• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Assume you’re aware there’s a load of 17yo kids in year 11?

They have down to 5ths this year and winning a good share of matches across the grades early on in season

Also won 16A/B and 15A/B against Terrace who have impressive depth.

Great game in the firsts yesterday and well done to Terrace showing great determination and skill to get the win
Yes I’m aware of the high numbers of 17 year olds in year 11 , all schools do. More than half of Terrace’s First XV match day 23 are in year 11.

Likewise there are a lot of 16 year olds in year 10. The age group is split over two years, but ne t year will make up a fair whack of your open age group. Just leaves you skinny with only two U16’s.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Add to the above , it was good to see BBC much stronger in the two U16 teams they fielded yesterday. In previous years this age group has had their A’s playing in the B’s competition, so well done to those involved in getting that sorted.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
BGS were surprise winners

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-202859_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-202859_Instagram.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 177

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is there anyone on here from Churchie Rugby that can answer my questions?

Why do you have Field Goals on that great looking Old Boys Scoreboard? ( no such thing in union)
Why wasn’t there any game programs printed yesterday?

Pat on the back to both teams yesterday for a fantastic game of schoolboys rugby
Not sure about the field goals but Churchie haven't done a printed program for some time now

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good to see competitive games in all First XV matches. well done to Terrace on beating BBC for the first time since 2016. BBC competing well with a very young team.

Shame some of the publicity and hype from a few years back seems to has dropped off. I wonder what happened to the double take production team? We used to get video highlights from all games, player profiles and a big build up to the game of the round each week on social media. All games would go on YouTube to watch later or revisit a historic game.

rugby is battling for viewers in Australia, but the GPS competition is still great viewing with a long and proud tradition. It would be great to see it heavily promoted again.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe bar 3 boys all firsts are eligible to play again next year. That’s depth right there.
Think a similar trend is apparent in quite a few teams this year. There are at least 3 U16s in the State High, Churchie, IGS and TGS teams and possibly also TerrCe. I think Nudgee is the only team with no U16s. Add to that the large number of year 11s in those same teams who will be there again next year means that this seems to be a generally younger in average group. Not sure why?

Outsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good to see competitive games in all First XV matches. well done to Terrace on beating BBC for the first time since 2016. BBC competing well with a very young team.

Shame some of the publicity and hype from a few years back seems to has dropped off. I wonder what happened to the double take production team? We used to get video highlights from all games, player profiles and a big build up to the game of the round each week on social media. All games would go on YouTube to watch later or revisit a historic game.

rugby is battling for viewers in Australia, but the GPS competition is still great viewing with a long and proud tradition. It would be great to see it heavily promoted again.
That hype was partly driven by parents who sadly move on (I was one) and no one takes up the challenge.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
After watching the Nudgee game, didn’t think the ref was too bad. He played advantage longer than most, but the only real blight I saw was not playing advantage when Nudgee’s 15 was into space with the line beckoning in the second half & the yellow card for the Nudgee winger for a little niggle (seriously it was only a winger) Nudgee we’re lucky a penalty try wasn’t awarded with the constant pulling down of the maul from line outs. The Toia tackle was consistent with the current laws, due to the trail arm sliding up & making contact with the neck in a “seatbelt” fashion. I would have been happy with a penalty due to mitigating factor of the attacker going down, but alas in the current environment of player safety it’s a role of the dice with referee interpretation. Great rugby by both sides, can’t wait for Round 3.
Nudgee 4 & 5 deliberately fall to the ground when defending a maul from the lineout. Refs need to be all over this and card them.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
After watching the Nudgee game, didn’t think the ref was too bad. He played advantage longer than most, but the only real blight I saw was not playing advantage when Nudgee’s 15 was into space with the line beckoning in the second half & the yellow card for the Nudgee winger for a little niggle (seriously it was only a winger) Nudgee we’re lucky a penalty try wasn’t awarded with the constant pulling down of the maul from line outs. The Toia tackle was consistent with the current laws, due to the trail arm sliding up & making contact with the neck in a “seatbelt” fashion. I would have been happy with a penalty due to mitigating factor of the attacker going down, but alas in the current environment of player safety it’s a role of the dice with referee interpretation. Great rugby by both sides, can’t wait for Round 3.
Was very strong Nudgee defence to keep Toowoomba out for so long in First 20 minutes especially when down to 14 players. That said agree the constant pulling down of the maul was worthy of possible penalty try or at the very least more yellow cards. I think the ref had a pretty good game otherwise. Nudgee defence was outstanding and TGS coaches game strategy limited Nudgee attack. Well done both teams. With Toowoomba held up over line as the last play, Nudgee only just got the win. Will give plenty of belief and a blueprint to other teams to potentially beat Nudgee. Makes for an exciting next few rounds.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)

Does anyone else think that Cluch streaming is poor quality compared to when the games used to be on YouTube? It's also a shame that the GPS principles have made the decision to ask Cluch to remove the games after 48 hours. Like you said 'TheRed' we should be promoting the game not hiding it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone else think that Cluch streaming is poor quality compared to when the games used to be on YouTube? It's also a shame that the GPS principles have made the decision to ask Cluch to remove the games after 48 hours. Like you said 'TheRed' we should be promoting the game not hiding it.

a reminder - the schools and their Head Masters (other than perhaps GT whose HM is on the Board of the QRU) don't care about promoting the game. It's only about what's best for their school

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Mate they lost despite a massive penalty count in their favour
Watching the replay on Cluch the penalty count against Nudgee was thoroughly deserved. As other posters noticed the dragging down of the lineout/maul by #4 and #5 deserved a yellow card and other infringements against the TGS rolling maul. If TGS had a half decent kicker and also if they scored a try at the death, TGS could have won. Churchie will put NC to the test this Saturday. Toia seems to have incorporated the old NRL swinging arm into his play after training sessions with the Roosters.

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
a reminder - the schools and their Head Masters (other than perhaps GT whose HM is on the Board of the QRU) don't care about promoting the game. It's only about what's best for their school
I don't understand this comment. What does the GT headmaster been on the board got to do with anything? How does he promote the game? Because I dont see GT doing anything nor its principal to promote schoolboy rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't understand this comment. What does the GT headmaster been on the board got to do with anything? How does he promote the game? Because I dont see GT doing anything nor its principal to promote schoolboy rugby.

I think as principals as a rule don't have an interest to grow the game.

Dr Carroll is on the board of the QRU, so in that capacity he has an interest to grow the game. Not that we are seeing anything active at GT or the schools in that capacity.

Round 3 prediction:
Churchie
GT
BBC
TSS
Mate as a Nudgee dad, you cannot be more wrong in your predictions. Nudgee will have a lot to prove after a scrappy game last weekend. The boys in the white and blue have gotten the waking up they needed. Churchie are in for a long day this saturday. BGS will also come out on top with the likes of Shannon Simpson, Rowan Tong-Law and Ben Mooney metaphorically as well as physically pulling GT's pants down. Not to mention the other super star players along side them, BGS have arguably the best bench in the GPS if not - then of all time.

Winterfell

Frank Row (1)
Nudgee 4 & 5 deliberately fall to the ground when defending a maul from the lineout. Refs need to be all over this and card them.
Toowoomba needed to “play to the ref” in the 2nd half when Nudgee got their rolling mauls going from line outs. Also agree a card would’ve been warranted for the continuous collapsing the maul infringements in that 1st half

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
3 massive islander boys on sideline injured for GT today.
The two carrying the water where the #8 and #3 from last year, both still in year 11 so will get another crack next year.

The #8 ( PJ Sua ) in particular was a huge loss for GT , impressed by how well the GT forwards have stepped up in their absence.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think Churchie are the team to beat at the moment. Nudgee have to really up their game and for god’s sake, work on kicking the ball into touch more than 10, 15 metres. They are very strong defensively but their kicking game is pretty ordinary. I think Churchie will win at home on Saturday but it will be a close one.