• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I doubt TSS care . With respect , neither of these guys , are moves that puts BBC “over the top” Just depth moves.

The funny thing is , in 2015 , TSS got gazumped with the most promising in their own back yard ( the Nerang Bulls ) with what would become the Senior Class of 2019.

The still won anyway.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
JH was the difference for BBC in a few games in attack and pulls off the odd big defensive hit. However, I watched the League test and it was probably a good thing that the commentators had the second row numbers mixed up. He is a good tackler when he sticks but not a good defender. Let him grow into that. Maybe we won't see him playing in the Storm forwards for a while because they only have hard working defenders and he is more of a flashy outside back. Happy to be proven wrong because he is only a youngster. What a talent though and good on him for staying another year at the College. Hope they can go one better in 2020.

Spot on in every respect.

At this stage of his development he’s far and away the best physical specimen / athlete in the competition hands down , and I would dare say , in the top half a dozen across both codes at Schoolboy Level.

But this physical dominance against weaker competition masks , and can inhibit , the development of young players like this as they are coming through - especially if they have fan boy Coaches that don’t demand anything of them in terms of playing properly and insisting that they develop fundamental skill and game nous. It still is a 15 man ( or 13 man ) game

Some of these uber young athletes never understand this and fall foul to the Al Bundy syndrome.

I don’t believe this will ultimately be the case with this young fella - I expect a long and successful career in the NRL because he is made of the right stuff (upstairs) to ultimately do what he needs to do whenever he has the opportunity to be Coached properly (and professionally)

In his case - outside of another year with mates (and in a more general sense without it being limited to mates in school sport) I reckon the right move was to go at the end of last season and get away from the hangers on. There is nothing , developmentally , for him to be gained in another GPS season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So apparently Raelene Castle has managed to get agreement from 'everyone' involved to secure school rugby as part of the package. Not sure if this means actual schoolboys rugby or just the national team (or perhaps national champs).

Very interested to see how it pans out.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
So apparently Raelene Castle has managed to get agreement from 'everyone' involved to secure school rugby as part of the package. Not sure if this means actual schoolboys rugby or just the national team (or perhaps national champs).

Very interested to see how it pans out.

Great if it is part of FTA but not so if behind a paywall as we already get the games live-streamed for free (thanks Double Take) at a reasonable quality.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
RA has no “ownership “ of the individual school comps . But they could have agreed to be involved similar to the way the Shute Shield and QPR have.

Foxtel had interest in showing some GPS content a couple of years ago , but could not get all the GPS principals to sign off on it , suppose a little like how we don’t see any Double Take action from Northgate .

Agree with Dark Shark , would be a pity for access to GPS rugby to be limited to pay TV .

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Look I got to say I am impressed.
BBC just announced Steve Meehan (Toulon,Bath & Western Force coach)as new Director of Rugby .
Add in Steve Kefu (defence)Totai Kefu (set piece)and Shane Drahm (attack)and that is a seriously good coaching set up for schoolboy level.
But coaches don't kick goals OR bring culture to the field.
So I say top 3 this year:-NC/BBC/TSS -cannot see any other school getting near them.
As always-depth is the key and NC 16A last year were brilliant.
And yes I know about the 4 new boys at ACGS and the RL boys at TGS(which did not work last year),
And poor old BSHS with no gym to use at the school at the moment are in for a tough year.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Pretty telling that they appoint a highly credentialed Head Coach/Attack Coach as Director of Rugby , when the previous Director of Rugby also had First XV coaching duties , and where , the current Head “Coach” (a short timer) is also a so called Attack Coach . Interesting also that a key member of prior regime brought in by current Head Coach hasn’t been renewed yet.

Looks like a nod to the 2021 season

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Look I got to say I am impressed.
BBC just announced Steve Meehan (Toulon,Bath & Western Force coach)as new Director of Rugby .
Add in Steve Kefu (defence)Totai Kefu (set piece)and Shane Drahm (attack)and that is a seriously good coaching set up for schoolboy level.
But coaches don't kick goals OR bring culture to the field.
So I say top 3 this year:-NC/BBC/TSS -cannot see any other school getting near them.
As always-depth is the key and NC 16A last year were brilliant.
And yes I know about the 4 new boys at ACGS and the RL boys at TGS(which did not work last year),
And poor old BSHS with no gym to use at the school at the moment are in for a tough year.

Or off the field either. Well some do to be fair - depends on the individual.

Re : BSHS .....being in the City with a multitude of options on the doorstep I am sure BSHS players will have a well decked out gym at their disposal. In fact , it will probably take them the same or less time to get to their gym then it will for Nudgee players to get to theirs within their ample Campus :)

I reckon it’s a mistake to take BSHS lightly. They have the best U16 Age Group in the competition and will be significantly better than what they have trotted out for the last 2 years - also bolstered by the quality of their Coaching and Management that has been considerably improved over the last 12 months . I tip them to take down at least 1 of the so-called Top 3 teams . Most likely at home and early in the season

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
From the All Blacks website ....

Gideon Wrampling ( BSHS 2017/ QLD White U16 2017 ) named as a NZ U20 trialist after representing NZ Schools the last 2 years since leaving Australia to develop in the Chiefs system

Go well fella.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Great if it is part of FTA but not so if behind a paywall as we already get the games live-streamed for free (thanks Double Take) at a reasonable quality.

Agreed about doubletake, their work is very much appreciated. But if someone can get the game out to a broader audience, good stuff I say, and as a consumer I would pay to see it especially if it involved a larger than 8 game competition.

Lets get the AIC and GPS seasons lined up along with the NSW seasons and let the different comp winners get the chance to play for a national schools title with bigtime coverage. It works in the USA.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
StopMakingSense.jpg

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I doubt TSS care . With respect , neither of these guys , are moves that puts BBC “over the top” Just depth moves.

The funny thing is , in 2015 , TSS got gazumped with the most promising in their own back yard ( the Nerang Bulls ) with what would become the Senior Class of 2019.

The still won anyway.

Only because Drahm stuffed up with no kicker but I agree with you and the fact I have often seen some of TSS best recruits come from north NSW

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Only because Drahm stuffed up with no kicker but I agree with you and the fact I have often seen some of TSS best recruits come from north NSW

Disagree. They had a kicker who they considered best for the occasion. Just didn't work for them on the day, call it the yips or whatever.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Kickers. Plural. ^3 were used on the day . There was nothing wrong with the first choice - just got hooked after 2 good strikes that just didn’t get there. What was questionable was handing it over to a young fella who was the youngest lad in the team and then a 3rd choice ( after 2nd choice gets hooked ) who was a notorious streaky kicker ( and who was on the wrong side of streaky on the day )

So undoubtedly a coaching / poor prep issue that manifested in panic and a significant lack of composure that explains a 20-5 2nd half and 7-2 critical error / turnover count in the last 10 minutes of the game that directly led to TSS tying the score and then getting the go ahead score in this period .

No revisionist history required - just the facts of what happened

But there is nothing new to see here - the same issues skewered this Coach and his then team at Nudgee in 2017 - which arguably also cost a Premiership

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
Kickers. Plural. ^3 were used on the day . There was nothing wrong with the first choice - just got hooked after 2 good strikes that just didn’t get there. What was questionable was handing it over to a young fella who was the youngest lad in the team and then a 3rd choice ( after 2nd choice gets hooked ) who was a notorious streaky kicker ( and who was on the wrong side of streaky on the day )

So undoubtedly a coaching / poor prep issue that manifested in panic and a significant lack of composure that explains a 20-5 2nd half and 7-2 critical error / turnover count in the last 10 minutes of the game that directly led to TSS tying the score and then getting the go ahead score in this period .

But there is nothing new to see here - the same issues skewered this Coach and his then team at Nudgee in 2017 - which arguably also cost a Premiership

Unfortunately the best kicker was actually the 4th choice, Lucas Ripley. Drahm went through 3 kickers the week before against IGS and the first 2 who were the same as TSS were way off target that day against IGS. Ripley took the last kick against IGS and kicked it down the middle. Inexplicably he was then overlooked for the TSS game, not even the third choice kicker! He then took over the kicking duties the next week, proceeded to kick 10 in a row, and then kicked 100% in the Nudgee game. Drahm butchered it by not recognising Ripley as the best kicker until after the TSS game, when the premiership was already gone.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Unfortunately the best kicker was actually the 4th choice, Lucas Ripley. Drahm went through 3 kickers the week before against IGS and the first 2 who were the same as TSS were way off target that day against IGS. Ripley took the last kick against IGS and kicked it down the middle. Inexplicably he was then overlooked for the TSS game, not even the third choice kicker! He then took over the kicking duties the next week, proceeded to kick 10 in a row, and then kicked 100% in the Nudgee game. Drahm butchered it by not recognising Ripley as the best kicker until after the TSS game, when the premiership was already gone.

There’s a man that actually knows his facts!!!

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
Definitely agree with you there GO. BSHS 15A's from last year would have beaten most 16A teams. Mail is that they have fast tracked these boys into the 1st XV squad and are expected to bring a big show this year. BSHS in the top 4 this year and staying there for the next 3 years.

Or off the field either. Well some do to be fair - depends on the individual.

Re : BSHS ...being in the City with a multitude of options on the doorstep I am sure BSHS players will have a well decked out gym at their disposal. In fact , it will probably take them the same or less time to get to their gym then it will for Nudgee players to get to theirs within their ample Campus :)

I reckon it’s a mistake to take BSHS lightly. They have the best U16 Age Group in the competition and will be significantly better than what they have trotted out for the last 2 years - also bolstered by the quality of their Coaching and Management that has been considerably improved over the last 12 months . I tip them to take down at least 1 of the so-called Top 3 teams . Most likely at home and early in the season

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
My nephew is at TSS and he says there are 3 new boys in grade 11 from NZ arrived. big lads he says -like Reno Gerrard was.

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
Definitely agree with you there GO. BSHS 15A's from last year would have beaten most 16A teams. Mail is that they have fast tracked these boys into the 1st XV squad and are expected to bring a big show this year. BSHS in the top 4 this year and staying there for the next 3 years.

Yes - I watched the 15 A grand final v BBC last year with BSHS winning on the bell.3rd year in a row these 2 teams have fought it out.BSHS 10,8,12 & 13 were the best.I was told 12 & 13 are Qld RL rep players ?
BBC 10 & 4 very good as well.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The Storm are amassing quite a stockpile of GPS lads. Nudgee’s Dan Atkinson (2018) - a fullback / wing who had been playing with the Norths Devils here in Brisbane has just been named in the Storm’s trial team of 24 to play the Warriors in a trial in Palmerston North this weekend .