• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone know the record for tries in a gps season?? Because Nudgee hooker Will Rogers has picked up 9. All off the back of rolling mauls, showing just how dominant the nudgee forwards have been this year.
Yeah, but any team that rolls one against Nudgee end up having their run pulled down by the NC 4 & 5. The refs need to wake up to this and dish out more yellows. In fact, they should start this week with only 13 players due to many previous infringements.

GT beat NC in 2016 at Tennyson in a side that featured Harry Wilson (Qld Reds), Josh Nasser (Qld Reds), Isaac Lucas (Ricoh Black Rams), Byron Ralston (Ex Force now Connacht) plus plenty of other boys who made that year a great year for the Red and Black. . Should have one the premiership but BSHS spoiled it by taking a last gasp win against TSS.
I did say in "living memory with maybe except one" and yes I agree, Harry Wilson is a half decent player. ;). I have no idea who the other third stringers are, you mentioned- did they play Rugby once? ( ..........Stand back - That comment should get some red and black Blood boiling - such offence to such Rugby Royalty). :)

Only joking - that was a "memorable win" for the Gorrillas that year and they had a good team with spirit to match.

We are still a round away from THAT NEXT DERBY but, I am unsure if GT have the ambush in them this year, but certainly without RT and at Home, this would have to be the best opportunity , presented to them on a plate. Furtherest from it being the Team of the Century, This Nudgee team is perhaps the weakest for a few years without RT, and so long as GT don't drop their bundle ,and those inspirational leaders fire up as we have seen in glimpses this season, well .....anything could happen. Remember when the Irish beat the All Blacks this year at home.

Teams can certainly grow a leg when motivated in a " State of Origin - Queenlander " Type of way, and well GT should be motivated having worn so much Lip from Nudgee over the years. All the other GPS schools quietly smirk , when they hear GT go through the annual ritual of publicly announcing , of being a real chance of Knocking off Nudgee this year - Only to be trounced. Seriously it becomes monotonous if not cruel.

GT has been a great Rugby school in the past - and I mean the deep dark past, but this year maybe different. I have positively commented on the early games , where this team showed real mongrel and ticker and were prepared to roll the sleeves up. They will need to be fully committed to the win and prepared to put their bodies on the line. It will be trench warfare and will be that way for the full 70 minutes. Their leaders will need to dig deep and lead by example as they have done in the early games. And they will need to believe - To actually believe that they can actually beat Nudgee.

This weekend the GT are being given a great training run against IGS , and a gutsey Loss will be fine to position them for the Derby. There is nothing more GT can get from the Season so a triumphant win at Tennyson at the Derby Day against Nudgee, will be better than Christmas! As usual my money will be safely on Nudgee, and I won't give GT much hope, but it is really up to the GT team to finally show some real MOXY and to bring home a memorable win, for their school. I will wish them Good luck.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes they did, BGS 12B’s beat Nudgee 12D’s and 13C’s beat Nudgee 13D’s

When I say they won all their games I mean official games eg 13As v 13As not for instance the 14Ds v 14Bs. Good for those Grammar lads though to get a win at Nudgee playing fields regardless of the teams they were in or played against and that's the important thing.

Last edited:

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
GT beat NC in 2016 at Tennyson in a side that featured Harry Wilson (Qld Reds), Josh Nasser (Qld Reds), Isaac Lucas (Ricoh Black Rams), Byron Ralston (Ex Force now Connacht) plus plenty of other boys who made that year a great year for the Red and Black. . Should have one the premiership but BSHS spoiled it by taking a last gasp win against TSS.
I rate Terrace's chances v Nudgee at Tennyson this year. Nudgee is underperforming and the Terrace crowd will know they are up for a good crack at an upset.

When I say they won all their games I mean official games eg 13As v 13As not for instance the 14Ds v 14Bs. Good for those Grammar lads though to get a win at Nudgee playing fields regardless of the teams they were in or played against and that the important thing.
I like confidence -

13A
IGS 43- TGS 0
IGS 31 - ACGS 0
IGS 57 -BBC 10
IGS 71 -BGS 0
IGS 29 - BSHS 7

This Team is going well - I was soundly put in my place a week or so , when I alluded Nudgee 13A were big - Wait until you see BSHS they said!
As the saying goes there is always a "bigger Junk Yard Dog".

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ippy smash teams until U15 when the other teams catch up in size. I wouldnt read too much into this for the longer term outlook but having said that I do still think Ippy will cause a big upset or two this season. The number 13 for Ipswich is impressive.

Ippy smash teams until U15 when the other teams catch up in size. I wouldnt read too much into this for the longer term outlook but having said that I do still think Ippy will cause a big upset or two this season. The number 13 for Ipswich is impressive.
Sounds like My SKILLS v SIZE debate again. If you have wins right through out each age group and its done on size rather than skill, does one really have a rugby program? I point the finger at no school- just raise the argument for all to consider.

of my experience watching one 13A game for 20 minutes, I say that the ACGS 13A will be trounced by the teams relying on size at the moment, but looking at the Skill sets they have already taken on board from obviously a good coach ( I don't know them), I suggest Churchie will have another formidable XV team coming through for the 2026/27 year. If I am right, that is a productive rugby program.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's nothing to do with 'catching up in size' and that is a bit of a generalised assessment of IGS. Other schools 'catch up' by bringing players from outside their system into their program. IGS don't go on massive recruitment drives and import a 1st XV after year 10. The current IGS 1st XV are boys who have come through the school system from the younger age groups, including their 13 you mentioned. Generally the school will stick with who they have right through to year 12. Only a handful are offered scholarships and that's generally in years 8 and 9. It would be interesting to compare current 1st XV squads and see how many boys actually started in U12, 13, 14 and made it through to 1sts compared to boys brought in at year 10, 11.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
I did say in "living memory with maybe except one" and yes I agree, Harry Wilson is a half decent player. ;). I have no idea who the other third stringers are, you mentioned- did they play Rugby once? ( ..........Stand back - That comment should get some red and black Blood boiling - such offence to such Rugby Royalty). :)

Only joking - that was a "memorable win" for the Gorrillas that year and they had a good team with spirit to match.

We are still a round away from THAT NEXT DERBY but, I am unsure if GT have the ambush in them this year, but certainly without RT and at Home, this would have to be the best opportunity , presented to them on a plate. Furtherest from it being the Team of the Century, This Nudgee team is perhaps the weakest for a few years without RT, and so long as GT don't drop their bundle ,and those inspirational leaders fire up as we have seen in glimpses this season, well .....anything could happen. Remember when the Irish beat the All Blacks this year at home.

Teams can certainly grow a leg when motivated in a " State of Origin - Queenlander " Type of way, and well GT should be motivated having worn so much Lip from Nudgee over the years. All the other GPS schools quietly smirk , when they hear GT go through the annual ritual of publicly announcing , of being a real chance of Knocking off Nudgee this year - Only to be trounced. Seriously it becomes monotonous if not cruel.

GT has been a great Rugby school in the past - and I mean the deep dark past, but this year maybe different. I have positively commented on the early games , where this team showed real mongrel and ticker and were prepared to roll the sleeves up. They will need to be fully committed to the win and prepared to put their bodies on the line. It will be trench warfare and will be that way for the full 70 minutes. Their leaders will need to dig deep and lead by example as they have done in the early games. And they will need to believe - To actually believe that they can actually beat Nudgee.

This weekend the GT are being given a great training run against IGS , and a gutsey Loss will be fine to position them for the Derby. There is nothing more GT can get from the Season so a triumphant win at Tennyson at the Derby Day against Nudgee, will be better than Christmas! As usual my money will be safely on Nudgee, and I won't give GT much hope, but it is really up to the GT team to finally show some real MOXY and to bring home a memorable win, for their school. I will wish them Good luck.
Interesting the rivalry of Terrace and Nudgee in First XV over the years. In 1932, when my father was in the TGS First XV, the Premiership was shared between TGS and NC who each had 1 loss. TGS lost to NC and NC lost to GT. That was the only win GT had in the season. I guess Terrace were well and truly pumped for that one.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's nothing to do with 'catching up in size' and that is a bit of a generalised assessment of IGS. Other schools 'catch up' by bringing players from outside their system into their program. IGS don't go on massive recruitment drives and import a 1st XV after year 10. The current IGS 1st XV are boys who have come through the school system from the younger age groups, including their 13 you mentioned. Generally the school will stick with who they have right through to year 12. Only a handful are offered scholarships and that's generally in years 8 and 9. It would be interesting to compare current 1st XV squads and see how many boys actually started in U12, 13, 14 and made it through to 1sts compared to boys brought in at year 10, 11.
To my knowledge IGS has a huge number of kids on scholarship. (Not just in rugby) The current UI6 team was predominantly scholarships...granted many of them starting in year 7 and 8... They were a very hard tough team. But as years go by some of them leave and some don't work out. They are still a good team but the problem is depth. There is only one or two teams in a lot of age groups so there just isn't enough depth and enough competition. I am not sure why they only get a couple of teams in each age group

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
A few injuries with GT this week. A new centre pairing. The big news is Cody Harkins starting at hooker. This kid is a gun, a future wallaby. Only grade 10, a complete all round player in attack and defense.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
My tips

No big surprises this week.

IGS - building nicely
TGS- will be great to see them get across the line on some games
NC - although BSHS will make things difficult for NC
TSS - I can't see them not at worst sharing the premiership from this point

Re the scholarships...all GPS schools offer these and it's a privilege for both the schools and the students to enter into these arrangements.

rugbylover35

Frank Row (1)
A few injuries with GT this week. A new centre pairing. The big news is Cody Harkins starting at hooker. This kid is a gun, a future wallaby. Only grade 10, a complete all round player in attack and defense.
Cody Harkings will make IGS day very difficult, as you said, the kid is a gun, and it will be awesome to see how he shines at the first XV level, and I'm sure he will. Henry Hill and Ged Sheahan, the 2nds GT centre pairing will run a muck in defence against the 'unstoppable' IGS backline attack. News is also Max Boulton is starting on the wing, he will be electric, exciting news for GT.

RugbyKing

Frank Row (1)
Word on this forum and out of the terrace Camp this week is that Under 16 reds squad hooker Cody Harkins to start at hooker due to injury. no doubt he'll live up to the hype, only being in year 10, plenty of time for the lad to develop, don't be surprised if you see him on the big screen in the next 5 years, and it all starts on Saturday vs IGS, the opposing hooker will have his work cut out for him...

Last edited:

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
GT v IGS - Terrace trying something different this week by playing the seconds backline. Next week the forwards are backs and the backs are forwards so everyone gets to try each position - IGS by 10
TGS v BBC - MOTR for mine. BBC are sneaking up on another win and will give it their all against the country brothers. 19 all draw.
NC v BSHS - Bloodbath. Nudgee by 30
BGS v TSS - Another interesting game. I think the BGS forwards can match up and the halves are also on par, but Jai Gray will have too much speed and skill for BGS defensive line and will ultimately be the difference. TSS by 15.
Perfect weather for it so should be some great games. Good luck to all teams.