• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/school-rugby/obhs-move-skip-game-questioned

When you read this from their own local rag I strongly doubt that Otago Boys High travelled all this way to play their reserves. If you were there for their Haka , Blue, you would have also likely gleaned better context of the game rather than what you have spun ( above ) You should also take into account they are well into their First XV season , and therefore , for better or worse - they have selected their starters and reserves.

To note , BBC were also playing their 2nd game in 7 days

To further note , BBC had a player sent to the bin for 10m at the 5 minute mark of the 2nd half

Credit to Otago Boys High - they were as physical a team that BBC are likely to face this season . Their pick and drive game and their ability to eliminate the threat at the breakdown was brutal and very well executed. But they certainly got as good as they gave. And then some.

Hats off to the BBC’s team defensive commitment

EDIT : Heard from another BBC supporter who was talking to some Otago parents , in game , who commented that their boys expected to win by "50 points" and they were complimentary toward , and surprised , by BBC's performance

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
https://hstop200.com/top-25-1xv-teams/

Out of interest Otago Boys High School are "ranked" No 12 nationally out of 100 Schools

Essentially there are 2 x "Premier" Schools Competition in the South Island - Otago Region ( Highlanders ) and Christchurch Region ( Cruasders )

In the Otago Premier Schools Region the 2 x dominant teams seem to be Otago Boys High and Southland.

In the Christchurch competition -Christchurch Boys High are "ranked" No 4 nationally

At season's end - the winner of the Otago Premier Schools competition ( Highlanders ) plays the winner of the Christchurch Schools competition ( Crusaders ) - the winner of which goes and represents The South Island in the First XV Schools Final Four ( Blues , Chiefs , Wellington being the other 3 )

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
https://hstop200.com/top-25-1xv-teams/

Out of interest Otago Boys High School are "ranked" No 12 nationally out of 100 Schools

Essentially there are 2 x "Premier" Schools Competition in the South Island - Otago Region ( Highlanders ) and Christchurch Region ( Cruasders )

In the Otago Premier Schools Region the 2 x dominant teams seem to be Otago Boys High and Southland.

In the Christchurch competition -Christchurch Boys High are "ranked" No 4 nationally

At season's end - the winner of the Otago Premier Schools competition ( Highlanders ) plays the winner of the Christchurch Schools competition ( Crusaders ) - the winner of which goes and represents The South Island in the First XV Schools Final Four ( Blues , Chiefs , Wellington being the other 3 )

Richie McCaw's old school :)

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/school-rugby/obhs-move-skip-game-questioned

When you read this from their own local rag I strongly doubt that Otago Boys High travelled all this way to play their reserves. If you were there for their Haka , Blue, you would have also likely gleaned better context of the game rather than what you have spun ( above ) You should also take into account they are well into their First XV season , and therefore , for better or worse - they have selected their starters and reserves.

To note , BBC were playing their 2nd game in 7 days

To further note , BBC had a player sent to the bin for 10m at the 5 minute mark of the 2nd half

Credit to Otago Boys High - they were as physical a team that BBC are likely to face this season . Their pick and drive game and their ability to eliminate the threat at the breakdown was brutal and very well executed. But they certainly got as good as they gave. And then some.

Hats off the BBC’s team defensive commitment

EDIT : Heard from another BBC supporter who was talking to some Otago parents , in game , who commented that their boys expected to win by "50 points" and they were complimentary toward , and surprised , by BBC's performance

Keep BBC at $8 Gary Owens they don’t perform with the favourites tag

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Ok the jig is up ........admittedly , it was a sly price - designed to give some value to a faithful few ( and astute ) true believers

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think this year level at BBC were first anointed future First XV premiers back when they were towelling every other team up by plenty as U13s by the "faithful few" in 2014. Nice early call, very astute.....

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^Well the excitement was palpable at that time given that BBC hadn't even won a chook raffle up until that point. Expectations have since been tempered

Afterall .......a couple of others Schools and their supporters swig the Kool Aid so much better

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
I wouldn't be breaking out the champers down on Miskin just yet. 2014 is a long time ago and BBC still haven't won the DIV 1 Lotto prize and 2018 will be another div 3 or 4 result!!

Backs are strong - with 10 and the back 3 the stand outs. Forwards are small from front row to back row, they will struggle in the set piece and at the breakdown and importantly there is no depth in any position (backs or forwards).

NC and TSS win comps with the majority of 17 turning 18 yo's (or turned 18) and a lot of size and depth. BBC has a lot of 15/16/17 yo's with no size and no depth.

I wish them well but 2018 will not be their year.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I wouldn't be breaking out the champers down on Miskin just yet. 2014 is a long time ago and BBC still haven't won the DIV 1 Lotto prize and 2018 will be another div 3 or 4 result!!

Backs are strong - with 10 and the back 3 the stand outs. Forwards are small from front row to back row, they will struggle in the set piece and at the breakdown and importantly there is no depth in any position (backs or forwards).

NC and TSS win comps with the majority of 17 turning 18 yo's (or turned 18) and a lot of size and depth. BBC has a lot of 15/16/17 yo's with no size and no depth.

Definitely correct in the mostly 18 year olds comment , think TSS had 9 of their First XV 18 ,or soon to turn 18 , last year.

Next year will be the first of the Prep intake to hit year 12. This basically means approximately half of the senior year of all schools will be turning 18. You would expect First XV squads from next year on to be predominantly 18 year olds across all schools , rather than just TSS and NC. Guess we will see if that causes a power shift in GPS First XV rugby ... but then of course there is still the coaching , depth , culture etc .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

I wish them well too but as U16 last year BBC could not field below 16B who won 2games and 16A finish’s equal 3rd, hardly a platform for a successful 1st XV. Their U15 year group from last year were strong, interesting to see if they stopped growing which is what happens when you recruit in Y8 not Y11 line TSS.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
So let's see if we can piece together this BBC team with a few names.

1. Sebastian Martin
2. Isaac Talbot
3. Oscar Ruru
4. Tavita Roma
5. Jack Gallagher
7. Connor Hayes
8. Jack Kelly
9. Will Deck
10. Carter Gordon
11. Shayden Stevens
12. Tetuai 'Waiwai' Raoren
13. Jack Howarth
14. Matt Stirling
15. Jack Bowyer-Bowen (younger brother of Josh, which should make him a nephew of Matty Bowen)

How did I do?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Definitely correct in the mostly 18 year olds comment , think TSS had 9 of their First XV 18 ,or soon to turn 18 , last year.

Next year will be the first of the Prep intake to hit year 12. This basically means approximately half of the senior year of all schools will be turning 18. You would expect First XV squads from next year on to be predominantly 18 year olds across all schools , rather than just TSS and NC. Guess we will see if that causes a power shift in GPS First XV rugby . but then of course there is still the coaching , depth , culture etc ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello Nomad, does mean the inclusion of 18 year olds, now extends throughout entire year groups in the GPS and TAS system. Because if does, Queensland School Boy Rugby, moves closer in depth to NSW Schools. I noticed most schools rarely go beyond a 6XVth, even powerhouses such as Nudge are small in numbers within open division in comparison to NSW Schools.Who might produce teams between 12 (Joeys) and 8. Only Newington in NSW GPS has 6 in the Open Division.

If so I look forward to the expansion of Queensland Schools Rugby within each school, as numbers could double. Such an increase depth, will add a new dimension to your competitions.

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)
I wish them well too but as U16 last year BBC could not field below 16B who won 2games and 16A finish’s equal 3rd, hardly a platform for a successful 1st XV. Their U15 year group from last year were strong, interesting to see if they stopped growing which is what happens when you recruit in Y8 not Y11 line TSS.

As I have said in a previous comment, BBC teams are predominatnly picked around parental involvement and emails, which again will happen this year, so they will have a good team but not the best team they could field.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi Black &White, do you know if the NSW GPS comp runs an U16s as we do in the QLD GPS comp? The more traditional rugby schools up here will often have 5/6th division in Opens plus U16s down to the Es.
Obviously would make a difference if you grouped all of 16s and opens (17s/18s) into one .

And to answer your question , yes , from next year there will be a lot more 18 year olds in year 12 across all competitions in QLD. Would be great to think that this will increase our numbers playing rugby in final year of school , but you never know.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So let's see if we can piece together this BBC team with a few names.

1. Sebastian Martin
2. Isaac Talbot
3. Oscar Ruru
4. Tavita Roma
5. Jack Gallagher
7. Connor Hayes
8. Jack Kelly
9. Will Deck
10. Carter Gordon
11. Shayden Stevens
12. Tetuai 'Waiwai' Raoren
13. Jack Howarth
14. Matt Stirling
15. Jack Bowyer-Bowen (younger brother of Josh, which should make him a nephew of Matty Bowen)

How did I do?

I'd add Jake Tierney (2) and George Gibson (6). Both standouts at Qld U15 State Champs and in the Junior Gold Cup.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Hi Black &White, do you know if the NSW GPS comp runs an U16s as we do in the QLD GPS comp? The more traditional rugby schools up here will often have 5/6th division in Opens plus U16s down to the Es.
Obviously would make a difference if you grouped all of 16s and opens (17s/18s) into one .

And to answer your question , yes , from next year there will be a lot more 18 year olds in year 12 across all competitions in QLD. Would be great to think that this will increase our numbers playing rugby in final year of school , but you never know.

Yes - the AAGPS in NSW has U13-16s, and then Opens (traditionally Yr.11 & 12 students).

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

Thanks Nomad, I hope its the beginning of a new era in Queensland Schools Rugby. Yes, it might start slowly but here in NSW, many boys return to Rugby in their final year at school. In some cases, whole teams are composed of 18 year olds in Year 12 with some lower teams having something of a cult statues, amongst their peers.

I would expect based on observations that the boarding Schools will benefit more than the day schools. And Schools such as Nudgee are likely to display their enhanced depth early on. Equally, Toowoomba Grammar with a strong boarding population, could also emerge at least in terms of depth, as new force in GPS Rugby. With potentially two or three Rugby teams added to your open divisions per school, I see the Queenslands GPS with its 9 schools and the 8 of TAS surpassing NSW as the player base for Australian Rugby. In NSW we have 6 Top level rugby playing schools and 6 in the CAS. The ISA also have 6 schools. But in many cases some ISA and CAS schools would struggle beat a 3rd XV from Joeys.

I look forward to reading about this and it could change the face of Queensland Schoolboy Rugby, if not Australian Schoolboy Rugby.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks Nomad, I hope its the beginning of a new era in Queensland Schools Rugby. Yes, it might start slowly but here in NSW, many boys return to Rugby in their final year at school. In some cases, whole teams are composed of 18 year olds in Year 12 with some lower teams having something of a cult statues, amongst their peers.

I would expect based on observations that the boarding Schools will benefit more than the day schools. And Schools such as Nudgee are likely to display their enhanced depth early on. Equally, Toowoomba Grammar with a strong boarding population, could also emerge at least in terms of depth, as new force in GPS Rugby. With potentially two or three Rugby teams added to your open divisions per school, I see the Queenslands GPS with its 9 schools and the 8 of TAS surpassing NSW as the player base for Australian Rugby. In NSW we have 6 Top level rugby playing schools and 6 in the CAS. The ISA also have 6 schools. But in many cases some ISA and CAS schools would struggle beat a 3rd XV from Joeys.

I look forward to reading about this and it could change the face of Queensland Schoolboy Rugby, if not Australian Schoolboy Rugby.

Yes B and W from 2018 Qld will be 18 ...at least by June 30.
Are you a former Qlder? Been away a while....20 years ago the better TAS schools split away to form AIC and TAS are now all co Ed and rugby not a big deal...no scholarships allowed at AIC and raided by GPS but interestingly ...even though soccer is played in the same term as rugby...numbers have held ok....ASH and SLC played last week and had opens down to 5ths and had at least 4 teams in each year...ASh and SLC fielded 7 year 7 teams.....GPS have no soccer at the sameness time so disappointed that some of the years are not fielding many teams.....someone told me Ippy Grammar had only 1 open team is that true?
We in the land of AIC worry that little Jonny gets turned off rugby knowing that he might nearly get to the top of the mountain and find you know who atanding at the top in his 1xv jersey...another thread I know but this is relevant.....will next years comp in all competitions be a bit b low standard because of the half year intake currently in year 11 ??