• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Have heard that Churchie will play Farrar at 9 and Wilson will move to 6. They have a new 10 and I think Phillips will be 15. Will be interesting to see what happens now that there is not all of term 2 to test the waters. They may go with a safety first approach. Will be good for all the boys to get back out onto the paddock. New season lets go.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Looks like GPS pushing ahead with sport for term 3 and including term 2 sports.

Meaning basketball, football, rugby and tennis will all be played in term 3.

Round 1 rugby due to kick off July 18.

If it goes ahead will be interesting to see how the numbers stack up with soccer and rugby being played in the same term.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
how do you think this will play out? Can you forsee First XV games played with no crowds?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
how do you think this will play out? Can you forsee First XV games played with no crowds?
Not sure they would know yet , depends on what is allowed regarding gatherings by then I guess .

There was some talk of limiting spectators to one parent/guardian per participant , but haven’t heard anything official , only what might be the case .

A

Aussie Luke

Interesting comments above re "The Season". I watched both the Nudgee and the BBC series and I thought they were both outstanding and provided very interesting insights into the two schools. They had very different narratives but I enjoyed them both, particularly the cultural and historical backdrops to each school's rugby programme. I must admit I got goosebumps watching the BBC series during the scene where BBC were heading onto Ross from the changing room to close out a very successful season. As a Nudgee old boy, it was great to see the perspective from another great rugby school coming onto Ross. Well done to BBC and to the producers of the documentary. I would also be very keen to see one done on TSS.
The season ahead...wow...Nudgee and TSS Rd 2 on Ross...this will be a great occasion and I really hope the social distancing measures allow a crowd at this game. Nudgee and BBC at Miskin in the last round could also be a cracking event for Brisbane grass roots rugby depending on how the season plays out. Plenty of other interesting match ups also lined up for the season and i wouldn't mind seeing another school do well such as Churchie or Toowoomba who both had very good teams last year.
I really don't know much about the teams this year but I can't wait for the season to kick off!

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting comments above re "The Season". I watched both the Nudgee and the BBC series and I thought they were both outstanding and provided very interesting insights into the two schools. They had very different narratives but I enjoyed them both, particularly the cultural and historical backdrops to each school's rugby programme. I must admit I got goosebumps watching the BBC series during the scene where BBC were heading onto Ross from the changing room to close out a very successful season. As a Nudgee old boy, it was great to see the perspective from another great rugby school coming onto Ross. Well done to BBC and to the producers of the documentary. I would also be very keen to see one done on TSS.
The season ahead.wow.Nudgee and TSS Rd 2 on Ross.this will be a great occasion and I really hope the social distancing measures allow a crowd at this game. Nudgee and BBC at Miskin in the last round could also be a cracking event for Brisbane grass roots rugby depending on how the season plays out. Plenty of other interesting match ups also lined up for the season and i wouldn't mind seeing another school do well such as Churchie or Toowoomba who both had very good teams last year.
I really don't know much about the teams this year but I can't wait for the season to kick off!

Onion TV have done some awesome stuff. They did "The Code" with Waratahs, Reds, Brumbies, Thunderbirds (netball) and Mariners (soccer) and "Hold Back the River" with the Aussie Womans 7s all worthwhile checking out.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Rumor has it they are filming "The Season" with TSS this year. Anything to that?

There is zero chance the next GPS "The Season" is at TSS. Absolutely none. Churchie, Terrace and Toowoomba all have a fair shot.

In the meantime, if there are to be games and no crowds, I hope all schools get on board with the streaming. It would suck if there was just one school that refused so every other school can only watch 7/8 games... Not to mention current students and Old Boys would miss out entirely too.

I haven't had the chance to watch my old school play since Round 9, 2015 :(

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well if the suggestion is true that there are a few schools that don't even want to play (for whatever their reasons are) then streaming becomes a moot point. If BGS do decide to play, if, all government approvals are held- I'd be stunned if they permitted streaming involving their home games.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
On TSS..
- Flyhalf , Syris Schmidt won a GPS Premiership as a 16 year old joining only 3 other 16 year old #10’s to have done that over the last 40 odd years ( Lynagh , Flatley , and BSHS 2016’s Issac Crone )

Reckon there would be a few more than those.

Reesjan Pasitoa won as a 16yo in 2017, Cayden Matehaere won as a Year 11 with Nudgee in 2008 so may have been 16.

Will put my thinking cap on. It's an interesting question :)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Ah yes ........Pasitoa was the obvious miss. I was thinking back to a conversation on a GPS thread from a couple of of years ago when the question came up and whilst I have never heard of Cayden Matehaere I do recall there was basically bugger all names on the list , which , if memory serves, at the time, was a pondering brought forward by your good self.

A

Aussie Luke

It will be a shame if the Wuhan virus restrictions allow only 100 people to gather in public to watch the GPS rugby. This will be fine at State High and Grammar rugby as they hardly have anyone watching anyway, nor playing for that matter, but it will be a hollow atmosphere at Ross, Miskin, Tennyson, the Shark Tank etc with no crowds allowed.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
It will be a shame if the Wuhan virus restrictions allow only 100 people to gather in public to watch the GPS rugby. This will be fine at State High and Grammar rugby as they hardly have anyone watching anyway, nor playing for that matter, but it will be a hollow atmosphere at Ross, Miskin, Tennyson, the Shark Tank etc with no crowds allowed.
Wuhan Virus ?

Onya Donald

A

Aussie Luke

When I worked in London there was the "Sydney Flu" going around and if I'm not mistaken, the Spanish Flu, the Zika Flu, the Ebola Virus were also named after the region where it eminated from. Onya Hillary...