• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was great to get out on the weekend and watch some rugby in the Brisbane winters sunshine. Lot's of happy kids at the end of the day who got to get on the field and bash their mates.

A

Aussie Luke

Nudgee put on 4 tries to 2 in the trial v Ipswich. Apparently looking very sharp, particularly in the centers and outside backs.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Malique Sjoberg -Douthat will provide a lot of interest on the wing if he gets his opportunities and might end up being the best outside back in the competition .

I think Seamus King-Smith is back and wouldn't be surprised to see him playing at 10 (but 15 if he isn't at 10)

Xavier Stowers is back and will provide punch and power at 8 and I'm pretty sure the field goal , penalty goal kicking Hooker/Prop Ben Murphy is back

These guys will be the nucleus of the team , but as always , the question will be do they have the depth ? And the answer to that is I don't think they do.

I have them 2nd to 3rd last and fighting out that position with Gregory Terrace ( Brisbane Grammar being last )

1. Nudgee ( undefeated )
2. Churchie/TSS/BBC ( 1 loss )
5. TGS ( 2 losses )
6. Ipswich Grammar/State High /Gregory Terrace ( 3 losses )
8. Brisbane Grammar

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The guys (tentatively) I have as having early lock on their jersey number in a GPS team of the season would be:

3. Henry Petit (BBC)*
4. Michael Van Der Schyff (TSS)
8. Ngyaani Waters (TSS)
12. Lastus Aukaki (Nudgee)
13. Jojo Fifita (TSS)
14. Malique Sjoberg-Douthat (IGS)
15. Trezman Banjo (Nudgee)

7 early movers and 8 up for grabs where it could go anywhere

*Petit might end up proving himself as an early maturity scrummager that you don't really see a lot in young Props who typically take some time to learn their craft - but this guy is a natural in the way that George Blake was last year for TSS. Blake was a guy who destroyed opposition Tight Heads but Petit is a guy who will stand strong at THP and you can build a set piece around. And he will consistently be in your Top 3 tackle count/ defensive efficiency every game.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Is Ngyaani Waters (TSS) still at school. Good player but I am pretty sure he would be 19 this year. Not sure what the the GPS rules are on upper age limits.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The guys (tentatively) I have as having early lock on their jersey number in a GPS team of the season would be:

3. Henry Petit (BBC)*

8. Ngyaani Waters (TSS)

13. Jojo Fifita (TSS)

8 early movers and 7 up for grabs where it could go anywhere

*Petit might end up proving himself as an early maturity scrummager that you don't really see a lot in young Props who typically take some time to learn their craft - but this guy is a natural in the way that George Blake was last year for TSS. Blake was a guy who destroyed opposition Tight Heads but Petit is a guy who will stand strong at THP and you can build a set piece around. And he will consistently be in your Top 3 tackle count/ defensive efficiency every game.

Is Romano still back at BBC at prop? He was pretty impressive last year.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes he is back but there a LOT of good front rowers coming through in this Senior Class . Churchie , Nudgee and TGS are well stocked and have some genuine talent.Romano needs to show more in the rest of the game other than ball carry with his mass.( IE Scrum dominance , line out lifting/blocking and defensive work rate) For a big guy he actually has nice ball skills if he is of a mind to look and try and pick up support runners.

It's sort of the issue with the game generally that we get too carried away with ball carry at the expense of everything else.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Yeah dunno. A bit too much early annointment without too much actual. I wonder whether Kyle Schram will get the 7 jersey at Nudgee and will watch with interest to see how he goes . I thought Hayden Moseley was terrific a few seasons ago , and , Mitch Lowrie was the best 7 in the competition last year (by a big margin) and downstream from Will Roach over a 2 to 3 year span - I reckon Lowrie is the best of the bunch of all the aspirant 7's running around. Gut feel, but I suspect Schram might be cut from the same cloth as Moseley and Lowrie - but I am sure every spot in the Nudgee pack will be heavily contested.

And I hope TGS puts George Wunsch on the ball at 7 . Maybe a little overshadowed by Dougal Gray last year but it would not surprise me if this guy puts a big year on the board

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Churchie - Stoddard @ 7? Tough kid.

Is his Dad a T Stoddard that played back in the late 80's and went to Churchie? I still remember him biffing, toe to toe with Va'aiga (or Inga as he was known) Tuigamala in an Aus/Nz U20 match (I think). I remember watching it on TV when I was 15 and it was get up of your couch moment.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Is his Dad a T Stoddard that played back in the late 80's and went to Churchie? I still remember him biffing, toe to toe with Va'aiga (or Inga as he was known) Tuigamala in an Aus/Nz U20 match (I think). I remember watching it on TV when I was 15 and it was get up of your couch moment.
=
not sure but that would make sense.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)

3. Henry Petit (BBC)*
8. Ngyaani Waters (TSS)
13. Jojo Fifita (TSS)

7 early movers and 8 up for grabs where it could go anywhere

Surely Howarth has to be somewhere in there??

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Quite right. Personally, I'd play him as a blind side wing and use him in the way that the Reds used to use Digby. He's a freak athlete and I've consistently said - should have a 10 year + NRL career and be a multiple SOO Rep.

But Jojo is also a super athlete - but a better Rugby player right now and that was proven in the TSS win over BBC last year. Jojo took the 2nd half by the scruff of the neck and came up big when it counted.

I'm convinced that if Howarth had have chosen Nudgee over BBC - or even if he ended up at TSS or Churchie , we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Whilst the jig is nearly up , BBC did a terrific job in recruiting some unique athletes , two code Rugby athletes in particular , and then in their Rugby program do absolutely nothing or have zero skill or capacity to develop them as Rugby players in the last 5 years.

So ...

11. Howarth
15. King-Smith ( with Banjo reportedly out for the season )