• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I said this on another thread, but Richards wouldn't want to risk anymore injuries to his players, especially with Sunnybank this week.

And this is a problem with the selections. It should be the best players or they shouldn't do it.

I also note that Richards wanted Greg Holmes to play in the game too but seeing he played for Aust Barbars on Friday and Sunnybank on Sunday he said no.

I also thought it would have been a good chance for Micheal Berringham to get a run at a higher level.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What if GPS win and Tigers and the Bank draw ?

I think GPS need Easts to win and for Sunnybank not to pick up a bonus point for it to work out for them.

Also worth noting that historically Norths have had the ability to contain Uni better than most teams but I think there is to much on the line for Uni not to win.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Easts in 3rd (67 or 68) Sunnybank in 4th (63) on better Points Diff and GPS out (even if get 5 points and end up on 63). I think. btw it is less than 8 not 7...

Thanks for the correction bentarmrules, but it is actually 7 points or less.

L

League Legend

YOu are bOth right. Good luck tigers today at the bank. a huge effort by 15 possessed men will be needed.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
They went down by about 30, I left early, they never looked like putting pressure on. I assume GPS got the bonus point with their 41 point win. I think that means Easts are out unfourtunatley, first time they've dropped out of the 4 if my memory serves me correct.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank 34 (S Seiuli 2 tries J Schatz B Tapuai B Lucas tries B Lucas pen 3 cons) d Easts 6 (M Brandon 2 pens)

GPS 48 (J-P Smith J Caldeira-Santos M Carpenter D Gorman J Ellis N Davuli B Roberts J Logan tries P Smith 4 cons) d Souths 7 (A Anitema try C Field con)

University of Queensland 53 (M Wade T Kuridrani H Porter L Morahan T Buchanan H Elliot tries I Prior 5 pens 4 cons) d Norths 22 (C Gavidi V Vaki S Vuaca tries J Tia pen 2 cons)

Wests 20 (R Rutledge D Campbell tries B Lainchbury 2 pens 2 cons) d Brothers 17 (N Gendle A Pyers M Felsman tries Dallan Murphy con)

Rugby Gold Coast 27 (A Hollis T Bartley B Evans tries L Evans 2 pens 3 cons) d Sunshine Coast Rugby Union 12

F

feedhimbra

Lots of sick players on and off the field apparently , and ref wasn't helping them

S

Saders07

Lots of sick players on and off the field apparently , and ref wasn't helping them

if you infringe you get penalised and Brothers were lucky not to lose a player for repeated infringments earlier than Gendle in the 70th minute

Deserved win for the Doggies and they took home the Shaw Pilecki cup for the first time in addition to avoiding the wooden spoon

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks Tigerland. Sad day.

What is particularly sad is that Easts had the same number of wins as Uni, the minor premiers, yet couldn't make the finals. Obviously when they lost, they got flogged and that worked against them. Those two losses to Sunnybank really hurt their for and against. The bonus point system can be very cruel but it does serve a great purpose in delivering a first class rugby competition.

It will be interesting to see if Brothers can lift for the finals. Based on recent form you'd have to think it'll be a Uni-Sunnybank grand final this year, but it really has been a season of surprises so let's see. Wouldn't it be great to see the students deliver a premiership In honor of Halley A? Bring on the finals!

O

old school prop

Went out to watch Sunnybank play yesterday, what a spectical it was. They play a great style of rugby like the old randwick. I know there were half a dozen or so Reds players in the team and sometimes the top players don't always stand out but they were great to watch, very clinical.

You have to feel for the Easts players, they were completely out-sized and out-classed.

I have been a fan of Greg Holmes for years and still rate him as one of our country's top props. To watch that kid from Easts stick it out for 80 minutes was hard to watch, showed tremendous courage though. It was a case of the master versus the apprentice! And what a master he was.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Looking forward to the Easts team next year. If they can retain players of this year including Joel, Quirk and others who put their hands up, they will be the team to watch next year. Their nineteen years olds put their hands up and played with spirit and courage and their regulars were very encouraging and supportive. Showed a great team ethos. Here is hoping to an injury free 2012.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ben Mowen will be back at Easts next year I've been told.

Also you're righ about Holmes up against Bermingham, it was hard to watch, but Big Red will learn from it, not many 19 year old tightheads playin premier grade.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sunnybank 34 (S Seiuli 2 tries J Schatz B Tapuai B Lucas tries B Lucas pen 3 cons) d Easts 6 (M Brandon 2 pens)

GPS 48 (J-P Smith J Caldeira-Santos M Carpenter D Gorman J Ellis N Davuli B Roberts J Logan tries P Smith 4 cons) d Souths 7 (A Anitema try C Field con)

University of Queensland 53 (M Wade T Kuridrani H Porter L Morahan T Buchanan H Elliot tries I Prior 5 pens 4 cons) d Norths 22 (C Gavidi V Vaki S Vuaca tries J Tia pen 2 cons)

Wests 20 (R Rutledge D Campbell tries B Lainchbury 2 pens 2 cons) d Brothers 17 (N Gendle A Pyers M Felsman tries Dallan Murphy con)

Rugby Gold Coast 27 (A Hollis T Bartley B Evans tries L Evans 2 pens 3 cons) d Sunshine Coast Rugby Union 12

Not to be too pedantic but it was Shalom Suniula the 5/8 who scored 2 tries, not Shane Seuili, the winger.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Unfortunately the QRU has it wrong then.
I checked with the team manager and it is definitely in the team book as S Suniula.
But I can understand where the error has occurred with 10 and 11 being so close together, and the players having similar sounding names.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well done to Uni on taking out back to back minor premierships. They are in ominous form at the moment putting 50+ points on their opposition in the last three starts. Perhaps the one positive takeaway for the other semi-finalists is that Norths managed to score 22 points against them yesterday. Well done also to GPS for snaffling the 4th position. Quite a young side and I don't know if they'll go further this year but they do have a good nucleus for the future.

So it will be Sunnbank v GPS in the knockout and Uni v Brothers in the Major semi. My money is on Uni and Sunnybank to win those matches, and to be the eventual grand finalists. I still think Sunnybank has the cattle to put Uni to the test, particularly with Ben Lucas back. I heard he had a blinder yesterday.

Pretty cruel end to the season for the Tigers and I'm sure Pat Richards and his boys will be hugely disappointed not to make the four, particularly, as Pauly said, since they won as many games as Uni. Injuries really did cruel them and that loss to Norths a month or so again was pretty telling in the end. Never mind, young team who will definitely bounce back in 2012.

Are the finals being played at Ballymore on Sunday, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.