• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's going to be a much different situation for different families. If one of your parents is a lawyer or has friends that are it should be a pretty straight forward process. On the other hand if your parents don't have any formal education and English isn't their first language, having a trusted adviser to look out for your son would be a big plus.

The major problem is who that person is.

Mark Myers

Frank Row (1)
Seems dumb business to me to piss in the cheerios of the Reds and RA - and get blackballed. Would think by by extension , other franchises would follow suit . Not an issue , as reported , surrounding the 14 other agents the Reds deal with in what Wayne Smith referenced in his article .

So go ahead and bag their Reds talent ID . Are there not Junior pathway players represented by NSS in this mix ?

Granted they may not be as talented as related party “coaches” who run popular media puff pieces in playing a game of “build a star” and the dog and pony show that comes with it

Call me silly but who is NSS?

Mark Myers

Frank Row (1)
The realities are :

1. A kid still at School doesn't need an Agent.

2. In 99% of cases an 18 or 19 year old playing Club who may be good enough to be playing Colts 1 to possibly 18 Academy to possibly U19 NRC doesn't need an Agent

Anything beyond that ? Depends on the individual and whether they want to broaden their horizon beyond their back yard and the role of true advocacy based representation seems like a fair enough proposition

It's this sleazy ego fuelled entry level type chicken hawking of Schoolboys and entry level pathway development that is rank and really needs overhauling

It's such a critical time in a young bloke's development ( and I am talking education / rest of life development and not Rugby ) and to have these cancerous pricks infiltrating Schools and Clubs at entry points and filling young blokes and their wood duck parents heads full of shit - that disrupts and interferes with vocational focus - just so that stock in trade can be built up in a numbers game stable for eventual low level flips , is disgusting

Morally and ethically bankrupt are words that come to mind

Sort of stunning that RUPA currently permit guardians to sign on behalf of their sons if they are under 18.

Beyond the agent stacking the stable in a game of Rugby Lotto , what exactly is anyone gaining from "signings" at this age/stage/level ?

Fuck all are also words that come to mind

Kids are on rugby scholarships as early as 13 years old and often well before agents are on the seen as schools regularly attend carnivals in search of players to assist in securing those lucrative trophies. I have also heard of many cases where franchise academy coaches have approached kids at school games without parents present and offered them positions. I presume you are also referring to these people as cancerous pricks.

I wonder what the parents think of the 100's of families that have had schools and agents assist them with scholarships to schools that they would never have thought possible.

I just did some research on the agent in question and he has been working with Rugby in Australia for 20+ years and managed some of the most famous players in Australian rugby during and post golden era. I can only assume he would know more than the entire QRU board put together. When teams are under the pump they look for a scapegoat and I somehow feel they have summoned the wrong goat here.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It is obvious that you do not understand the role of an agent - agents assist players and their families to make an informed decision. If it is more beneficial to go somewhere else to develope whats wrong with that. We all know the QRU are mud at identifying talent...move on

Jet ^^^ I’ve never heard of an agent doing that - but don’t get it twisted there are plenty of bad agents like there is good and bad plumbers, players/families have to do their home work as well.
No I understand the role, what I’m sugggesting is for the majority of school age players it makes very little difference and can even be detrimental.

Every franchise has a development officer, nothing to stop a parent/guardian/mentor or significant other making contact and testing the waters. If the kid is genuinely good enough , they will contact you .

On the down side, one recent case as an example with names withheld is a young ,talented, recently graduated lad who showed up to a Brisbane club meet and greet with manager in tow and a list of demands that would need to be met in order for said player to sign with the club. Thanks but no thanks was the reply and he moved onto the next club on the list.

No harm in asking I guess , other than getting a reputation for being demanding ( the demands were quite over the top ) and being prepared to go to the highest bidder rather than where his rugby development might be best met.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Don’t know Picone (Nudgee man) personally or do I have a close relationship with any agent existing in the past 20 years, but there is a purpose for an agent if a player has a potential Super Rugby talent. A professional agent / manager who manages the top tiered players does bring benefit to the player. Players don’t always know what the market is paying and who is is in need of positional players.
Agree that agents are not required at a school level.
I can’t work out what Picone did wrong. Anyone care to share?

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
No I understand the role, what I’m sugggesting is for the majority of school age players it makes very little difference and can even be detrimental.

Every franchise has a development officer, nothing to stop a parent/guardian/mentor or significant other making contact and testing the waters. If the kid is genuinely good enough , they will contact you .

On the down side, one recent case as an example with names withheld is a young ,talented, recently graduated lad who showed up to a Brisbane club meet and greet with manager in tow and a list of demands that would need to be met in order for said player to sign with the club. Thanks but no thanks was the reply and he moved onto the next club on the list.

No harm in asking I guess , other than getting a reputation for being demanding ( the demands were quite over the top ) and being prepared to go to the highest bidder rather than where his rugby development might be best met.
These days the kid being good enough isn’t enough if others have someone pushing their interests

S

Sgt Slaughter

^^^I don’t think our back seat opinions on this blog gets anyone anywhere some how hahaha

In real news I hope IGS get the W tomorrow - they have the talent to do it

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Only one is looking after his clients

IMG_1103.GIF

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Weirdest scenario...Ippy win, and then BBC and NC draw leading to TSS still being the sole school on the trophy.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Weirdest scenario.Ippy win, and then BBC and NC draw leading to TSS still being the sole school on the trophy.

NC with the strong Pasitoa kicking game both in general play and for goal have a huge advantage today - this westerly will favour the team with their backs to Sandgate Road - still I live in hope BBC will play the same football that saw their general play outperform TSS and hopefully Ripley has his boot on song for a BBC victory by 8 points.

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
NC with the strong Pasitoa kicking game both in general play and for goal have a huge advantage today - this westerly will favour the team with their backs to Sandgate Road - still I live in hope BBC will play the same football that saw their general play outperform TSS and hopefully Ripley has his boot on song for a BBC victory by 8 points.
This BBC side is too talented to finish 3rd and don’t deserve to lose to both TSS and Nudgee on Ross. But there it is, that word, ROSS. NC to steal it in the dying minutes after BBC leading all game. NC by a bees wanga.

Hope for a great contest.