• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The All Blacks are guilty of it to mate e.g. Aaron Smith’s disabled toilet romp,had it been a player on the fringe, he would have been banished forever.
Aaron Cruden sends a cheerio from the Rugby wastelands.Jerome Kaino too.Both key starters at the time of their indiscretions.Cruden was at the peak of his career too.

In Smith’s case you could make an argument that Wayne Smith is his Father and was the assistant coach at the time but without remembering the specifics of his punishment he certainly copped it and hasn’t put a foot wrong since

To err is human , to forgive is divine. And so are the All Blacks. After all, as they say in the value system they have built around their team, better people make better All Blacks.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I’d expect NSW’s Ronald Volkman will be in the mix at the 10/12 spots. Possibly Malachi Hawkes upfront

If the Jimenez lad from ACT is still eligible he likely will be playing

I disagree with Nomad re : John Downes. George Blake is an out and out wrecking ball 1 who throws - which really opens your options at 2 . I would go as far as to say you build your pack off him as a centrepiece

You’d expect Wilson Blyth to be lining up for 1 of the lock spots and you’d expect Hamish Roberts has to be playing or at least in the 23. Mac Grealy too. Possibly at 13

Can’t see anyone touching Kalani Thomas at the 9 spot

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Will be interesting to see what happens with the Qld team first I guess , agree Blake has played well , but will need to unseat one of Vella , Zane , Downes or Tim F from TGS just to make the match day 23 for Qld .

Does anyone know, seeing he throws line outs from #1 as per his predecessor at TSS , can Blake pack at #2?

Regarding Pappin at 10 , he was the first choice for Qld in June , so in with a good chance, guess it depends where you play Reesjan and who is in the mix from the other Academies.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Some observations from the BBC loss,
Rugby is a team game and generally takes a good 23 players to win a game of such high intensity, you can not win Rugby Premierships based around half a dozen INDIVIDUALS, you must show faith in your entire squad (and or at least know all their names)and make the changes when required, no matter how tough the decision is, that is what makes good coaches in to great coaches, clearly on the weekend several changes had to be made and weren't, all as a result of a stubborn approach and inflexibility based around the 6 or 7 INDIVIDUALS. You treat your best players exactly the same as the the 23rd player in your squad.

The point of your post reminds me of School Captain Dom Walton’s game winning play in 2016 v Nudgee at Miskin. For whatever reason he was ignored all season and probably played a grand sum of minutes in single digits and likely only saw the field that day in the last 5 to 10 minutes as all other options were gone.

Who would have thought it would have been this guy to secure a such a significant win.

The Devils

Frank Row (1)
After re-watching the game it was great to see Xavier Savage in the left end corner of the school end celebrating BBC’s first two tries. The chat of Gordon and Claridge and the BBC 10 debate with kicking responsibilities would have been interesting if Oryaan Kalolo remained at the school.​

Kalolo and Savage may have been the missing pieces for BBC this year!​

I also re-watched the game. It seemed like BBC was missing the Yellow Headgear Lock, Clancy. He could have helped in the Set pieces and provided secure ball for the backs.

How did BBC lose Kalolo, Savage and Clancy?

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
After re-watching the game it was great to see Xavier Savage in the left end corner of the school end celebrating BBC’s first two tries. The chat of Gordon and Claridge and the BBC 10 debate with kicking responsibilities would have been interesting if Oryaan Kalolo remained at the school.​

I also re-watched the game. It seemed like BBC was missing the Yellow Headgear Lock, Clancy. He could have helped in the Set pieces and provided secure ball for the backs.

I’m sure you can enlighten us with one of them

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Let it go.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I’d expect NSW’s Ronald Volkman will be in the mix at the 10/12 spots. Possibly Malachi Hawkes upfront

If the Jimenez lad from ACT is still eligible he likely will be playing

I disagree with Nomad re : John Downes. George Blake is an out and out wrecking ball 1 who throws - which really opens your options at 2 . I would go as far as to say you build your pack off him as a centrepiece

You’d expect Wilson Blyth to be lining up for 1 of the lock spots and you’d expect Hamish Roberts has to be playing or at least in the 23. Mac Grealy too. Possibly at 13

Can’t see anyone touching Kalani Thomas at the 9 spot
Jimenez not eligible. Kalani will be in the mix. Hamish Roberts will have eyes on him after the last two games.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
NSW still retaining Joseph Sua'ali'i even though he plays rugby league for the Rabbitohs.
Will QLD afford young BBC 13 Howarth that flexibility? I hope not.
NSW seems to be more inclined to pick the league aligned boys. Their 6&8 for NSW 1 last year were both linked with RL clubs but still played at the Schoolboys comp at Riverview, both went on to play Australian Schoolboys against Tonga and NZ up here in Brisbane. The #6 ended up committing to rugby and went on the end of year tour to Ireland and Scotland and is now playing club rugby in Sydney. The #8 went on the RL tour and assume is now playing league.

Heard Scott Johnston talk recently about how he thought the league boys should still get picked for rep teams as it increased your chance of keeping them in rugby once they worked out there was more on offer outside of Australia with rugby. He himself converted from league to union.

A

Aussie Luke

I'm just wondering whether Grammar should take themselves out of the GPS 1XV competition. They don't enter a team in the under 13A competition and their 13 Bs seem to be pretty competitive and so, perhaps it's an idea for them to drop a grade to the Open 2nds so they are more competitive and the kids have a better experience in their Open year, rather than ban the coverage of their 1st XV which seems to speak to "keeping up appearances" more than anything else.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm just wondering whether Grammar should take themselves out of the GPS 1XV competition. They don't enter a team in the under 13A competition and their 13 Bs seem to be pretty competitive and so, perhaps it's an idea for them to drop a grade to the Open 2nds so they are more competitive and the kids have a better experience in their Open year, rather than ban the coverage of their 1st XV which seems to speak to "keeping up appearances" more than anything else.
Slippery slope, we will end like Sydney AAGPS , need to keep the whole comp in it .

Does it happen in any other sports bar rowing that the full complement of schools is not represented?

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Its taken me a few days to have another view at the TSS/BBC game. Keep in mind I watch the games live here late at night... so a sober re-look was warranted once the pain went away.

Great game, great commentating and camera work! One of the prettier settings for a rugby match too. Nice work covering the pipe band, and yes BBC did take a little too long getting out onto the field but as a spectator I enjoyed that..

BBC, well they lost, but like the round 1 NC/TSS match, it could have gone either way in a second. Credit to TSS. A great team.

So next week, two teams....both of whom have one thing in common. They have to win the next game.

That's it.

It might not be the title match, it might not be the battle of the colors, but for both of these teams, this Saturday..it is everything and more.

Both teams loaded with talent all around and have depth on the bench.

I'm tipping BBC to feel the pain and anger at training, regroup, and play for each other to produce a tight win. NC haven't lost a game since round 1.

BBC pack vs NC pack :tight battle with a NC edge in the set piece but BBC forwards might have an edge around the ground.
BBC backs vs NC backs: Very close call again, but BBC have the edge if the can shut down the NC 10. The BBC 10 might be able to do that. The centre combination is on song and the back three are safe and dangerous as hell at the same time.

Kicking for points.....sigh. Just score under the posts.

Incidentally, I think I may still have PTSD from playing Nudgee in the lower grades back in the day. Spending a lot of the time getting scrummed into the ground, run over, or standing under the posts watching all and sundry having turns at conversions.

Damn...was sober when I started typing anyway...

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
It might not be the title match, it might not be the battle of the colors, but for both of these teams, this Saturday..it is everything and more.

Are you talking BBC V TGS which is THIS Saturday or NC V BCC which is NEXT Saturday.

NC play BGS THIS weekend.