• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
We’re close in our views Nomad - more than what you may know or care to admit

4 to 6 is the crapshoot with TGS ( IMO ) holding advantage

Will now better next week at the true midpoint of the season but I just don’t see BBC losing to TGS at home

Personally I don’t think GT were out of form in Rd 1 - that was pretty much the best shot and they didn’t get it done . Granted , you missed Mulcahy but would he really have made a difference ?? ( no disrespect ) - I doubt it

We’ve already established Condon’s no try that directly led to a 14 point swing in GT’s favour that never would have occurred if the correct decision was made ( given that GT went over again on the ensuing kick off )

20-24 point difference on the adjustment is about right which was probably the true form margin in what occurred between NC and GT

BBC haven’t earned the right yet to be equal or beyond NC and TSS but it’s probably fair to say they’ve earned the right to seperate themselves from the rest of the field below TSS and NC

The GT boys have been going on since NC about the forward pass for the first of Nudgee’s quick second half tries, plus a supposed no arms tackle on the 9. So I’d you’re going to start clutching at straws and inventing what ifs, then you have to clutch all of them.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Zac Crothers got sent off for a dangerous tackle in the Churchie /Grammar game that wasn't him so the story goes and it commended him for taking it on the chin and not carrying on , and , the Churchie boys for keeping their composure with 1 man down .

Also an interesting feature on the Dennis Waights (Senior and Junior ) Senior used to train Clive Lloyd's West Indian team through the late 70's and he comments on the importance of young Rugby players staying flexible and skilled and not too bulked where flexibility and skill suffer

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
The GT boys have been going on since NC about the forward pass for the first of Nudgee’s quick second half tries, plus a supposed no arms tackle on the 9. So I’d you’re going to start clutching at straws and inventing what ifs, then you have to clutch all of them.

How far can we go back? I'm still salty about the 1995 NC vs GT match.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Probably could all write a book on the “what if’s “ and “could of’s / should of’s “ of rugby. I could bang out a few pages on the last two years NC v GT games alone , but that wouldn’t change the outcome , or do much for my dignity, so will refrain.

GO , think we will have to agree to disagree on round 1 , but think if you saw the match stats breakdown from a GT perspective you would agree that calling the GT performance sub par is not an overstatement. Fortunately there has been improvement across the park and the inclusion of Mulcahy has added some much needed impact. As a result, the forward pack that ran out last week is better balanced and has more impact than at the start of the season. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions........... like arseholes we all have one and just because you think you have a good one doesn’t mean someone else won’t find it a bit smelly.

Also think comparing winning margins has limitations on sorting out who’s who in the zoo.

For example : both BBC and TGS had strong wins over Downlands, IGS had a narrow win over BGS and TGS (at home ) beat IGS with a conversation on FT . Should mean tight games between BBC, TGS & IGS.

Sadly for BBC , Churchie beat BGS a little more comfortably than BBC did , so maybe a loss there .

On the bright side , GT beat BSHS by a similar margin to both NC and TSS, so BBC should comfortably account for both of those teams .

Except of course that the results of NC v Gt & IGS plus the TSS v TGS & Churchie games completely contradict everything already mentioned.

Get my point ?

They are Schoolboys, shit happens . Some teams will improve throughout the season, some won’t. Some will have more than their fair share of WTF moments, while others will cruise through. Cannot be too critical of consistency, sadly it’s never been a strong point of Australian rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Fair enough Nomad

Agree that Injuries and selections do scuttle the reliability factor in trying to do the form

Very impressed with your young bloods , 4 and 15 , from Saturday’s game

The 15 has really added some pace and whilst your 4 hasn’t played much Rugby he just gets better every game he plays. Great athlete.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Absolutely, both have stepped up well . The 4 is only in year 10 , so could be a real handful in years to come.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^ The obvious comparison for me is England’s Maro Itoji with those long arms and athleticism that just leaps out at you when you watch him

He’s a very interesting prospect

More broadly , there are a bunch of Uber athletic prospects with great size in Grade 10 playing First XV Rugby as 16 year olds - young Emarley is not on his own

WW Bench

Bob McCowan (2)
BGS V TSS
Brisbane Grammar I am a fan, and you were gallant against Churchie, even ignoring they had one of their best sent off. I am afraid there is no way out of this, TSS made a mincemeat of TGS in the Shark Tank, and they embarrassed everyone at TGS, including me who tipped a long shot upset…. dumb. TSS is playing some unbelievable rugby, Parata was a Maestro. Now I know this is difficult to believe but I have watched and re-watched the tapes, and Cambell Parata the TSS fly-half was so in control of the game, that I am pretty sure at one stage he was making the lineout calls. I know that might not be a massive surprise to some perhaps a little unorthodox at best, however, hear me out, he was making them for the Toowoomba boys and they were listening. (The throw wasn’t straight but never the less he was still calling them) .I am pretty sure he also had a chat with them at halftime as well. Brisbane Grammar I am sorry, another rugby lesson on the way. Boys don’t worry Parata will more than likely head into the change rooms and have a chat to you before the game about how he wants you to play it. TSS by 40

TGS v Nudgee
By Christ, the Farmers haven’t been flogged like that since Pa caught them kissing their cousin behind the hayshed. Even then he stopped hitting when they started crying, TSS didn’t give them that luxury, they just started hitting harder. Anyway, they were sent home licking some big wounds and now they must front up against the 2018 Premiership sure things, Nudgee. The Nudgee train is rolling and as I have said all along they are playing some terrific rugby and they have the spirit, the passion and the purpose to win this thing. As far as I can tell they will be pretty much full strength. Nudgee was again spectacular against Ipswich playing some champagne rugby against a bourbon and coke defense. Ipswich showed elements, however, Nudgee seemed well prepared and had seemingly studied any potential threats in the Swich backs. Nudgee would have studied TGS over the past week. TSS did a terrific job nullifying TGS’s danger move, which is to run the rampant Brahman Bull (big fan) in the backs through the center channel. Boys, I know thinking isn’t a favorite past time but you have to come up with some new stuff quick cause even the guy telling everyone where to park at TSS on Saturday knew that move was coming. Anyway, Farmers you have two options before Saturday, come up with something fresh, or go back behind the hayshed and grab a big handful of your cousin and make the most of it while you can because another flogging is on the way. Nudgee by 40.

Ipswich v BBC
Swich boys you are out of the fire and into the frying pan I am afraid. I know Nudgee wasn’t much fun last week but BBC isn’t going to be much better. The BBC seconds apparently gave the Downlands boys a rugby lesson on the weekend, and the 1st’s are going to do the same to Ipswich. I like some of the footy ‘the swich” is trying to play, but I am afraid it just won’t be good enough. So, I expect that when the BBC parents make their biannual God forsaken trip to Ipswich playing fields this weekend that they will be feeling somewhat buoyant about their chances, the only thing that BBC will be worried about this Saturday afternoon is the risk of getting carjacked on the way home. BBC by 18.

Churchie v Terrace
Churchie vs Terrace, so the rich proto’s against the rich micks, basically, a decider as to whose God is better. Ironically the Catholic version of God is a little more judgey, less forgiving, and happy to rain down punishment and ridicule mercilessly on anyone that might think a little differently. Sounds much more like that God would be more suited to a Churchie Mum than a Terrace Mum. Anyway, this is game is the rich Christian only version of the Crusades. Churchie dealt easily with BGS and I expect that whilst this game will be closer than that I do think that Terrace just won't be quite good enough for the Vikings. Churchie by 8.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Big morning of GPS coverage.

Schools released a joint statement with an update from meetings with QRU and Rugby AU.

Can't upload file to here, but it's on my twitter:
Also released a column this week on Tom Barker and Gregory Terrace: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/81ba2d252b256b81cedc3d98b03f6519

Didn't have room to include, but Barker's personal history is quite something..

Playing

1973-74: Brisbane State High First XV Premiership-winning lock (’73) and flanker (’74). Australian Schoolboys both years. 3 tests v Britain on tour, 2 tests in 74.
1976: Teachers-Norths Colts Premiership
1976-1981: Teachers-Norths 1st Grade
1977-81: Queensland Reds, 25 caps and unused reserve in about 25 more. Played #7 or #8, but behind talented Loane + Shaw + Cornelsen back-row.
1978: Mark Loane’s replacement on Wallaby tour to NZ. No Test, but three midweek games. Undefeated in Gold.
1979: Hong Kong Sevens win
1981: Progressively worsening injury forces retirement aged 25

Coaching

1982-85: Marist age group coaching. A’s. Combined with teaching.
1983: Coaching Teachers-Norths 1st Grade
1983-84: San Francisco Bats (Bay Area Touring, club side that also toured. akin to Samurai + Penguins)
1985: Teachers Norths Colts U19s
1985: Queensland U19 Colts.
1986-88: Formation coach of Tuggeranong Vikings.
1989-95: Nudgee College First XV, 5 Premierships
1996: Norths / Brisbane Babarians
1997-00: Souths Premier Grade (2nd, 1st, 3rd, 1st)
1998-99: Off-season coaching with Kobe-based World Company team. No longer exists.
2000: Asst Coach Aus U21s
2000/01: Brumbies coaching co-ordinator w/ Eddie Jones. Andrew Blades, Glen Ella. 2000 title.
2002/03: NEC won all-Japan championship.
2004-09: Churchie First XV ('05 Premiership)
2011-14: BBC First XV
2015-17: Terrace A/B program
2018: Terrace First XV

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
BGS V TSSTSS by 35
TGS v NudgeeNC by 20
Ipswich v BBCIPS will make it hard for the 1st Half - BBC by 15
Churchie v TerraceChurchie forwards will not give up and Churchie defence is solid. Leaning towards GT but - Churchie by 5

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The Nudge are a false prophet this season imo

They can take down TSS at Ross in the last round , however , there are a couple of major hurdles for the Blue and White before then

But oh how I love them so

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
The Nudge are a false prophet this season imo

They can take down TSS at Ross in the last round , however , there are a couple of major hurdles for the Blue and White before then

But oh how I love them so

Watching NC in the last 8-9 Year’s I’ve never seen a first XV so devoid of superstars however never seen a year so strong in depth. Possibly up to 5- 6 first choice players out however gut feel is they clean up in Opens again. This is a very tight year. All first XV teams seem to have a day off during the season however I don’t think it will be this weekend. Good luck to all the boys and hopefully no major injuries.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The Nudge , and in recent times , TSS , have always had the march on everyone else when it comes to depth and "next man up"

But TGS really seem to have put an Opens Squad forward this year that can seriously challenge NC's and TSS's claims of being able to go deepest . BBC may even moreso.

The fun and games start tomorrow with TGS hosting NC. I wouldn't read too much into TGS getting blitzed in the 2nd half last week . One shit half doesn't write off their season - they'll re-group and be tough as at Home . Nudgee just don't present the same physical challenge as TSS and TGS can really throw a significant spanner into the works with a win at Home tomorrow . It might end up being one of the most defining games of the GPS First XV season in how it plays out.

Naturally , the main focus will be on the First XV result , however, the 2nd XV and 16A results will also add some context as to who is who in the zoo when it comes to looking at the reality of depth and whether claims of having it are legit.

Interestingly , last week :

2nds

TSS 12 v TGS 7

16A's

TSS 17 v TGS 14