbert has been named in the Queensland U18 state of origin team for June 21.

I imagine that's why he's not trialling for the Queensland Schoolboys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree 100% GO. Well said! These schools are businesses and they are also institutions of excellence across a range of different fields and rugby just happens to be one of them. Excelling in a range of different fields creates demand for their product and consequently more customers/money.

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tom Gilbert has been named in the Queensland U18 state of origin team for June 21.

I imagine that's why he's not trialling for the Queensland Schoolboys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe he is also in the QLD school rugby league team that will play in NSW next month. Jarret subloo from NC was also named

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree 100% GO. Well said! These schools are businesses and they are also institutions of excellence across a range of different fields and rugby just happens to be one of them. Excelling in a range of different fields creates demand for their product and consequently more customers/money.

Yes very valid points, in TGS's case enrollments aren't the problem as they are running at about 99% capacity and have been for some time, I think in their case from what I have heard it is more about feeding some ego's and adding to some resume's. Having all your U16 imports been told that they can sit out all the internal trials which are on again this week sends a great message to the rest of the boys, can't be great for building a culture or school sprint even if they are certainties. Leads to a bit of a us and them attitude which brings on resentment. Not sure if that's a draw card to want and send your kid their.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
A Qld 1 team before a game is even played ? Really?
I'm sure all just a bit of fun for the punters seeing how well they know the talent out there, but teams being picked on reputations is becoming , if not already ,a problem in our game.
How did the Qld teams go last year ? Play off for 4th/5th!
Track record of the Aust U20s?

Hopefully there are a bunch of lads playing next week that take the opportunity to show how good they are and how much they want it. Would be nice to think that they make a team based on their efforts rather than reputations.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So stupid
A Qld 1 team before a game is even played ? Really?

I'm sure all just a bit of fun for the punters seeing how well they know the talent out there, but teams being picked on reputations is becoming , if not already ,a problem in our game.

How did the Qld teams go last year ? Play off for 4th/5th!

Track record of the Aust U20s?

Hopefully there are a bunch of lads playing next week that take the opportunity to show how good they are and how much they want it. Would be nice to think that they make a team based on their efforts rather than reputations.

Yup, its rucking fetarded.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Well, the 13 and 11 are just randoms I have no clue who they are. And other people made it over @thekings picks

That's harsh.. I discounted all the contracted players and a bunch more turned out to be injured. Their replacements were guys I had named in GPS 2 anyway like Siggs, Tabaui-Fidow and Vela-Tupuhi.

Max Dowd and Trevor Hosea were obvious selections had they been available, and it turns out they were.

The only picks I really missed were new boys Viliami Lea and Clyde Papilla, who I imagine were only in the frame because of Stanghorn and Petaia'a injuries in the first place.

1. Halatoa Puafisi (TGS) Injured
2. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
3. Moses Alo-Emile (BSHS)
4. Tom van der Schyff (TSS) Injured
5. Harry Wilson (GT)
6. Mitch Wood (NC) Injured
7. Joe Small (NC)
8. Cullen Ngamanu (BBC)
9. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
10. Campbell Parata (TSS)
11. Dan Burns (TSS) unavailable
12. Noah Lolesio (TSS)
13. Tristan Stanghorn (ACGS) Injured
14. Jordan Petaia (BSHS) Injured
15. Byron Ralston (GT) - GPS 2 for Max Dowd

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
@theking you got close for GPS 1, now give us your QLD 1 team

1. Emosi Tuquiri (Marist)
2. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
3. Moses Alo'Emile (BSHS)
4. Trevor Hosea (BBC)
5. Harry Wilson (GT)
6. Xavier Vela-Tupuhi (BBC)
7. Joe Small (NC)
8. Cullen Ngamanu (BBC)
9. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
11. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (BGS)
12. Morne Knop (St Pats)
13. Xavier Soli (NC)
14. Ben Bucknell (Marist)
15. Max Dowd (TSS)

Still haven't seen either of the two IGS boys in the backline so hard to say if one of them will feature.

Bucknell, Tuquiri and Knop are all class players so they should fit in.

I'm hoping there are a few bolters out there. Not a particularly impressive QLD squad outside of the tight five if selectors go the direction I predict.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I heard from the Nudgee boy at 6 - that is injured that Xavier V/T is also injured.And not training/trialing?
Anyone confirm ?.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Your Kingness ....

I wouldn't go with Knopp or Bucknell....not because they are AIC guys , but frankly , they didn't perform at the AIC Level this season and are "name" guys

Best AIC midfielders I saw this year were Padua's Danny Heenan and Michael Cheer and best 15 in AIC was Lauries , Zac Steer

MCA's Kyle Van Dungren on the wing was eye catching as well and has top end talent . SPC's Louis Maritz as well

Probably the next most obvious AIC forwards ( besides Tuquiri ) that need to be in the conversation is SPC's Lachlan Connors ( 8 or 6 ) and MCA's Brayden Law at 7 ( small but punches way above his weight . Think Chris Roche )

Connors , to me , was an eye catcher in last year's Schoolboy trials , even though , Sikmetti and Skelton were the more obvious choices

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
From AIC the SLC 15 Steer, St Pats 8 Connors and MCA 7 Law should probably get a look in somewhere. Maybe SLC 9 and Padua centre as well.
In addition to Emosi Tiquri MCA who will be there somewhere, these players stood up this year. Given they pick 2 teams I would expect them to feature somewhere. The SLC 15 was QLD 7s rep, Tiquri and Connors both from U18 QLD development squad. As usual and justifiably so, the GPS boys will dominate, as thats where the majority of the talent is. Should be a good set of trials.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
That's harsh.. I discounted all the contracted players and a bunch more turned out to be injured. Their replacements were guys I had named in GPS 2 anyway like Siggs, Tabaui-Fidow and Vela-Tupuhi.

Max Dowd and Trevor Hosea were obvious selections had they been available, and it turns out they were.

The only picks I really missed were new boys Viliami Lea and Clyde Papilla, who I imagine were only in the frame because of Stanghorn and Petaia'a injuries in the first place.

1. Halatoa Puafisi (TGS) Injured
2. Eugene Koorts (IGS)
3. Moses Alo-Emile (BSHS)
4. Tom van der Schyff (TSS) Injured
5. Harry Wilson (GT)
6. Mitch Wood (NC) Injured
7. Joe Small (NC)
8. Cullen Ngamanu (BBC)
9. Phoenix Hunt (NC)
11. Dan Burns (TSS) unavailable
12. Noah Lolesio (TSS)
13. Tristan Stanghorn (ACGS) Injured
14. Jordan Petaia (BSHS) Injured
15. Byron Ralston (GT) - GPS 2 for Max Dowd

Halatoa Puafisi finished at TGS last year was injured playing A grade club rugby up here on the Downs.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Xavier V/T is also injured.And not training/trialing?
Anyone confirm ?.

Yes, Xavier copped a cork a few weeks ago that has since calcified. He says he's aiming to be back before the start of the season but may cut it fine.

Halatoa Puafisi finished at TGS last year was injured playing A grade club rugby up here on the Downs.

I've been chatting to Toa about his ACL recovery and he never corrected me! Turns out he has graduated as you say.

Your Kingness .

Duly noted! Thanks mate. I've been very hamstrung by the AIC season's clash with Premier Grade so haven't been able to seen any of their footy at all.

I'll keep an eye out for the guys you've mentioned.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Tomorrow night

GPS 1 v GPS 2 7:00pm

Anyone got the fixture list. This is what I have been able to find unofficially

Wed
4:30PM CSS v Chairmans XV
7:00PM GPS 1 v GPS 2

Thu
5:45PM GPS 2 v CSS
7:00PM AIC v GPS 1

Fri
? Chairmans XV v GPS 2
? GPS 1 v GPS 2
? CSS v AIC

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
So the missing games must be (by guestimation) ??

Wed
5:45PM GPS 3 v AIC

Thu
4:30PM GPS 3 v Chairmans XV

Status
Not open for further replies.