• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes well done to Terrace for hosting what looked like an outstanding day of rugby. I was off regarding Tennyson not being a great venue for the 1st XV. They positioned Nudgee in a large temporary stand to square off against the sideline and I noticed that the main stand is also squared off against the field and the atmosphere was superb with such an enthusiastic Terrace crowd. Great rituals also before and leading into the game.

I raise my glass to the Terrace community for putting on such a showcase of Brisbane schoolboy rugby and well done to the Terrace Firsts for playing such a great first half and well played generally. Great wins for Terrace's 2nds, 15As and 14Ds which makes them the most successful school against Nudgee this year overall with the 3 wins.

Last edited:

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
A big Saturday next weekend for Nudgee who will win the Premiership if they beat Ipswich away from Ross, so an exciting day for them at Ipswich. The following weekend will be a chance for both TSS and Churchie to join them as Premiers so a couple of exciting weekends coming up if Nudgee do in fact prove victorious. The scenario still exists that TSS or Churchie could take the title outright at this stage so plenty to play for that last weekend, especially if Nudgee lose to IGS.

Last edited:

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
IGS v NC - The humble Ashes urn rests in the Lords Cricket Ground Member's Pavilion regardless of who wins, but the Qld GPS Rugby Premiership silverware will go home to rest for another season in the Rugby Museum in the magnificent old Ambrose Treacy boarding house overlooking Ross Oval at Nudgee College on Saturday when it wins its 43rd Premiership in front of a raucous Nudgee crowd.

ACGS v BGS - Churchie to win comfortably against their more academically inclined rivals.

TSS v GT - Terrace to the Fore. Come on Terrace!!

BSHS v TGS - A big win for the Country boys.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Hi all,

Barker College is heading to Brisbane in the next few weeks in what will be a clash of two of the greatest 1stXV programs in Australia (arguably the two best of the last 5 years, with a few worthy competitors). What is the Nudgee team like this year?

Oldschoolpete

Frank Row (1)
Hi all,

Barker College is heading to Brisbane in the next few weeks in what will be a clash of two of the greatest 1stXV programs in Australia (arguably the two best of the last 5 years, with a few worthy competitors). What is the Nudgee team like this year?
Whats the story with the Sydney comp? My understanding is that the GPS comp lost some of its participants to a different comp. Does Barker play Joeys et al? Looking at the Aust Schoolboys line up from trials this year, the NSW I & NSW II teams had a lot of GPS players....

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Whats the story with the Sydney comp? My understanding is that the GPS comp lost some of its participants to a different comp. Does Barker play Joeys et al? Looking at the Aust Schoolboys line up from trials this year, the NSW I & NSW II teams had a lot of GPS players....
Mate I'll fill you in, it is confusing though.

There are 3 main comps, GPS which is the premier comp and fields the most talent, CAS who have 3 very talented schools and then 3 not so talented schools who every once in a while field decent teams, and then the ISA, who is weaker than the other 2 comps and apart from 1 or 2 schools every year, really struggle to field ample talent.

The GPS is made up of St Josephs, The Kings School, Scots College, St Ignatius College (Riverview), Shore, Newington College, Sydney Boys, Sydney Grammar and The Armidale School. Only Joeys, Kings, Scots, View, Shore and Newington field 1st XV's and 2nd XV's. Sydney Boys (academic selective school), Grammar (academic selective school) and The Armidale School (rural school) don't field the talent to compete, and hence their 1st XV's take part in the 3rd XV comp. It really is an issue for some of these schools even in this competition. I don't believe Sydney Boys even scored a single point this year in the 3rds comp. However, they haven't necessarily "lost" these schools to different comps, just merely their rugby programs have been left behind.

To further complicate this issue, even Shore have really struggled in recent history, and hadn't won a single 1st XV game in 6 years until this year when they placed 2nd, a huge achievement. This basically meant 5 good rugby programs in the GPS, with one punching bag (Shore), and 3 other programs completely left behind.

To amend this issue, the GPS and CAS combined for a couple of seasons in a sense. This also fixed an issue in the CAS, as Waverley in the CAS had historically been great, as had Knox, and Barker had arguably been the best 1st XV program in Australia, and almost objectively the best 1st XV program in NSW the last 6 years. However, on the other side of the spectrum, Trinity and Cranbrook were often getting smashed, and Aloys was being absolutely bullied, including a scoreline of 95-7 against Barker in 2019, where Barker benched half of their team at halftime AND stopped the game 15 minutes early due to a brawl. It would have been a 150ish scoreline had this not happened. Interestingly enough Aloys scored first this game.

Anyways, this fixed some of the matchup issues for a few years, but after the resurgence of Shore, the GPS have decided to split off again into a home and away style competition only involving the top 6 GPS schools.

We have a real problem in Sydney with these matchup issues. Real Shame.

Oldschoolpete

Frank Row (1)
Mate I'll fill you in, it is confusing though.

There are 3 main comps, GPS which is the premier comp and fields the most talent, CAS who have 3 very talented schools and then 3 not so talented schools who every once in a while field decent teams, and then the ISA, who is weaker than the other 2 comps and apart from 1 or 2 schools every year, really struggle to field ample talent.

The GPS is made up of St Josephs, The Kings School, Scots College, St Ignatius College (Riverview), Shore, Newington College, Sydney Boys, Sydney Grammar and The Armidale School. Only Joeys, Kings, Scots, View, Shore and Newington field 1st XV's and 2nd XV's. Sydney Boys (academic selective school), Grammar (academic selective school) and The Armidale School (rural school) don't field the talent to compete, and hence their 1st XV's take part in the 3rd XV comp. It really is an issue for some of these schools even in this competition. I don't believe Sydney Boys even scored a single point this year in the 3rds comp. However, they haven't necessarily "lost" these schools to different comps, just merely their rugby programs have been left behind.

To further complicate this issue, even Shore have really struggled in recent history, and hadn't won a single 1st XV game in 6 years until this year when they placed 2nd, a huge achievement. This basically meant 5 good rugby programs in the GPS, with one punching bag (Shore), and 3 other programs completely left behind.

To amend this issue, the GPS and CAS combined for a couple of seasons in a sense. This also fixed an issue in the CAS, as Waverley in the CAS had historically been great, as had Knox, and Barker had arguably been the best 1st XV program in Australia, and almost objectively the best 1st XV program in NSW the last 6 years. However, on the other side of the spectrum, Trinity and Cranbrook were often getting smashed, and Aloys was being absolutely bullied, including a scoreline of 95-7 against Barker in 2019, where Barker benched half of their team at halftime AND stopped the game 15 minutes early due to a brawl. It would have been a 150ish scoreline had this not happened. Interestingly enough Aloys scored first this game.

Anyways, this fixed some of the matchup issues for a few years, but after the resurgence of Shore, the GPS have decided to split off again into a home and away style competition only involving the top 6 GPS schools.

We have a real problem in Sydney with these matchup issues. Real Shame.
Cheers RedOrDead. Assuming Nudgee will field its full strength team, I suspect Nudgee will have the edge on this one. Regardless, its an interesting arrangement, having Sydney teams going up against Brisbane teams. I do know that earlier this year, Marist Ashgrove 1st XV travelled to Hunters Hill, to take on Joeys 2XV - ended in a draw. Will be interested to hear how it pans out. Good on Barker for making the effort.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cheers RedOrDead. Assuming Nudgee will field its full strength team, I suspect Nudgee will have the edge on this one. Regardless, its an interesting arrangement, having Sydney teams going up against Brisbane teams. I do know that earlier this year, Marist Ashgrove 1st XV travelled to Hunters Hill, to take on Joeys 2XV - ended in a draw. Will be interested to hear how it pans out. Good on Barker for making the effort.
Barker is arguably the strongest 1st XV in Australia at the moment so I wouldn't go as far as saying Nudgee will have an edge in this match. Barker will be bringing their full strength team including flyhalf Isaiya Katoa, signed by Redcliffe from 2023. Should be a great game and an awesome initiative from RugbyAU and both school sports directors and Directors of Rugby.

Hopefully this becomes an annual game between the top schools from NSW and QLD.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

Barker is ridiculously talented, there wouldn't be a more talented team in Australia, but a home field advantage, not to mention the fact that the Nudgee game is 5 weeks after Barker's season has ended, and Nudgee is in the middle of the season and hence at prime match fitness will give Nudgee the edge.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nudgee played Kings from Sydney this year in the under 15s and made a pretty easy meal of them.

Nudgee will wheel out their 2nds and 3rd and some under 16s. The open teams are a year younger in Brisbane i.e. 17 year olds in grade 12 v 18 year olds in grade 12 in Sydney. When Nudgee won the national rowing championships a few years ago they beat Scots College, Geelong Grammar etc as 17 year olds v 18 years olds. It'll be an interesting match up with a younger 2nd/3rds from Nudgee v Barker's 18 year old touring 1sts.

I'd love to see an official match each year between the winner of the Sydney competition v the winner of the Queensland competition but there is of course the issue of Queensland having to play up a year.

Last edited:

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nudgee played Kings from Sydney this year in the under 15s and made a pretty easy meal of them.

Nudgee will wheel out their 2nds and 3rd and some under 16s. The open teams are a year younger in Brisbane i.e. 17 year olds in grade 12 v 18 year olds in grade 12 in Sydney. When Nudgee won the national rowing championships a few years ago they beat Scots College, Geelong Grammar etc as 17 year olds v 18 years olds. It'll be an interesting match up with younger Nudgee's 2nd/3rds v Barker's 18 year old touring 1sts.
I'm not sure either team will be doing that if the game is going to be streamed on Stan. This will be the last game for both teams this year so don't think there is much point in resting Firsts players, especially when the 2nds are the ones that will play against Downlands.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

Nudgee will wheel out their 2nds and 3rd and some under 16s. The open teams are a year younger in Brisbane i.e. 17 year olds in grade 12 v 18 year olds in grade 12 in Sydney. When Nudgee won the national rowing championships a few years ago they beat Scots College, Geelong Grammar etc as 17 year olds v 18 years olds. It'll be an interesting match up with younger Nudgee's 2nd/3rds v Barker's 18 year old touring 1sts.

Would be silly rolling out 2nds and 3rd players against the premier 1st XV program in Australia at the moment. This comment epitomises arrogance.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

Barker played Marist Ashgrove in 2019. It was a big scoreline by Barker (60+) but both teams were in pre-season and both were only using squads. Not cemented 1st XV teams. Pleasure watching Floyd Aubrey play footy. The way he moves is ridiculous.

Rugby Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
I hope your are right RedOrDead and no offence meant. I just thought with the season over when they play, they might blood some younger players or give some other players an opportunity to pull on the 1st XV jersey.

It will be great to see these two schools play against each other at full or close to full strength. I didn't realise that this game is being streamed on Clutch nor did I know much about it and so I am glad you brought it to this group's attention. When I worked in Sydney some of my colleagues had their kids at Barker, as well as Cranbrook, Joey's, Scots etc.

I'm going to watch the Barker rugby reel in anticipation if they have one on Youtube or Clutch.

Apologies and I'm looking forward to watching the game on Clutch.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Barker played Marist Ashgrove in 2019. It was a big scoreline by Barker (60+) but both teams were in pre-season and both were only using squads. Not cemented 1st XV teams. Pleasure watching Floyd Aubrey play footy. The way he moves is ridiculous.
It was a bit closer than that against Ashgrove, they did touch up Pat's though;

Ali Barber said:
Sydney School Barker College was to play St Patrick's last week - Does anyone know the score. I heard a cricket score but can't verify.
I believe Barker play MCA this week which seems a bit odd considering how close to Easter it is and who will be available in the middle of holidays.
It was a cricket score alright 85-5 to Barker. Today’s game verses MCA was a lot tighter. The two sides were evenly matched. Barker ended up running away with it in the final quarter 36-17 but the score line didn’t reflect the game. Both Barker and MCA will be hard to beat in their respective competitions.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
It was a bit closer than that against Ashgrove, they did touch up Pat's though;

It was a cricket score alright 85-5 to Barker. Today’s game verses MCA was a lot tighter. The two sides were evenly matched. Barker ended up running away with it in the final quarter 36-17 but the score line didn’t reflect the game. Both Barker and MCA will be hard to beat in their respective competitions.

Must have mixed up the Pats and MCA score apologies. No harm meant.