• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

marc peries

Frank Row (1)
I dunno, they play with heart and skill but bottom 3 this year I think.

heart is definitely there, must keep in mind virtually brand new program, coaches first season and a brand new team, cant make excuses there tho, definitely some clear mistakes. On the whole, how good is this!! what a whirlwind start to the season, some upsets and some wash outs, keen to see how the season pans out.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, nah, i don’t think it’s gooses like me that have soccer numbers up.

In my opinion there are a number of reasons
1) over protective parents.
2) a growing apathy for tradition.
3) soccer is the politically correct sport to play.
4) a lack of ‘toughness’ in today’s youth, a phenomenon we are seeing more of as we get further away from the generation of people that won WW2

I could go on and on

access to coaches a possible factor too? Being a rugby coach is damn hard. Limited access to kids, and you've got to spend that time between technical coach, strategy, cohesion and safety and how often do you actually get the full team together.

Now Soccer, and forgive me ignorance, must be easier to coach. "He's a round ball kids, kick it into that net"

B

Big Dog

On a side note the mighty Churchie 5th XV had a win at the death to a strong TSS outfit on the weekend. I must commend the 5ths fly half for scoring the total 10 points one penalty try and one penalty conversion. TSS put up a fight scoring a try with 4 minutes to go however the conversion was missed which put the score at 5 to 3 to TSS. After the kick off Churchie regained the ball and with in a few phases the fly half put a grubber out the back he was consequently given a penalty try as awarded by the TMO. This put the final score to 10 to 5 towards Churchie with the last play to go, the Churchie pack managed to secure the kick off and successfully kicked it out, which was followed by a storming of long field by the supporters. Look forward to seeing the stands full for Fifths games to come and as always #FTN.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Mr Jets, any chance of including the Downlands games in the tipping comp from here on in? I think that might end up being a good sorter a outerer

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On a side note the mighty Churchie 5th XV had a win at the death to a strong TSS outfit on the weekend. I must commend the 5ths fly half for scoring the total 10 points one penalty try and one penalty conversion. TSS put up a fight scoring a try with 4 minutes to go however the conversion was missed which put the score at 5 to 3 to TSS. After the kick off Churchie regained the ball and with in a few phases the fly half put a grubber out the back he was consequently given a penalty try as awarded by the TMO. This put the final score to 10 to 5 towards Churchie with the last play to go, the Churchie pack managed to secure the kick off and successfully kicked it out, which was followed by a storming of long field by the supporters. Look forward to seeing the stands full for Fifths games to come and as always #FTN.

teams get penalty tries. Not players.

You scored 3 points, not 10.

marc peries

Frank Row (1)
oh, and I assume it was a spare period at Chuchie just now? Students keeping themselves busy signing up to GAGR

fail to see whats wrong with this, just some passionate boys about grassroots footy. Arguably some of the most knowledgeable due to the fact that we spend most of the week surrounded by the team. Input should be supported as it offers a different view.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Who cares? Every year around this time some kids like you from the 4th XV or the 16c’s get on here to troll around. No one cares mate. Parents usually don’t even turn up to watch.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fail to see whats wrong with this, just some passionate boys about grassroots footy. Arguably some of the most knowledgeable due to the fact that we spend most of the week surrounded by the team. Input should be supported as it offers a different view.

I'm ok with it absolutely. Just try to keep it reasonable (and don't try to pretend to be St Margarets students). Contribute maturely, follow the rules and everything will be AOK.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Hmmm, well Lisa and Annie are not happy about you using her name!, weak as actually.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Went to the BGS v IGS game. Liked the look of BGS 3 and 10 (would be good to see him behind a more dominant pack). From IGS I thought the 8 was going to be a world beater after his first run but I was a little disappointed after that. The guy looks like a beast. 9 was better after the 10 went off. 10 was the best player on the field until he went off with a shoulder injury.

Q

Quinton Lepainene’a

Just heard of a shakeup in a couple of firsts teams after the second round. Good to see the seconds boys are getting their time to shine.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 teams playing at home change it up a bit and rest a few players this week (or at least don't name them in the starting side).

Does anybody have any news on injuries?

Q

Quinton Lepainene’a

I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 teams playing at home change it up a bit and rest few players this week (or a least don't name them in the starting side).

Does anybody have any news on injuries?

Two injuries in the churchie firsts, both concussions to a forward and a back. Good time to have a bye.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Two injuries in the churchie firsts, both concussions to a forward and a back. Good time to have a bye.

Agreed. Their two best opportunities this season will come after the bye against BGS & GT. They are going to face some big teams in their last three games against IGS, BSHS and NC in the last round.