• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

I think Churchie are the team to beat at the moment. Nudgee have to really up their game and for god’s sake, work on kicking the ball into touch more than 10, 15 metres. They are very strong defensively but their kicking game is pretty ordinary. I think Churchie will win at home on Saturday but it will be a close one.
Talks out of the Churchie camp is that their centres are quite nervous to be coming up against the razor himself. I reckon Toia's gonna have his best gps game yet and prove why the Roosters are so invested him. I know most of you have heard of the block of cheese, well get ready for the block of bricks - Rob Toia

jangala_bennet14

Frank Row (1)
Round 3 prediction:
Churchie
GT
BBC
TSS
I would have to disagree on your prediction of Churchie beating the premiership favourites this weekend. with the likes of Rob Toia, Tory Bath, Liam LeBlanc and Cooper Cameron, i believe Churchie do not and will not have an answer on how to stop these boys. reflecting on the past games Tory and Rob always seem to be able to find a way to break tackles and make countless linebreaks without fail. The game against tgs did not properly reflect how dominant Nudgee really are. we should take into consideration the fact that the fullback for Nudgee had close to no ball all game and was not able to capitalise on certain situation due to this. Also with Coopers agression in his runs and LeBlancs heavy hits in the middle of the field i cannot see Churchie winning this weekend. I predict NC 17+

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
The "divided" competition was an agenda item on the GPS Headmasters forum a few years back when the "arms race" of GPS had Nudgee, TSS and BCC in the race at full throttle . It would be a tragedy if Qld went down the path of Sydney GPS rugby.
I don't think they Sydney GPS is down some bad path. Yes Sydney Grammar and Sydney Boys High 1st XVs now play in the 3rd XV comp along with The Armidale School but these schools made a decision to be academically selective at a high level. If you look at the weekend just gone in Sydney:
Joeys 32 v Newington 15
Kings 20 v Shore 19
Scots 22 v St Ignatius 20

Since 2010 all of them have won a 1st XV comp except Shore.

The CAS in Sydney also provides a lot of good trial games with Barker, Knox and Waverley routinely being on par with GPS 1st XVs. I'm not sure the AIC comp could provide these even match ups year on year.

igsspartans22

Frank Row (1)
As a IGS dad and oldboy i think this weekend round 3 is a big match up, Nudgee vs Churchie undoubtaly the premiership match and the game of the year, both teams undefeated with very good sides. Nudgee will bounce back after a tough game agasint the TGS boys from coming down the range to nearly defeat Nudgee's Greatest team ever as they say. However i do not think that Churchie will win, unfortunelty I think Churchie will buy into the hype like Nudgee did last weekend against TGS, and perform poorely. Nudgee will absolutely punish a team that doesn't dish it to them on the day. However if I am wong it will be a tight game but still think Nudgee will take home the Points and win the comp from there and will get over BGS. Players I would be watching are the two second rows from Nudgee #4 Griffin Shostakowski and #5 Jack Harley, i would say they are the glue of the team. Both of the players being absolute work horses in the rucks, securing the ruck in attack giving there half back clean ball for the coming attack and in defense winning the counter ruck and many pillfars. Griffin really getting under the skin of oponents and making them loose there heads leading to penaltys and Jack a hard and strong ball runner being 6'4. However players from Curchie like #1 Diamod Fifita and #8 Hugo Lumber will make Nudgee have there work cut out for them on the day. Diamond great in attack running over the top of people and Hugo a hard tackler rarely missing. Those are the only real standout players from Churchie with most of the team lacking skills that other school have. With the prediction of the final Score: NUDGEE 37 - CHURCHIE 12.

Rugbydad77

Frank Row (1)
As a Nudgee parent and my boy playing rugby at the college for a number of years I've been able to follow this 2022 year group throughout their development. Although many people accuse Nudgee of buying players (and in some cases this being true) it is clear that their rugby program and development is what makes them such a powerhouse. This is showcased in the fact that they did not drop a game throughout all the age groups against both TSS and TGS. Going through the 1st XV side only Macarius, Jake House, Robert Toia, Rocco Gollings and Tory Bath have been brought in on scholarship. Keeping in mind that these were done at a young age so that development didn't come out of nowhere. Although it was a tight game on the weekend, It is fair to say that the good teams get it done when they aren't playing well. The obvious star power within the side consists of Robert Toia's all-round game, Cooper Cameron and Liam Leblanc's effortless running and tackling game, Tory Bath and Kai Cormbango speed and evasiveness accompanied by an abundance of hard running, hard tackling players such as Paddy Dallimore and Rory Beech (supplying clean, quick ball for Inigo Lawrence). What excites me is the fact that Rocco Gollings already has a couple of years under his belt and will be able to guide the majority of the bench squad next year. To elaborate on this development within the college is the prospect of one of the best 2nd XV teams I have ever seen. Captained by Darcy Turner, this team could genuinely be added to the competition and go close. Coached by Ben Teo, it is clear that their game plan is to play fast and defend well. In the past two weeks the team has accumulated 78 points and only conceded 10. A large forward pack through Ethan Sneider Loose, Finlay King, Cruz Lemming, Darcy Turner and Alex Pattison, accompanied by extremely mobile loose forwards in Tom Hanson, Jack O'Brien and Noah Raluni. This forward pack is strong and fast, constantly providing quick ball for the backs who are led by Louis Devilliers (played 1st XV 2021) and Archie Condon. The size provided by Tom Harvey, Tariq Tanner (standout player behind Rob Toia) and Byron Cason along with impressive speed from Daniel Seaton, Morgan Burke and Emmanuel Taviri this back line is great to watch. What is great to see is the amount of dual position players within the side. Doug Swan (9) and Thomas Harvey (12) were unwell on the weekend and Daniel Seaton (15) as well as Louis Devilliers (10) switched postions to 9 and 12 seeminglessly. I don't see anyone getting close to this side this year and it is a clear sign that the development and depth at Nudgee College is to no other.

As a IGS dad and oldboy i think this weekend round 3 is a big match up, Nudgee vs Churchie undoubtaly the premiership match and the game of the year, both teams undefeated with very good sides. Nudgee will bounce back after a tough game agasint the TGS boys from coming down the range to nearly defeat Nudgee's Greatest team ever as they say. However i do not think that Churchie will win, unfortunelty I think Churchie will buy into the hype like Nudgee did last weekend against TGS, and perform poorely. Nudgee will absolutely punish a team that doesn't dish it to them on the day. However if I am wong it will be a tight game but still think Nudgee will take home the Points and win the comp from there and will get over BGS. Players I would be watching are the two second rows from Nudgee #4 Griffin Shostakowski and #5 Jack Harley, i would say they are the glue of the team. Both of the players being absolute work horses in the rucks, securing the ruck in attack giving there half back clean ball for the coming attack and in defense winning the counter ruck and many pillfars. Griffin really getting under the skin of oponents and making them loose there heads leading to penaltys and Jack a hard and strong ball runner being 6'4. However players from Curchie like #1 Diamod Fifita and #8 Hugo Lumber will make Nudgee have there work cut out for them on the day. Diamond great in attack running over the top of people and Hugo a hard tackler rarely missing. Those are the only real standout players from Churchie with most of the team lacking skills that other school have. With the prediction of the final Score: NUDGEE 37 - CHURCHIE 12.
As a Nudgee dad and old boy, I have to agree that Nudgee will have no qualms dealing with the "dog-lovers". It's bgs they have to worry about. News is that Australian School Boy's squad member, Sean Moyle, is set to return just in time for the premiership game in round 5. May the best team win

Last edited:

RugbyKing

Frank Row (1)
Haven't seen this discussed so i thought i'd bring it to your attention. Whatever refs are reffing for ACGS must start cracking down on the line-out throws from their hooker. after rewatching the GT vs ACGS game it is apparent that none of his throws were even close to being straight, which ultimately cost GT in the end. No hate to the player however it'd be a damn shame if a bad call like this is made this weekend which could cost NC not only the game, but also the premiership.