• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So BBC have Taj Anann, Jack Howarth, and Gordon returning in the backs? That's an experienced and talented core of returning players. Players one might expect could be in the top three in their respective positions, flyhalf, centre, wing/fullback. How is the forward pack looking?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
How did the ladder end up in the 16As last year?
Nudgee took it out and thumped most by an average margin of 20+ points

They got beat in 1 game ( by IGS ) and had one score games with TGS and GT though - which explains their dominance in big margins against all other teams.

IGS went down to BSHS - who pretty much got handled against most others , and , they (IGS) tied with BBC who didn’t win a game all year ( one other tie with GT but every other outing resulting in the L )

On the eye test through 15’s and 16’s if you had correct age group senior teams this year with everyone available ( IE no spiking with returning 18 year olds ) I’d rank the age group as

1. Nudgee
2. GT
3. TSS
4. BBC
5. TGS
6. Churchie
7. BSHS
8. IGS
9. BGS

2 to 7 is pretty wide open and fairly interchangeable though if you have a look at games / results over a 2 year period .

Interestingly , besides Churchie and BSHS, I can’t think of any other First XV team that had more than 3 x U16 starters . That’s as relevant , as the U18 returnees for each of these schools . I think Nudgee only had 1 x 16 year old in their team last year ( Robert Mapa )

On an adjusted basis I’ve got

1. Nudgee
2. BBC*
3. TGS
4. TSS/ Churchie
6. GT
7. BSHS ( gun U16 age group coming through )
8. IGS
9. BGS

This might be one of the more even competitions we’ve seen for some time - certainly moreso than the last 2 years where the gulf between the top 2 -3 teams and everyone else has been significant

*The reason I have BBC ranked 2 - notwithstanding the fact their 16’s didn’t win a game last year - is mainly due to their forward pack . To me : Howarth/Gordon/Annan is matched or possibly exceeded by Fifita/Schmidt/Ngamanu . It’s the forward pack. They have 4 returning starters ( 2 x 18 props and an 18 year old lock ) and 2 x other 18 year olds who were in their 25 last year at Prop and Hooker. They will largely have a proven 18 x year old tight 5 - who are rep credentialed that gives them a big advantage in the set piece - which then helps Gordon/Annan/Howarth more . Throw in a lock /8 recruit from NSW and a winger from the GC. They’ll compete again and be in the Top 2 or 3

It is most likely a flip of the coin between Nudgee and BBC as to who wins it - and they do face off at Miskin in the final round.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think the form guide for this year should possibly place less importance on last year’s 16a’s results and more on who is returning.

We should be now seeing more 18 year olds in senior , so maybe have a look at how the 2nd XV’s stacked up from last year as well as numbers of lads from each school possibly having a crack at their second ( or even third ) year of Firsts.

It’s often the 17 year olds who played Seconds in year 11 that end up being the smokies in senior.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I couldn't read the story as I am too cheap to pay for it. Can somebody fill me in? Can't be imports straight into senior year and the 1st XV can it? I thought there was an agreement on that between the schools.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Jack Howarth's future confirmed + two big BBC recruits for the 2020 season.

Plus the flyhalf tipped to take over from Sam Walker at IGS.

Details -> https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...0/news-story/6f34b20086f63e49363dbc7f99c59b2a

I heard on this site that BBC Board had instructed the Headmaster to cease recruiting star Rugby players. As such BBC was struggling to recruit players, with only two initially, but I believe they got numbers to three in th 13s eventually.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Have heard some rumblings that Churchie have a new 10, 8 and 14 turn up this year. Could be interesting as their 1st 15 last year was pretty much year 11 boys.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I watched both the Aus v NZ under 18 RL test and the Qld v NSW under 18 rugby match.
It seems clear to me that :
1)Howath(MOM in the test)will this year be the best schoolboy player in either code.
It is a credit to himself,his parents and BBC that he is back at school when the Storm wanted him to (do a Ponga) and leave.
2) Ramano will be the bet prop in the comp and probably the best forward.

With the 6 others from the 1st & 2nd xv team back and if those 2 remain uninjured then BBC are clearly favourites-and good luck to them.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Think the form guide for this year should possibly place less importance on last year’s 16a’s results and more on who is returning.

We should be now seeing more 18 year olds in senior , so maybe have a look at how the 2nd XV’s stacked up from last year as well as numbers of lads from each school possibly having a crack at their second ( or even third ) year of Firsts.

It’s often the 17 year olds who played Seconds in year 11 that end up being the smokies in senior.

100% correct.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
So BBC have Taj Anann, Jack Howarth, and Gordon returning in the backs? That's an experienced and talented core of returning players. Players one might expect could be in the top three in their respective positions, flyhalf, centre, wing/fullback. How is the forward pack looking?

Yes plus Ramano,Pettit ,Hough in the forwards -and Guest & Percival who played 3 games in 1sts..

Also correct that ACGS have 3 new players including a big number 8 from NT.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I watched both the Aus v NZ under 18 RL test and the Qld v NSW under 18 rugby match.
It seems clear to me that :
1)Howath(MOM in the test)will this year be the best schoolboy player in either code.
It is a credit to himself,his parents and BBC that he is back at school when the Storm wanted him to (do a Ponga) and leave.
2) Ramano will be the bet prop in the comp and probably the best forward.

With the 6 others from the 1st & 2nd xv team back and if those 2 remain uninjured then BBC are clearly favourites-and good luck to them.

JH was the difference for BBC in a few games in attack and pulls off the odd big defensive hit. However, I watched the League test and it was probably a good thing that the commentators had the second row numbers mixed up. He is a good tackler when he sticks but not a good defender. Let him grow into that. Maybe we won't see him playing in the Storm forwards for a while because they only have hard working defenders and he is more of a flashy outside back. Happy to be proven wrong because he is only a youngster. What a talent though and good on him for staying another year at the College. Hope they can go one better in 2020.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Howdy- Just wondering how the Junior Gold Cup ie 15s & 16s teams are selected?

Generally they have a club rugby trial/selection day where all games are played at the one venue. BJRU club coaches have input and apparently selectors get to the odd game too.

Gold Cup is only under 15.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I couldn't read the story as I am too cheap to pay for it. Can somebody fill me in? Can't be imports straight into senior year and the 1st XV can it? I thought there was an agreement on that between the schools.

BBC has raided the Helensvale Hogs.