• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

BBC Supporter 123

Frank Row (1)
Anyone else expecting a complete domination by BBC, Nudgee and TSS? At this point it almost seems like the other schools are playing for fourth. However, it will be interesting to see how Churchie perform given the new draw.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
^Quite right. Personally, I'd play him as a blind side wing and use him in the way that the Reds used to use Digby. He's a freak athlete and I've consistently said - should have a 10 year + NRL career and be a multiple SOO Rep.

But Jojo is also a super athlete - but a better Rugby player right now and that was proven in the TSS win over BBC last year. Jojo took the 2nd half by the scruff of the neck and came up big when it counted.

I'm convinced that if Howarth had have chosen Nudgee over BBC - or even if he ended up at TSS or Churchie , we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Whilst the jig is nearly up , BBC did a terrific job in recruiting some unique athletes , two code Rugby athletes in particular , and then in their Rugby program do absolutely nothing or have zero skill or capacity to develop them as Rugby players in the last 5 years.

So .

11. Howarth
15. King-Smith ( with Banjo reportedly out for the season )

Must of watched a different game - it’s a while back now but I thought it was 4tries to 2 to BBC - it’s only because of the coach BBC lost not the opposition

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Is his Dad a T Stoddard that played back in the late 80's and went to Churchie? I still remember him biffing, toe to toe with Va'aiga (or Inga as he was known) Tuigamala in an Aus/Nz U20 match (I think). I remember watching it on TV when I was 15 and it was get up of your couch moment.

100% son of Tim - he was and still is a tough unit

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Must of watched a different game - it’s a while back now but I thought it was 4tries to 2 to BBC - it’s only because of the coach BBC lost not the opposition

I agree. I watched that match & it was BBC 4 tries to 2. TSS even took the 12 off because Howath ran through him so much.
He also destroyed the NC 12 &13 in round 9 last year.2 tries he got against us.The 1st was sensational.
DM -take the anti-BBC glasses off and appreciate good players.
NC looking very good this year. I think Trezman will be right by round 3.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree. I watched that match & it was BBC 4 tries to 2. TSS even took the 12 off because Howath ran through him so much.
He also destroyed the NC 12 &13 in round 9 last year.2 tries he got against us.The 1st was sensational.
DM -take the anti-BBC glasses off and appreciate good players.
NC looking very good this year. I think Trezman will be right by round 3.
And yes Blue ,I do think Nudgee are the good things this year.

Although, with maybe the best U16 class , I could see State High as a wildcard out of the bottom half of the table to play a spoiler role to a couple of the “Big 4”

And yes , more BBC player love , big loss with young 6/8, Lington Lui , getting injured last weekend. Definitely a name to remember and look out for next year. Best U15 forward I saw running around last year and more than a hint of big JT about him.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Well one thing I think we can all agree on is that the BBC v TSS match should be a cracker this year, both on the field and in this forum!

Must be at the Shark Tank?

My fingers are triple crossed that Doubletake will be able to continue their outstanding work.

Both the Nudgee and Southport games vs BBC last year were amazing games for me.

Watching at midnight here in the states, drunken tears rolling down my face at the end of each game. I do the drunk-tears thing most nights, but these were special drunk-tears.

I'm pumped for the next couple of months. Once again, I can live vicariously for a while by watching kids play at a level I never came close to in the dirty thirds :)

With all the other crap going on right now, a season of GPS rugby is just the right medicine, even if it has to shortened (working on being more of a glass half-full guy).

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The guys (tentatively) I have as having early lock on their jersey number in a GPS team of the season would be:

3. Henry Petit (BBC)*

4. Michael Van Der Schyff (TSS)

8. Ngyaani Waters (TSS)

12. Lastus Aukaki (Nudgee)

13. Jojo Fifita (TSS)

14. Malique Sjoberg-Douthat (IGS)

15. Trezman Banjo (Nudgee)

7 early movers and 8 up for grabs where it could go anywhere

*Petit might end up proving himself as an early maturity scrummager that you don't really see a lot in young Props who typically take some time to learn their craft - but this guy is a natural in the way that George Blake was last year for TSS. Blake was a guy who destroyed opposition Tight Heads but Petit is a guy who will stand strong at THP and you can build a set piece around. And he will consistently be in your Top 3 tackle count/ defensive efficiency every game.

I will go out on a limb and name a dark horse for somewhere in the Back 3. Taj Annan (hope I got that right) from BBC. I think he was year 10 last year? Tall then, and probably still growing quickly as kids do at that age. Big kick, left foot (I think), good pass.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I will go out on a limb and name a dark horse for somewhere in the Back 3. Taj Annan (hope I got that right) from BBC. I think he was year 10 last year? Tall then, and probably still growing quickly as kids do at that age. Big kick, left foot (I think), good pass.

BernboroughStatue.jpg

About as dark as Bernborough but unfortunately not with the same quality.

I reckon Robert Mapa from Nudgee will be one to watch

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Come to think of it, I can't imagine there is a snowballs chance in hell there any state vs state games this year for the schoolboys.

WW Bench

Bob McCowan (2)
OK fellas its only a trial this weekend and due to Covid, I dont have a lot of form to make some calls.

However, just to ensure that all are prepared for how the new format will appear and ensure that no one is alarmed I thought I would highlight the most likely Covid masks to be seen around the grounds this weekend....

BSHS - easy choice..ram raiding balaclava's

Churchie - some cut down Burbury and Ralph Lauren rags from last season.

Brisbane Grammar School - Gyno Dad's used scrubs.

TSS - Post botox face wraps ( be the same as all the previous season)

Terrace - whatever Churchie wears.

Ipswich - KFC buckets with some Ned Kelly style modifications

Toowoomba Grammar - What's Covid 19???? Pretty sure we used that last season to drench sheep.

Nudgee- Just hands, I guess they have become comfortable to the feel of the brothers hands.

BBC - They made some 2019 premiership T shirts at the end of last year. Very handy for face masks this year.

Cheers and best of luck for a cracker season..

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Nationals canned for the year and Academies wound right back , so interstate very unlikely.

If there is any pathways rugby played more likely to be at an U20's level later in the year alongside Test matches, but still very unlikely.

Edit : in reply to Fairplay

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the GPS should really think whether State High should remain in the GPS. I think there are much better options.

Sorry (not sorry) I cannot believe there has been any comments querying this ridiculous statement. Exactly what is your beef with State High "Aussie" Luke? This is a school that has produced the 4th most Aus Schoolboys reps (62) as well as 31 internationals, is always competitive in all age groups and has won the GPS comp 16 times, behind only Nudgee and Churchie, and as recently as 2016. Sure, depth isn't great, but that is also is the case at IGS and BGS. IGS won the u14s last year and did not even have a B team.

Tennis (dear God) aside, they are also up there in all other sports - Track and Field, Swimming, Cricket, soccer, basketball - any problems there? Check how many Olympic and Australian reps the school has produced, it's pretty lengthy. They even compete, although admittedly not that successfully, in rowing, but what can you expect with their limited funding. But that is more than TGS and IGS.

So, because of some bad behaviour by some supporters last year you are calling for them to be replaced? I have been to many GPS rugby games and seen appalling behaviour by a number of schools supporters. Grammar dads abusing a player because of the colour of his hair. Ippy coaches invading a pitch and man handling opposition players when a brawl broke out. Terrace parents heckling a goal kicker as he lines up the match winning kick (Pasitoa, and his reaction is priceless when he nails it - it's on youtube if you want to watch it). I could name plenty more if you like. In fact, on the whole, BSHS supporters tend to be the best behaved of the lot in my experience.

Or is it because there is a public school playing in the GPS comp that offends your private school-centric sensibilities? An avenue for kids whose parents cannot afford exorbitant school fees to compete in the best competiitions available is about Australian as you can get.

I always though "Aussie" meant a fair go for all. An egalitarian concept. Maybe time time to change your profile Luke. Maybe "Pommy" Luke? Unless you can elaborate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry (not sorry) I cannot believe there has been any comments querying this ridiculous statement. Exactly what is your beef with State High "Aussie" Luke? This is a school that has produced the 4th most Aus Schoolboys reps (62) as well as 31 internationals, is always competitive in all age groups and has won the GPS comp 16 times, behind only Nudgee and Churchie, and as recently as 2016. Sure, depth isn't great, but that is also is the case at IGS and BGS. IGS won the u14s last year and did not even have a B team.

Tennis (dear God) aside, they are also up there in all other sports - Track and Field, Swimming, Cricket, soccer, basketball - any problems there? Check how many Olympic and Australian reps the school has produced, it's pretty lengthy. They even compete, although admittedly not that successfully, in rowing, but what can you expect with their limited funding. But that is more than TGS and IGS.

So, because of some bad behaviour by some supporters last year you are calling for them to be replaced? I have been to many GPS rugby games and seen appalling behaviour by a number of schools supporters. Grammar dads abusing a player because of the colour of his hair. Ippy coaches invading a pitch and man handling opposition players when a brawl broke out. Terrace parents heckling a goal kicker as he lines up the match winning kick (Pasitoa, and his reaction is priceless when he nails it - it's on youtube if you want to watch it). I could name plenty more if you like. In fact, on the whole, BSHS supporters tend to be the best behaved of the lot in my experience.

Or is it because there is a public school playing in the GPS comp that offends your private school-centric sensibilities? An avenue for kids whose parents cannot afford exorbitant school fees to compete in the best competiitions available is about Australian as you can get.

I always though "Aussie" meant a fair go for all. An egalitarian concept. Maybe time time to change your profile Luke. Maybe "Pommy" Luke? Unless you can elaborate.

bravo. Quality retort.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Count me amongst the believers of the State High Rugby program. They have two quality guys at the head of their program in Dan Ritchie and Michael Lucas who will do their best.

I could definitely see State High being part of a “Big 3 or “Big 4” with Nudgee , TSS and Churchie within the next 2 years.

Brisbane Grammar have an outlier age group coming in the same period that , combined with the Coaching smarts within their program, could see them coming out of nowhere . And Terrace will be bouncing back strongly as well as their new program heads have the benefit of time.

So there are a few schools that will be bouncing back pretty strongly - but State High are probably the most immediate and obvious

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Could be teams with biggest forward packs that go well on Saturday.
I know:
-TSS lost whole front 5;
-BBC have both props & 2nds hooker back;
-ACGS have front row back.

What about NC & others ? NC 16 A pack was outstanding.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
TGS will have a very good tight 5 this year with QLD Representation across the board with Front Rowers Charlie Wigan and Tane Pardoe and lock Hamish Mueller.

Add in a red headed mongrel dog in at flank in George Wunsch , a halfback in Wilson Cochrane sniping at their heels and with possibly the best pass off the ground going around and their backs will have enough ball to give them a chance in most games

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
In fact ,this might end up being a banner year - right across the GPS,for tight 5 forwards - but Front Rowers in particular.

There is genuine quality depth right across the board