• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can any BBC supporters clarify what’s happening in the lower grades? Apparently only 2 U15 teams, only 2 U14 teams (just), 2 U13 teams but no A team. And only one U12 team.

Any truth to that?

Your Facts are not correct.way off.
There are 4 open teams 5 under 15 teams.My nephew is in the mighty 15 Es
4 under 14 teams.
But you are correct- under 13 has no A team. Only a B& C team
.new headmaster from NSW has not put an $ into sport or coaching.
Record number of international students & robotic teams.The "new direction"he says.

S

Sgt Slaughter

The unfortunate serious injuries sustained last year in school rugby probably has had an effect on participation particularly in the younger age groups.

I agree - BSHS have key players that sustained big injuries from last years 1st XV season, some have undergone surgery for knees/ankles to full shoulder reconstruction.

On other news it is reported the BSHS 15 broke his ankle in the NC trial at East and will be out for the rest of the season - also reports another broke his hand. Sad to see so many injuries at such a young age.

Do you think schools should implement a better assessment process for younger players like club? And should Yr10s be allowed to play 1st XV or should their bodies better left to develop regardless of size and skill level?

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
And should Yr10s be allowed to play 1st XV or should their bodies better left to develop regardless of size and skill level?

Pretty sure you now have to be turning 16 in the year to play firsts (so traditional Yr 11) the new school year (July - Jun) has half of Yr 10 turning 16 in that year, that is why we are seeing so many Yr 10s in squads.

I am very supportive of not allowing U15 to play First XV Rugby.

P

Patriot

@ Will Jackson .

At $25K per compared to $12K ( tops ) in non GPS schools ...or for nix at BSHS , or $15K per at Cath Ed subsidised GPS Schools

Yeah ..

Nah

The reality is Rugby at National and State levels have moved swiftly to deconstruct GPS Schools Rugby in the last 2 years in particular and there is no advantage for the higher aspirational type to be there .

If you want to just play with your mates for the fun of it in "like for like" type competition this is what is driving the push with what you are seeing at U13 level and down , which is fine - if everyone is doing it .

Within 3 to 5 years the Brisbane GPS Schools Rugby competition - what has arguably been the consistently best Schoolboy Rugby competition is Australia for the last 10 to 15 years - will look a lot like the Sydney AAGPS Rugby competition with 2 or 3 Schools seemingly headed in the direction of Sydney High and Grammar

It is already happening in an unfortunate confluence of the wilful deconstruct and de-emphasis of this prospect pool from the Game's Administrators and some School's Administrators as they chase the higher coin in the International School model.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts in its current format

Sorry mate,

What do mean by deconstruct and de-emphasise

Warrenball

Bob McCowan (2)
4 under 14 teams.
Record number of international students & robotic teams.The "new direction"he says.

The 'new direction' line seems all too familiar in a few schools it's fair to say, very sad. GO raised some good points above that like it or not a number of schools are heading the way of some of our Sydney counterparts. Headmasters can have such a massive influence on the culture/focus of a school. We have seen this impact in both GPS and AIC and while Schools will continue on, rugby is sadly the loser in it all.

Schools like BGS, High and BBC - either the head or the board of trustees will ultimately steer the ship the way it's been steered with Sydney Grammar and Sydney Boy's. High being the in the comp in particular is important in my view - when you talk to people within there it's amazing how they even compete some years with what they've got available to them, hats off to those in charge; it also alleviates the private school elite persona within GPS and rugby in general. BBC and BGS are foundation schools where sport is massive in their DNA, Churchie heading in the same direction also. Schools needs more headmasters like Dr Carrol at Terrace - a rugby man through and through.

I really hope things change in these schools, rugby needs a competitive and alive schools competition. GPS Rugby is a great product, long may it continue.

S

Sgt Slaughter

@ Will Jackson .

At $25K per compared to $12K ( tops ) in non GPS schools ...or for nix at BSHS , or $15K per at Cath Ed subsidised GPS Schools

Yeah ..

Nah

The reality is Rugby at National and State levels have moved swiftly to deconstruct GPS Schools Rugby in the last 2 years in particular and there is no advantage for the higher aspirational type to be there .

If you want to just play with your mates for the fun of it in "like for like" type competition this is what is driving the push with what you are seeing at U13 level and down , which is fine - if everyone is doing it .

Within 3 to 5 years the Brisbane GPS Schools Rugby competition - what has arguably been the consistently best Schoolboy Rugby competition is Australia for the last 10 to 15 years - will look a lot like the Sydney AAGPS Rugby competition with 2 or 3 Schools seemingly headed in the direction of Sydney High and Grammar

It is already happening in an unfortunate confluence of the wilful deconstruct and de-emphasis of this prospect pool from the Game's Administrators and some School's Administrators as they chase the higher coin in the International School model.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts in its current format

Change is always good - two things happen with change, it either improves things or it makes you appreciate what was and you revert back with learnings. If nothing ever changed we would still be living in caves.....and I wouldn’t be talking to you fine people while I’m suppose to be working lol

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
4 under 14 teams.

Are you basing that on last year teams in the age groups below or has BBC already got their E's out on the training paddock?

BBC certainly fell short of 30 players in the 14's on the weekend with a number of boys playing in both the A and B teams to make up the numbers - injuries which are par for the course at BBC did bite as I understand it - presumably they have more boys not part of the AB programs that will make up numbers in a B probably c team - but no doubt the numbers and standards of BBC 12-14s in considerably down on past years.

A fair deal of concern for Rugby moving forward (including numbers and coaching) with BBC parents I encountered.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Terrace might be able to beat BBC for a change (in recent history)

Y'know some Educators feel that these are Schools and aren't to be hijacked as Sports Academies - especially Rugby Academies

This is a shame as everyone has an Academy these days ........I mean its what you do ! And if you haven't got an Academy then what have you got ? Nothing ! And with nothing there is nowhere for the prodigies to hang their junior development contracts.

I tell you what though no one will catch BBC in Robotics or Chess !

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Terrace might be able to beat BBC for a change (in recent history)

Y'know some Educators feel that these are Schools and aren't to be hijacked as Sports Academies - especially Rugby Academies

This is a shame as everyone has an Academy these days ....I mean its what you do ! And if you haven't got an Academy then what have you got ? Nothing ! And with nothing there is nowhere for the prodigies to hang their junior development contracts.

I tell you what though no one will catch BBC in Robotics or Chess !

Interesting you cite Chess given BBC has never won the title and ACGS and BGS have 23 of the last 26 between them - maybe BBC are running in the wrong direction, hence no one catching them.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well certainly not in Track and Field or Cross Country in the last couple of years and over the course of the next couple of years

Hey now ......hey now ..........

And it is cite, BAG.

Cite.

And future tense too. Good to know though given that BGS are a worthy target . Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
4 under 14 teams.

At this stage of the preseason that most schools are only running with an A/B program, with the might C's to E's kicking off their campaigns next term. The numbers participating still seem healthy enough but I guess we won't have a true indication until round 1.

The BBC V GT 15A trial on Saturday ended in a 14 all draw. Great display from both teams with the defence from both packs the standout and the cleanout of rucks at times frightening. GT gave away a lot in size but made it up with pure grit. BBC 10 is a class act and their wingers have a fast set of wheels.

Haven't heard much about last year's premiers in the age group - BSHS, apparently a few playing RL for Logan Brothers. Churchie 15A's are big movers from last year and could well be the dark horse in this group (last place in 2018). TSS 14A's also only one win last year, so will be interesting to see how they've developed during the off season as well. IGS bigger than ever and certainly a contender. BGS also a team capable of causing an upset. There's a lot to like from this group.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Are you basing that on last year teams in the age groups below or has BBC already got their E's out on the training paddock?

BBC certainly fell short of 30 players in the 14's on the weekend with a number of boys playing in both the A and B teams to make up the numbers - injuries which are par for the course at BBC did bite as I understand it - presumably they have more boys not part of the AB programs that will make up numbers in a B probably c team - but no doubt the numbers and standards of BBC 12-14s in considerably down on past years.

A fair deal of concern for Rugby moving forward (including numbers and coaching) with BBC parents I encountered.

It is clear that the current Headmaster, is out of step with the traditional ethos of a mainstream independent boys school such as BBC. Schools that lose their Rugby Ethos and tradition, I can assure you become lesser schools in their outlook. As school spirit declines and the identity of being part of an elite GPS sports competition declines. Without the focus of Rugby as major winter sport, the Boys become inward looking and seek more individual sports such as bike riding, winter swimming, martial arts, fencing and rifle shooting. All good sports but their smaller numbers and individualistic outlook do not promote a school identity, that Rugby does on as Saturday afternoon. I have seen this happen, at Sydney Grammar and Sydney High.

A Headmaster that goes against cultural traditions is asking for trouble career wise. Its one one thing to create new sporting traditions, its another to destroy established Sports. If I was a BBC Old Boy, Parent or Benefactor I would be "up in arms". Headmaster's can only survive if they have the support of these groups. Someone at BBC needs to point this out to this gentleman, that he needs to safeguard traditions such as Rugby. Otherwise, he should be deemed incompatible to a GPS school and seek employment elsewhere. Supporters of BBC, get the Rugby supporters onto the controlling school board and tell him this is not the direction the school is to go down. I am sure too many people at BBC have worked very hard to get BBC to its current Rugby Standard. As such, this Headmaster needs to be opposed by Parents and Old Boys. Believe me, Headmaster's tend to be ambitious Individuals and when opposed by a school board, and their job is threatened, they will tend to back down. Of course its up to individuals concerned that I mentioned.

If Rugby fails at BBC, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
TSS 14A's also only one win last year, so will be interesting to see how they've developed during the off season as well

KFC : TSS and NC always big improvers in the 15 year old age group. It's when both schools seriously start building towards their future First XV squads, not unusual at all to see TSS jump from bottom of the table to near the top in this age group , will often notice a few new faces to compliment the NC team , no school does their forward planning better.

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
TSS 14A's also only one win last year, so will be interesting to see how they've developed during the off season as well

KFC : TSS and NC always big improvers in the 15 year old age group. It's when both schools seriously start building towards their future First XV squads, not unusual at all to see TSS jump from bottom of the table to near the top in this age group , will often notice a few new faces to compliment the NC team , no school does their forward planning better.

Hi Nomad

Are you aware whether the 12 for NC last year has indeed gone to SYD?

If so, that is a bit of a gap they will need to fill (which undoubtedly they will).

Cheers

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting you site Chess given BBC has never won the title and ACGS and BGS have 23 of the last 26 between them - maybe BBC are running in the wrong direction, hence no one catching them.

Hasn't BBC already won Volleyball ,tennis & x/country this year? And surely T &F for the 4th year in a row.
Oh no-we play them in tennis this weekend.

Reactions: Ear

Keeper

Bob McCowan (2)
It is clear that the current Headmaster, is out of step with the traditional ethos of a mainstream independent boys school such as BBC. Schools that lose their Rugby Ethos and tradition, I can assure you become lesser schools in their outlook. As school spirit declines and the identity of being part of an elite GPS sports competition declines. Without the focus of Rugby as major winter sport, the Boys become inward looking and seek more individual sports such as bike riding, winter swimming, martial arts, fencing and rifle shooting. All good sports but their smaller numbers and individualistic outlook do not promote a school identity, that Rugby does on as Saturday afternoon. I have seen this happen, at Sydney Grammar and Sydney High.

A Headmaster that goes against cultural traditions is asking for trouble career wise. Its one one thing to create new sporting traditions, its another to destroy established Sports. If I was a BBC Old Boy, Parent or Benefactor I would be "up in arms". Headmaster's can only survive if they have the support of these groups. Someone at BBC needs to point this out to this gentleman, that he needs to safeguard traditions such as Rugby. Otherwise, he should be deemed incompatible to a GPS school and seek employment elsewhere. Supporters of BBC, get the Rugby supporters onto the controlling school board and tell him this is not the direction the school is to go down. I am sure too many people at BBC have worked very hard to get BBC to its current Rugby Standard. As such, this Headmaster needs to be opposed by Parents and Old Boys. Believe me, Headmaster's tend to be ambitious Individuals and when opposed by a school board, and their job is threatened, they will tend to back down. Of course its up to individuals concerned that I mentioned.

If Rugby fails at BBC, they will have no one to blame but themselves.

I think you will find that this direction is coming from governing Board itself. There is no doubt a view that BBC has focused too much on sport and not enough on other areas (eg religious based scholarships) and that I suspect when the Head was appointed he was given direction to reduce the number of sporting scholarships full stop.

Just google the PMSA board and you will soon realise what they are like. They have no understanding of the role sport plays in the culture of a school and in particular a sport like rugby.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Terrace remains competitive in rugby and most other sports and still delivers academically - maybe they have got it right.

Try telling that to the 16 BBC boys (4 teams)in under 15 tennis -who could not play in round 2 because GT did not have a single /zip under 15 team.

Huge numbers in GT soccer i see.

Reactions: Ear

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think you will find that this direction is coming from governing Board itself. There is no doubt a view that BBC has focused too much on sport and not enough on other areas (eg religious based scholarships) and that I suspect when the Head was appointed he was given direction to reduce the number of sporting scholarships full stop.

Just google the PMSA board and you will soon realise what they are like. They have no understanding of the role sport plays in the culture of a school and in particular a sport like rugby.

110% correct AND no parents allowed on BBC school council( most are church appointees)-real grassroots understanding that brings you.