• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

ThatGuy98

Banned
BBC undeniably had an impressive 3-5 year spell with the big boys of school boy rugby; produced some stellar talent of which some alumni are moving through the super rugby development programs and some have already established themselves in professional teams. Nonetheless, looking through the BBC teams coming through, it seems this short reign is coming to an end for the college. GPS footy will go back to as it always has been with Nudgee, Tss and Churchie being the consistent, dominant big three, while BBC will shrivel back to mid table in the years coming.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
BBC undeniably had an impressive 3-5 year spell with the big boys of school boy rugby; produced some stellar talent of which some alumni are moving through the super rugby development programs and some have already established themselves in professional teams. Nonetheless, looking through the BBC teams coming through, it seems this short reign is coming to an end for the college. GPS footy will go back to as it always has been with Nudgee, Tss and Churchie being the consistent, dominant big three, while BBC will shrivel back to mid table in the years coming.
Clickbait great first post.

Churchie have been pretty weak across the board for some time now - TSS good from 15up from which is when they start to recruit - Nudgee always the benchmark!!! How’d the BBC Churchie trials go?

Rodger Ramjet

Frank Row (1)
Took a drive down to the GC last weekend to those magnificent back ovals at TSS on the river..
Good to see GT starting to get back to full strength, but still a few short.

But I must tip my lid to the TSS boys that for what ever reason's received 5 or 6 yellow cards in the game resulting in 2 penalty try's against them,
played the last10 minutes of the first half and the whole 2nd half with 13 players and still scored try's whilst displaying some stiff defense on their line for long periods.
I've not seen to much written about them they maybe the surprise team this year..

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
Took a drive down to the GC last weekend to those magnificent back ovals at TSS on the river..
Good to see GT starting to get back to full strength, but still a few short.

But I must tip my lid to the TSS boys that for what ever reason's received 5 or 6 yellow cards in the game resulting in 2 penalty try's against them,
played the last10 minutes of the first half and the whole 2nd half with 13 players and still scored try's whilst displaying some stiff defense on their line for long periods.
I've not seen to much written about them they maybe the surprise team this year..
I also watched this travesty unfold. I was waiting for TSS to be reduced to a cricket eleven ; then maybe to a basketball team.
All this after TSS had opened a 21 point lead within about ten minutes. Having watched some pretty terrible ref displays in super rugby I had the impression their decisions favoured the dominant team ; certainly not so in this game. A lop sided penalty count ; two penalty tries ; marching the home side ten meters on numerous occasions ; at least 5 cards ; I suspect he was having trouble keeping up with the play.
Most worrying was Terrace’s inability to keep seven tries out and their ability to score but one when TSS finally ran out of numbers.
TSS have some pretty handy forwards and a real sting in the tail in their backline.
Please referee gods don’t allow this display to happen again.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
I also watched this travesty unfold. I was waiting for TSS to be reduced to a cricket eleven ; then maybe to a basketball team.
All this after TSS had opened a 21 point lead within about ten minutes. Having watched some pretty terrible ref displays in super rugby I had the impression their decisions favoured the dominant team ; certainly not so in this game. A lop sided penalty count ; two penalty tries ; marching the home side ten meters on numerous occasions ; at least 5 cards ; I suspect he was having trouble keeping up with the play.
Most worrying was Terrace’s inability to keep seven tries out and their ability to score but one when TSS finally ran out of numbers.
TSS have some pretty handy forwards and a real sting in the tail in their backline.
Please referee gods don’t allow this display to happen again.
Four yellows were for high tackles, three of those were coat hangers of which one was under the posts and resulted in the first penalty try. The second penalty try was their second rower coming in from the side on a rolling maul and tackling the ball carrier as he approached the try line. All cards and penalty try's definitely warranted. The marching of 10m was for the 9 continually throwing the ball away when a penalty was given against TSS. Plenty of cheap punches thrown by this bloke as well. TSS have a real discipline problem and an understanding of the rules problem, which is what happens when you recruit league players into the team grade 11. Sure, TSS will win more than they lose due to their size and speed but will be the most penalised and carded team this year

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
Four yellows were for high tackles, three of those were coat hangers of which one was under the posts and resulted in the first penalty try. The second penalty try was their second rower coming in from the side on a rolling maul and tackling the ball carrier as he approached the try line. All cards and penalty try's definitely warranted. The marching of 10m was for the 9 continually throwing the ball away when a penalty was given against TSS. Plenty of cheap punches thrown by this bloke as well. TSS have a real discipline problem and an understanding of the rules problem, which is what happens when you recruit league players into the team grade 11. Sure, TSS will win more than they lose due to their size and speed but will be the most penalised and carded team this year
So you’re the bloke with a red cap on who was standing at the south east corner: the northern try line; the 50 meter line etc etc.
Both TSS locks are union boys as is the new 10. The 6 (16 on jersey is a new boy from Kebra Park) and not involved in the ref’s demolition or high tackles.
You seem to intimate that rugby league players are high tacklers
With which I’m sure leagues would take exception. The home team was marched on more than one occasion.
Strangely TSS had no such trouble with the same team against BSHS last week - boy have they learned some bad habits in a week!
The TSS coach is an experienced and ethical man , his record speaks for itself.
At the risk of turning this into an ad hominem affair; were you not on the 50 m mark in the first half when Jye Gray was flattened in what appeared like a trip after he kicked the ball ?
So one new league responsible for all that?

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
So you’re the bloke with a red cap on who was standing at the south east corner: the northern try line; the 50 meter line etc etc.
Both TSS locks are union boys as is the new 10. The 6 (16 on jersey is a new boy from Kebra Park) and not involved in the ref’s demolition or high tackles.
You seem to intimate that rugby league players are high tacklers
With which I’m sure leagues would take exception. The home team was marched on more than one occasion.
Strangely TSS had no such trouble with the same team against BSHS last week - boy have they learned some bad habits in a week!
The TSS coach is an experienced and ethical man , his record speaks for itself.
At the risk of turning this into an ad hominem affair; were you not on the 50 m mark in the first half when Jye Gray was flattened in what appeared like a trip after he kicked the ball ?
So one new league responsible for all that?
No Wombat, I wasn’t there on the day but have reviewed the footage. My main point in the previous post was that most of the penalties were warranted. The jibe at the league boys is probably misguided but, as an outsider looking in, TSS tackling style is more akin to what we’d expect on the rugby league field rather than the union pitch. It’s obvious that the boys are coached to tackle around the nipples in an attempt to prevent an offload whereas the Terrace lads were predominantly around the hips - which did allow TSS to keep the ball alive in many occurrence. I guess if you do take on this high style of tackling then you will run the risk of slipping higher and the only result must be a penalty, hence the second part to my post and TSS will be the most penalised team this year.

With the JG incident. He went to ground with a right leg injury at the 15min mark, by the time the ball was kicked back in his direction 20sec later it was his left leg and within 2 more minutes ran full pace at the line to set up the fullback to score. Bit of gamesmanship I’d think, but good on you for pointing it out.

Wombat70

Allen Oxlade (6)
No Wombat, I wasn’t there on the day but have reviewed the footage. My main point in the previous post was that most of the penalties were warranted. The jibe at the league boys is probably misguided but, as an outsider looking in, TSS tackling style is more akin to what we’d expect on the rugby league field rather than the union pitch. It’s obvious that the boys are coached to tackle around the nipples in an attempt to prevent an offload whereas the Terrace lads were predominantly around the hips - which did allow TSS to keep the ball alive in many occurrence. I guess if you do take on this high style of tackling then you will run the risk of slipping higher and the only result must be a penalty, hence the second part to my post and TSS will be the most penalised team this year.

With the JG incident. He went to ground with a right leg injury at the 15min mark, by the time the ball was kicked back in his direction 20sec later it was his left leg and within 2 more minutes ran full pace at the line to set up the fullback to score. Bit of gamesmanship I’d think, but good on you for pointing it out.
Let him who is not tainted with the original sin of playing rugby league in primary school or later throw the first forward pass.
Blessed are the pure union players as they will avoid the nipples of their opposition.
I now understand your focus on coat hangers as you “ reviewed the footage” on a dodgy mobile phone in the laundry as you hid from your mum who wanted to wash your mouth out with soap after you resurrected the spectre of a swinging stiff arm a La the great Reg Gasnier.
I wonder, was the ref miked up so you could anointe yourself in his clearly infallible insights?
It’s good to see the Terrace boys are still being taught to avoid nipples - albeit the hips are a bit risqué - hence , I guess, their reluctance to lay hands on theTSS boys.
Your mate with the dodgy mobile phone must have bee fixated on JG as the game carried on for a few phases before our all knowing ref held it up. Should the camera men not have followed the ball?
Given the dominance what was the need for gamesmanship?
Sorry KFC but your sermon seemed a little holier than thou and smacked of rugby elitism.
Perhaps you should actually go to a game before plying it with your dogma.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)

Queensland Reds U18s​

Forwards

• Trevor King – Downlands College – Gladstone
  • Jack Spencer – University of Queensland
  • Hugh Smith – St Laurence’s College
  • Nick Bloomfield – Easts
  • Aidan Taylor – University of Queensland
  • Jat White – Kings Christian College – Gold Coast
  • Kreedance Locke – Bond University
  • Ben Daniels – Anglican Church Grammar School – Cloncurry
  • Dom Thygesen – Souths
  • Tobias Macpherson – Brisbane Boys College
  • Stuart Tualima – GPS
  • Larry Siala – St Edmund’s College – Ipswich
  • Cooper Cameron – St Joseph’s Nudgee College
  • Joe Liddy – Easts
  • Charlie McCauley – Brisbane Grammar School

Backs

• Luke Aiken – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Sunshine Coast
  • Tafito Ahki – St Edmund’s College – Ipswich
  • Finn Prass – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Sunshine Coast
  • Siosifa Kava-Uasike – Mountain Creek State High School – Sunshine Coast
  • Dre Pakeho – Anglican Church Grammar School
  • Roco Drougas-Gollings – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Gold Coast
  • Luke Hatherell – Easts
  • Toshi Butlin – Brisbane State High School
  • Kadin Pritchard – St Peter’s Lutheran College

Queensland Reds U18 White​

Forwards

• Ben Pula-Fatu – Ipswich Grammar School – Mackay
  • Luke O'Sullivan – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Bowen
  • Alex Kerr – Anglican Church Grammar Schol
  • Joe Nadenic – St Laurence’s College
  • Charles Stack – Brothers
  • Jack Condon – Brothers

Backs

• Thomas Manca – University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast
  • Tauave Leofa – Brisbane State High School
  • Maddox Mclean – St Joseph’s College Nudgee
  • Silivia Leofa – Brisbane State High School
  • Mikael Ibrahim - St Laurence’s College
  • Joe Wikaira – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Sunshine Coast
  • Ryley Bierton – Souths
  • Wihan Kruger – Toowoomba Grammar School – Toowoomba
  • Xavier Rubens – Brisbane Boys College

Less than 30 percent of selected current GPS school players. Is this due to lack of perceived talent or committed signings to League or maybe both? I really don’t know how they compare some of these lads playing in very different levels of competition and with GPS season only being 3 trials so far. Congrats to all that made it though.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)

Queensland Reds U18s​

Forwards

• Dom Thygesen – Souths
  • Stuart Tualima – GPS
  • Joe Liddy – Easts

Backs

• Luke Hatherell – Easts

Forwards

• Jack Condon – Brothers

Backs

• Ryley Bierton – Souths

Less than 30 percent of selected current GPS school players. Is this due to lack of perceived talent or committed signings to League or maybe both? I really don’t know how they compare some of these lads playing in very different levels of competition and with GPS season only being 3 trials so far. Congrats to all that made it though.
Alot of the boys picked would struggle to play firsts in the GPS,the trial game on Sunday was appalling,the reds academy vs everyone else .

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Queensland Reds U18s​

Forwards

• Dom Thygesen – Souths
  • Stuart Tualima – GPS
  • Joe Liddy – Easts

Backs

• Luke Hatherell – Easts

Forwards

• Jack Condon – Brothers

Backs

• Ryley Bierton – Souths

Got to remember it’s an U18 team , not a schoolboys team . Quite a few of the boys with clubs named after them were at a GPS school last year.

BluesAllDay

Bob McCowan (2)
Alot of the boys picked would struggle to play firsts in the GPS,the trial game on Sunday was appalling,the reds academy vs everyone else .
Exactly! Season has not started, what did they select off? Teams are pretty poor. If this continues, a super rugby title is along way off.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
With my limited knowledge, please don’t
Shoot the messenger.

From what I have been told, the GPS schools have little interest in the Schoolboys game. Most GPS schools don’t have their players trial for the schoolboys team, hence the small selections from GPS schools.

Congratulations on the boys selected, great achievement. Hopefully greater things ahead for these boys.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

With my limited knowledge, please don’t
Shoot the messenger.

From what I have been told, the GPS schools have little interest in the Schoolboys game. Most GPS schools don’t have their players trial for the schoolboys team, hence the small selections from GPS schools.

Congratulations on the boys selected, great achievement. Hopefully greater things ahead for these boys.
it is NOT a schoolboys team.

This is one of the ways that the discussion about GPS school elitism is being addressed. The Qld Rugby outfit is casting its eyes further afield and giving opportunity to others to shine at age group carnivals.

If GPS schools want to lock their talent away then that is for them to decide.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
it is NOT a schoolboys team.

This is one of the ways that the discussion about GPS school elitism is being addressed. The Qld Rugby outfit is casting its eyes further afield and giving opportunity to others to shine at age group carnivals.

If GPS schools want to lock their talent away then that is for them to decide.
By picking kids who are not upto standard?,but because they come from out of the GPS ,which is the superior rugby competition ,be interesting if NSW do that when they play in 2 weeks

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

By picking kids who are not upto standard?,but because they come from out of the GPS ,which is the superior rugby competition ,be interesting if NSW do that when they play in 2 weeks
They picked the best players that put themselves up for selection by attending the carnival.

If a player chooses not to participate (because he school said so) he cant be forced

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
The U18 pathway seems pretty disorganised at the moment. The trial for Reds U18 was scheduled on the same weekend many boys were playing in the Qld Rugby Schools state championships which Sunshine Coast won. There were boys playing in this championship who had to choose between a trial for Reds or playing in the State Championship. Some players opted for the Reds trial while others who had committed and paid their fees for the State Championships stayed put. I also believe there was a rugby league tournament happening over the weekend at the same time.

At the conclusion of the State Championships, a QLD team has been named to play in Sydney, meanwhile separately, the Reds have named their U18 team to play the Rebels and Waratahs over the next fortnight. So now, we have a dilution of talent spread across two QLD representative teams. Now some may argue that is a good thing as it exposes more boys to representative rugby and casts the net wider. The QLD championships also gives boys from state schools the opportunities to trial whereas the Reds U18 trials predominately contained 18-year-old boys now playing colts along with current schoolboys, mainly from GPS, AIC with a few Toowoomba, Sunny Coast and Gold Coast boys included.

The Reds trial and the State Championship are both valid pathways leading into the Reds program; however, it seems a bit disorganised with date clashes and schools choosing who to put forward for trials and what tournaments they will allow their boys to participate in. Ipswich Grammar for example prevented boys from trailing for U18 Met West, whereas State High allowed their boys to trial for Met East. I believe some other GPS schools also didn't support the QLD Championship as they didn't see it as a valid pathway. The Reds trial appeared to be the current academy players along with boys not currently playing in the QLD Championship. So, you’d argue that the current Reds U18 team may not be the best team that could be put on the park at this point in time.

There needs to be a strategy put in place that still allows for these competitions to continue, avoids the date clashes, and ensures all boys playing rugby are given an opportunity to participate without interference from outside parties and without having to pick and choose which is the better option for their rugby journey.

In September there is a second block of U18 matches against the Brumbies, Waratahs and Rebels. With no tournament clashes it will be interesting to see the makeup of the U18 Reds team that is selected compared to the current one and how many players from the QLD State championship team or other bolters push for selection.

In saying all that, congratulations to all the boys and best of luck to those who were selected.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The U18 pathway seems pretty disorganised at the moment. The trial for Reds U18 was scheduled on the same weekend many boys were playing in the Qld Rugby Schools state championships which Sunshine Coast won. There were boys playing in this championship who had to choose between a trial for Reds or playing in the State Championship. Some players opted for the Reds trial while others who had committed and paid their fees for the State Championships stayed put. I also believe there was a rugby league tournament happening over the weekend at the same time.

At the conclusion of the State Championships, a QLD team has been named to play in Sydney, meanwhile separately, the Reds have named their U18 team to play the Rebels and Waratahs over the next fortnight. So now, we have a dilution of talent spread across two QLD representative teams. Now some may argue that is a good thing as it exposes more boys to representative rugby and casts the net wider. The QLD championships also gives boys from state schools the opportunities to trial whereas the Reds U18 trials predominately contained 18-year-old boys now playing colts along with current schoolboys, mainly from GPS, AIC with a few Toowoomba, Sunny Coast and Gold Coast boys included.

The Reds trial and the State Championship are both valid pathways leading into the Reds program; however, it seems a bit disorganised with date clashes and schools choosing who to put forward for trials and what tournaments they will allow their boys to participate in. Ipswich Grammar for example prevented boys from trailing for U18 Met West, whereas State High allowed their boys to trial for Met East. I believe some other GPS schools also didn't support the QLD Championship as they didn't see it as a valid pathway. The Reds trial appeared to be the current academy players along with boys not currently playing in the QLD Championship. So, you’d argue that the current Reds U18 team may not be the best team that could be put on the park at this point in time.

There needs to be a strategy put in place that still allows for these competitions to continue, avoids the date clashes, and ensures all boys playing rugby are given an opportunity to participate without interference from outside parties and without having to pick and choose which is the better option for their rugby journey.

In September there is a second block of U18 matches against the Brumbies, Waratahs and Rebels. With no tournament clashes it will be interesting to see the makeup of the U18 Reds team that is selected compared to the current one and how many players from the QLD State championship team or other bolters push for selection.

In saying all that, congratulations to all the boys and best of luck to those who were selected.
Reds Academy has been a mess since Covid started.
Each operation (Clubs, Schools, Country) all run their own agendas.

Could do with a strong GM at Reds to try and harness all into a common goal and program. ( might be a poison chalice though)