• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nudgee's midfield sort of stalled after the first 10m and how they didn't put 30 + on Terrace with that dominant of a scrum and the chunk of possession they had is a little baffling. Varricchio has pretty good service and Dalle Court , I thought , played well.

I don't think it was excessive defensive pressure , it just seems that , surprisingly , over the last 2 to 3 years , Nudgee are playing very un-Nudgee like Rugby and doubling down on "star ball" which screws up their rhythm and takes them further away from winning games . Or at least the big ones.

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
1. Andrew Romano BBC
2. Ben Murphy IGS
3. Carson Patu TSS
4. Michael van der Schyff TSS
5. Oliver Harvey NC
6. Zac Hough BBC
7. George Stoddart ACGS
8. Xavier Stowers IGS
9. Sam Farrar ACGS
10. Syrus Smidt TSS
11. Malique Douthat-Sjoberg IGS
12. Lastus Aaukai NC
13. Jack Howarth BBC
14. Jojo Fifita TSS
15. Seamus King-Smith IGS

16. Will Jones NC
17. Harry Vousty TSS
18. Isaiah Tolutu TSS
19. Marly Bitungane GT
20. George Wunsch TGS

21. Henry Wilson ACGS
22. Larson Dayle-Doyle ACGS
23. Taj Annan BBC

Honourable mentions for Mason Gordon BBC, Luke Philp ACGS and David Vaihu GT

Congrats this is close to the mark in my book. BGS 15 on reserve bench?

A

Aussie Luke

Nudgee's midfield sort of stalled after the first 10m and how they didn't put 30 + on Terrace with that dominant of a scrum and the chunk of possession they had is a little baffling. Varricchio has pretty good service and Dalle Court , I thought , played well.

I don't think it was excessive defensive pressure , it just seems that , surprisingly , over the last 2 to 3 years , Nudgee are playing very un-Nudgee like Rugby and doubling down on "star ball" which screws up their rhythm and takes them further away from winning games . Or at least the big ones.

I agree with this completely, and it is also my main observation. As soon as the ball gets to the midfield, the rhythm shuts down. There is invariably a predictable inside step taking on the defence, and then any momentum is lost. There is no flow nor platform built. There is very little variation or strategic element to the play and its very easy for the other teams to read. Having said that, they are solid in defence in this area, so at least this balances this area out. It will be an interesting hit out with Ipswich, but I think Nudgee need to lift their game greatly to be able to compete.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
^Out of all the names thrown around .......IGS's Ethan King is absolute quality. Fundamental , Efficient, Mistake Free and I reckon he's the best defensive back in the competition - which is not to take anything away from his ability as a finisher or playmaker in the 15m channel.

Who knows what the future brings and about the only "sure thing" you can see in the NRL out of all the glam backs that have come through GPS in recent years is Jack Howarth ..........but he (King) is league aligned as I understand it and assuming this is correct I would not be the least bit surprised to see him have an NRL career.

I could see him switching in 1 v Nudgee , and , I do think IGS might have enough to beat NC this year

lindsey courtis

Stan Wickham (3)
Predicted Team of the Season 1stxv 2020
1 Andrew Romano (BBC)
2 Oahu Davey Phillips (NC)
3 Lachlan bishop (GT)
4 Oliver Harvey (NC)
5 George Wunsch (TGS)
6 Zac Hough (BBC)
7 Emarly Bitungane (GT)
8 Xavier Stowers (IGS)
9 Oscar Varrichio (NC)
10 Mason Gordon (BBC)
11 Sione Tapusoa (NC)
12 Lastus Aukai (NC)
13 Jack Howarth (BBC)
14 Jared Homan (BBC)
15 Taj Annan (BBC)
16 Harvey Guest (BBC)
17 Harry Swane (NC)
18 Michael Van der Schyff (TSS)
19 Henry Wilson (ACGS)
20 George Stoddart (ACGS)
21 Henry Davis (GT)
22 David Vaihu (GT)
23 Jojo Fifita (TSS)

EVAL 1

Peter Burge (5)
1. Andrew Romano BBC
2. Ben Murphy IGS
3. Carson Patu TSS
4. Michael van der Schyff TSS
5. Daniel MT NC
6. Dimitrius Williams BBC
7. Zac Hough
8. Xavier Stowers IGS
9. Sam Farrar ACGS
10. Syrus Smidt TSS
11. Malique Douthat-Sjoberg IGS
12. Jojo Fifita TSS
13. Jack Howarth BBC
14. Jarrod Honan BBC
15. Seamus King-Smith IGS

16. Will Jones NC
17. Harry Vousty TSS
18. Isaiah Tolutu TSS
19. George Stoddart ACGS
20. George Wunsch TGS

21. Mason Gordon BBC
22. Larson Dayle-Doyle ACGS
23. Taj Annan BBC

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^Out of all the names thrown around ...IGS's Ethan King is absolute quality. Fundamental , Efficient, Mistake Free and I reckon he's the best defensive back in the competition - which is not to take anything away from his ability as a finisher or playmaker in the 15m channel.

Who knows what the future brings and about the only "sure thing" you can see in the NRL out of all the glam backs that have come through GPS in recent years is Jack Howarth ....but he (King) is league aligned as I understand it and assuming this is correct I would not be the least bit surprised to see him have an NRL career.

I could see him switching in 1 v Nudgee , and , I do think IGS might have enough to beat NC this year

After just watching both the IGSvTGS and BBCvBGS games I completely agree with your last few comments. King was really impressive and seemed impossible to bring to ground, he managed to offload or flick a pass in just about every tackle (accurately).

I don’t personally rate Gordon at all, kicking out of hand and running game are good but very few passes Landed on the chest or out in front. Out of those games I thought the IGS 10 was really impressive and look forward to seeing more. TSS 10 imo is still the #1 fly half in the comp.

Agreed regarding BGS, after a few games playing together they can go toe to toe with some of the better teams. The inside centre was particularly impressive IMO, he marked Howarth the entire game and barely gave him an inch.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Round seven between TSS and BBC could be the decider this year in a lot of ways, not to disrespect other teams.

It would be nice from my biased BBC supporter perspective to see them beat TSS on the coast, nailing every conversion on the day.

GPS Insider

Frank Row (1)
Agreed regarding BGS, after a few games playing together they can go toe to toe with some of the better teams. The inside centre was particularly impressive IMO, he marked Howarth the entire game and barely gave him an inch.

Yeah, with his shoulder...

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
BBC aren’t winning dick while until they clean house at the top of their Coaching program. The Game against BGS on the weekend re-highlighted the critical flaws.

1. Skill development in key areas / positions is poor

2. Structure / Shape is pretty much non existent

3. There is an alarmingly low lack of defensive urgency or impact in the forward pack with all the big “names” just wanting the bum slay carry without doing anything else and not even making an effort to get off the defensive line.

Word is the new DOR knows what’s up , culturally and structurally , and is working from the bottom up in the younger ages and finding his feet and biding his time. But ultimately the change is a’comin

Chair of the School Council “resigned” last week too in a sort of Morty Seinfeldesque kind of way. That has significance in how things may re-boot overall within the next 12 months in a next Chapter / new regime at Toowong.

Well to be completely honest, I don't imagine they are going to fire all the coaches at this point in the season. I was just thinking more along the lines of the next 5 games with the players they have available compared to other teams. I get what you are saying though but I’m not googling morty Seinfeld

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
With discussions of ground up approach in mind , what's the go with the lack of teams in the U14 age group?

BSHS don't have a B's this year, IGS didn't in the U13's last year ( not sure about this year?) and the BBC U14b's play in the C's competition.

Would think this is a bit of a problem moving forward for this age group.

Hennon George

Frank Row (1)
My team of the year... Thoughts?

1. Andrew Romano BBC
2. Ben Murphy IGS
3. Carsen Latu TSS
4. Hamish Muller TGS
5. Michael Van Der Schyff TSS
6. Marly Bitungane GT
7. Zac Hough BBC
8. Xavier Stowers IGS
9. Wilson Cochrane TGS
10. Syris Schmidt TSS
11. Kaleb Ngamanu TSS
12. Lastus Aaukai NC
13. Jack Howarth BBC
14. Jojo Fifita TSS
15. Jye Gray TSS

16. BGS** (don't know the name)
17. Will Jones NC
18. Lachlan Bishop GT
19. George Stoddard ACGS
20. George Wunsch TGS

21. Sam Farrar ACGS
22. Taj Annan BBC
23. Ethan King IGS

Honourable Mentions: Joseph Currie (TGS), Mason Gordan (BBC)