• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
Sure - the rules are getting ridiculous - if you aren't contesting scrums at an A level - we really aren't playing Rugby anymore are we! I think each A team should be able to play this card once (injuries happen) after that forfeit - play the game but you have already lost.

Couldn't agree more BAG

Let The Boys Play

Frank Row (1)
Sure - the rules are getting ridiculous - if you aren't contesting scrums at an A level - we really aren't playing Rugby anymore are we! I think each A team should be able to play this card once (injuries happen) after that forfeit - play the game but you have already lost.
To add to your point (in which I completely agree), this takes away valuable time to opposition preparation which shouldn't be undervalued

P

Patriot

I believe lots of schools are having problems in the front row because rather than picking a tighthead, hooker and loosehead they are picking the best 15 players In the squad and throwing them in where ever.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Yep , the old adage was the first bloke picked was the THP , the second bloke picked was your reserve THP.

Tight five identification and development has to happen earlier, this definitely needs attention and supervision over and above age group coaches in the U12-U15 age groups. If the coach has no idea , how are the kids meant to.

All clubs and schools should have a scrum/ set piece coach available that can over look these age groups , rather than trying to turn larger than average back rowers into THP's at 16 years of age.

P

Patriot

^ Yep , the old adage was the first bloke picked was the THP , the second bloke picked was your reserve THP.

Tight five identification and development has to happen earlier, this definitely needs attention and supervision over and above age group coaches in the U12-U15 age groups. If the coach has no idea , how are the kids meant to.

All clubs and schools should have a scrum/ set piece coach available that can over look these age groups , rather than trying to turn larger than average back rowers into THP's at 16 years of age.

Agreeded. I would say tight 5 identification and development is not happening at all. I saw an Under 14 A front rower get twisted into pretzel in a scrum at TSS on the week end and carted off in an ambulance, i reckon it’s because of years of zero scrummage instruction and being placed their just because he’s the biggest in the team and can run the ball well.

A

Aussie Luke

So I understand that last weekend TSS won two games against Nudgee across the whole day: the firsts by one poInt after the bell and the 4ths won by two points. There were however some supplemtary games where lower grades from Nudgee played higher grades from TSS and TSS won. Overall though, I don’t think TSS can be considered to have a very strong rugby culture or programme on the back of such results. It seems like there is money spent on a sugar coating approach by having a successful first firsteen team but no foundation that underlies it. My impression was that they’d built a rugby culture there to rival Nudgee but they are light years away from this.

P

Patriot

So I understand that last weekend TSS won two games against Nudgee across the whole day: the firsts by one poInt after the bell and the 4ths won by two points. There were however some supplemtary games where lower grades from Nudgee played higher grades from TSS and TSS won. Overall though, I don’t think TSS can be considered to have a very strong rugby culture or programme on the back of such results. It seems like there is money spent on a sugar coating approach by having a successful first firsteen team but no foundation that underlies it. My impression was that they’d built a rugby culture there to rival Nudgee but they are light years away from this.

Nudgee do a fair bit of sugar coating, as do all.

A

Aussie Luke

I couldn’t agree less. Nudgee has a rugby culture that runs from the As to the Gs and they win or compete as strongly through the grades equally or more strongly than their First XV. Unless they are offering rugby scholarships for their 13Gs etc. it’s more likely that they have a strong rugby culture rather than just sugar coating with a First XV.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
I couldn’t agree less. Nudgee has a rugby culture that runs from the As to the Gs and they win or compete as strongly through the grades equally or more strongly than their First XV. Unless they are offering rugby scholarships for their 13Gs etc. it’s more likely that they have a strong rugby culture rather than just sugar coating with a First XV.

So true!

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I’m with you Confucius, if a player can’t tackle, the word ‘exceptional’ is completely overrated. Hearing all this hype about players who can’t tackle or pass a decent ball is ludicrous.
PS. How many BBC kids do you reckon are on here?

Can’t find the #exceptional post but did find your tips from last week and subsequent comment re wishful thinking so it’s easy to see your anti BBC hype.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Can’t find the #exceptional post but did find your tips from last week and subsequent comment re wishful thinking so it’s easy to see your anti BBC hype.
BBC have a strong outfit this year and IMO have the best chance of the Premiership after watching all Round 1 games. I see real rugby talent in George Gibson, Andrew Romano, Mason Gordon and Taj Annan. Not anti BBC just wouldn’t mind seeing them drop a game.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I was the offender when I ruffled Mr Confucious’s feathers by referring to Ipswich’s Centres as “exceptional defenders”

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Speaking of Ipswich, their 11 Malique Douthat-Sjoberg looks like one to watch. His try on State High last week was something else

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)

Danger game for BBC this weekend.
Still no Bowyer/Rau Rau/ Wald and now Tiernay(Qld under 18) out.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
OK who got who this weekend - Tipping could be thought to be fairly straight forward. First round nerves out of the way and all teams now know what is required. Another cracking day weather wise and great schoolboy rugby on show.

ACGS vs TSS: TSS by 12. Will be harder that TSS thinks. Churchie over the past seasons have made TSS work hard for the win.
GT vs BBC: BBC by 15 - to win the clash of the centres will be interesting.
BSHS vs NC: NC by 14 to win but BSHS will improve from the effort last week.
BGS vs IGS: IGS by 28 - The Ippy big boys and twinkle toe backs could have a big day at BGS

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
ACGS V TSS - TSS by 30+
GT V BBC - BBC by 25+
BSHS V NC - NC by 8
BGS v IGS - IGS by 15

State High to bounce back with a better performance than last weekend to make this the match of the round.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm with you Hound - but with the following exceptions :

1. Churchie really screwed the pooch ( again ) last Saturday. BBC's line pressure really took them out of the game but Churchie are better than that and I think Churchie can get an edge in the halves and the midfield - the battle between Sword Jr and Fifita should be a treat to watch. I'm thinking TSS still prevail but I give them a range of 15-18 points ( v your 12 )

2. Again , another Centre match up to look forward to. I agree with BAG's earlier comments ; Glen Vahiu was in top form and looked dangerous. Also agree with Nomad that Terrace really need to think about getting David Vahiu closer to the ball - and yeah a Vahiu brothers centre pairing would be pretty good. BBC have too many guns though and will maintain the rage to put at least double on your 15 point spread . I'm calling 30 to 35 + .

3. The marquee match up at Suncorp - both sides will be jacked . I agree that State High have a lot more improvement in them and I reckon they lift to give it a red hot crack on the big stage. A lot of this depends on the pace in which the game is played at. A high tempo game and it could be a big points blowout in Nudgee's favour but slower tempo suits State High and will keep them close but not close enough in the end . Agree - 14'ish up to 17 feels about right . Looking forward to another Centre match up in the midfield where Lastus had a big game last week and Joubert was subdued after some good early touches /carries. It's time for Sam Silli to come to the party and show his class - and I reckon he can be a factor with a match up advantage.

4. Good to see IGS getting a few wraps and yeah they looked good last week. But is The Phantom playing ? ( Mr Walker - Ghost who walks ) Hard to get a read on this one and might be the most surprising game of the round. Grammar have a few new talent additions from what I am hearing and was their bug bear last season given they lost 6 of their 8 games by one score. They will be very well prepared and might have the best Coaching impact factor in the competition when you consider how they competed and managed to be in games last year ( also credit to some big hearted players ) . They have mettle , coaching talent and now some playing talent additions - really looking forward to seeing how they go this year. I'm expecting a lot of scrap from their pack that kills a lot of ball and slows the tempo down that doesn't suit the Ipswich Jets. I still think Ipswich prevail. Ipswich by 5 ( on the basis that the Phantom is out )