• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

A

Aussie Luke

I think Nudgee have the momentum now and I don’t think BBC have been tested so far this season by such a physical, dominant defensive team. BBC probably needed the second half debacle against Toowoomba to wake them up a bit but I think they will need to adapt their style a bit for this game from a pretty, fast, expansive backline game to a more physical, street fight type of scenario which will show up on Miskin. I think they can certainly do this but I think it’s going to be one hell of an encounter next Saturday.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
NC are now outright favourites- ref wasn’t conducive to running rugby but well battled TGS - good to get an ugly win out the way.

15-4 on the penalty count by my count including 4 scrum penalties against BBC. I think out of the 20 scrums on day TGS had the feed on all but 4 of them. Lineouts were pretty even. BBC trying to many low % plays deep in their own half. Still I guess it was 6 tries to 1 but nothing like the week before against TSS. The Romano Effect was evident.

Credit to TGS. Must have been quite a half time spray from the coach.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree -BBC looked shellshocked. I watched the stream.
As a TSS suporter my view is:
1) the best the BBC scrum was all year was against IGS -both those props are out for the season-Romano and Hansen (their 2 biggest forwards);
2) moving the hooker to prop & bringing up 2nds hooker really affects go forward;
3) really missed long passing game of Taj A at fullback.

I really hope I am wrong because they are clearly the best team- but I cannot see BBC beating Nudgee with those 3 boys out.
Nudgee by 7.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So if you are the BBC coach how do you win this given they have lost their scrum and rolling maul edge they might have had against NC.

Didn’t see one successful rolling maul on the weekend from them. They held their own on the shove in the scrums and pushed TGS back half the time, but were also penalized for not setting straight and collapsing a couple of times.

I can’t tell what the hell is going on in the front row, but the TGS 3 clearly got the better of the dark arts battle on his side of the scrum at least in the refs eyes.

As the weekend showed they don't have much left in the front row cupboard if somebody else goes down. Maybe they have somebody in the U16's pack who needs to head up to the 1st XV for training this week.

I’d suggest they play to sideline. Kick for touch often or put it deep and then try to unleash the back line off the lineout or a highball with those big backs. But if they give up penalties at a 3-1 ratio forget about it.

Nudgee need to do the opposite. Pick and drive, look for scrums, starve the BBC back line of possession, get in the No 10's face and get under the oppositions skin and rattle them.

They also have a flyhalf that can put boot to ball well and a backline that is big enough to not to get run over by Hoffman and Howarth out wide.

TGS's biggest problem on the weekend was that their backline was a lot smaller than BBC's. Once it got one on one out-wide they were heavily outmatched physically.

This weekend, the pressure of expectations is much heavier on BBC. That huge premiership monkey on their shoulders.

2 weeks ago I would have put BBC as favorites but Nudgee have the edge now.

It’s going to be a very interesting match that I think will come down to coaching, game plan execution, and mental fortitude.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
History suggests that they dont butcher many.

At the risk of irritating BBC supporters, which appears to be most of the forum.

BBC have two game plans ,whilst effective, they are plainly obvious.

1) Mason kicks to the corners, they try and force an error and then pass to Howarth.

2) Dont worry about the kick

Nudgee by 15 pts.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)

At the risk of irritating BBC supporters, which appears to be most of the forum.

1) Mason kicks to the corners, they try and force an error and then pass to Howarth.

Nudgee by 15 pts.

It's not irritating to me Blanco.

Opinions are what the forum is supposed to be about, and its not like posters who aren't BBC supporters are banned.

I think I found this forum in 2009. Not too many BBC related posts back then, except for their losing score-line prediction against pretty much everyone they played.

Admittedly it has been a BBC dominated forum this year, and the last couple of years, and I am probably the main culprit but if people don't say anything then there is nothing to read here.

We are on the same page with the BBC gameplans. Option 1 for me. He will be too heavily marked for option 2. Rather have him charging down the NC back 3 whilst they are trying to catch a highball.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Confucious said over a thousand years ago "You cannot win the GPS 1st xv rugby without the best 10 in the comp"
And we all know who:
-was the Qld under 16 number 10 last year;
-is the Qld under 18 squad 10 this year.

Hint-his brother will play for rebels next yer.

Dalle Cort has a brother???

C

CRUISER

Nudgee by 15 pts.

Before I start.....FairPlay observations are reasoned and well thought through. Rationale unbiased...... here is my go....

After watching TSS v GT I Think the battle of the colours nonsense is over. NUDGEE hand back the butchers stripes to TERRACE- they deserve them more. Gt can butcher anything on that display.

To be fair, since the horror start, Gt have turned their horrible season around. Since their 13 players(red cards)v 15 player victory over Churchie, they seemed to have found some form and credit needs to be offered for taking TSS to the line...... then choked.

NUDGEE should not be too confident about the weekend. Why do they have all this confidence all of a sudden? You are dreaming in ancient history if you think BBC will be a walk over. (Btw I continue to believe NUDGEE will win)

BGS are a much better team than they demonstrated on the weekend v NUDGEE......BGS worst game this season. They have major size issues and lack positional play and their line speed started 2 metres behind the line , hence giving NUDGEE the false impression ,that they have a quality 10, their back line was so slick with room to move everywhere. BGS line speed in defence was snail like and unorganised..... but BGS shows real guts when they played.

Having said that, the score did not truely reflect the contest . BGS competed at many breakdowns and gave NUDGEE plenty of heart burn as much as NUDGEE will chose to ignore it.

BGS like Tgs , gave plenty of ticker , but lacked the disciplined drill of the big four premiership contenders. Ie the polish.

From an outsiders point of view, BBC line speed in defence is phenomenal, up to a metre offside most of the time. If this line speed is demonstrated against a NUDGEE backline, the NUDGEE centres whose hands are questionable at the best of time, may get a touch of the fumbles behind the gain line, for BBC back three to swoop, whilst the lumbering NUDGEE pack have to turn around , run backwards, to work out why the ball is behind them, and they don’t exactly look like the NUDGEE cross country team. If this happens,to the 50 min mark, NUDGEE replacements may be needed as I expect to see some puffin and blowin.....and hands on knees. This is not BGS.

I think BBC is a fitter team but did look tired last week.weight of their entire school history on their shoulders. Unique position!

BBC pressure because of the occasion will be massive. The expectations are so high on those lads, it would be understandable if the pressure got to much and they will need the school councillor on Monday if they go down. They have plenty to play for, but they have big ego’s too. They thought they won the premiership week one and are beginning to find out , they don’t give you premierships without earning it. Their “ we are bigger , faster, stronger, bullying and strong arm tactics” is beginning to wear thin. Tgs stopped the swagger. You can act tough, but you better back it up with actions- and if you lose you look like a goose. Stick to Rugby boys and you won’t give away penalties in front ,and yellow cards.

NUDGEE forwards won’t put up with the trash talk, on field. Zip it.

Meanwhile TSS and Churchie sit in the shed, Enjoying watching these two gladiators school bash each other to bits, whilst obviously cheering a NUDGEE victory. Can’t we all just.... get along.? 4 way tie sounds fair result for this SEASON.

Great season so far.... all schools. Pity everyone can’t get a trophy like year 5 athletics day. Maybe next year.

A

Aussie Luke

I think BBC are still in the best position to win this weekend and I think they have been the best team in the competition so far.
Having said that I note a few things;
1. The BBC forward pack will not achieve the same level of go forward as in their previous matches and consequently, their backline will not have the same impact on this game (this is the comment I will most likely told to be eat if BBC win this game)
2. BBC will not have met such powerful defence as the defence that Nudgee has been putting out since the IGS match when they were down to 13 players on the field and they managed to hold their line. They have barely been crossed since then. BBC have.
3. Nudgee have improved with each week and their momentum and confidence is peaking at the right end of the season. I think the coach will be able to put them/keep them in a strong mental space and to turn their minds to the BBC jugular this Saturday. The coaching team will of course be wheeling out an army of Nudgee Old Boy Wallabies to speak to them this week before the game. BBC can't compete with their narrative and culture.
4. I think the Nudgee flyhalf is very smart, very solid and his kicking game is superb. I think also that the halfback is the best sniper in the competition and they will be running a lot of inside channels as a result of the forward's game they will want to play and their natural inclination to test the inside channels.
5. Nudgee are used to the Premiership pressure game. This is experience is present from their first year at Nudgee through to their final game at Nudgee.
6. BBC seemed to be a bit over emotional to me last year in the defeat against TSS and I also noticed that they were also a bit over emotional in the victory over TSS a couple of weekends ago. Nudgee appear to me to me more stoic in their attitude and I think this will be important in pressure moments in this match.
7. Before the season started the Nudgee captain was interviewed on the Nudgee Rugby Review Show and he said BBC is their focus this year. They have been planning for this game all season.
8. Nudgee is Nudgee. Nudgee win.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
For mine there is one key factor in the premiership decider this Saturday - the ability of BBC's (and NC's) kicker to get the ball over the crossbar and between the 2 uprights. History provides countless examples where this has cost them the title. Will it be groundhog day for BBC on Saturday?
Thus far this season (conversions only - Rugby Xplorer doesn't have missed penalty goal attempts recorded)
0/3 vs ACGS (admittedly a trial match in absolutely torrential rain)

7/11 vs GT
2/7 vs BGS
2/9 vs IGS
4/6 vs TSS
3/6 vs TGS

If we exclude the trial matches (vs ACGS and GT) this gives a combined season total of 11/28 a mere 39% success rate. Kicking cost the GT boys last week against TSS. I fear for supporters of the Green and Black that a similar fate awaits them on Saturday.

A

Aussie Luke

The Nudgee flyhalf seems to nail almost all of his kicks. He's the quiet achiever but it wouldn't surprise me if he kicked Nudgee to victory on Saturday. Nudgee will be playing for penalties for sure. Forward dominance, tight play. pressure plays - penalties.