• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jeez calm down, I assumed they were run in conjunction.

Is anyone heading to Souths vs Sunnybank tonight? Interested to see how this one pans out.
T12 Sorry champ. Did come across a bit agro. I'll swing by Souths on my way home from training and try and write something about it in the coming days.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I am interested to see if uni will field a full strength side against the bulldogs and i am interested to hear the results.

It will be a strong side but I doubt full strength. Few new faces in the uni team stepping up from their champion colts team of last year.

T

tranquility

Did I read yesterday that Daruda just came off contract in Japan, and the Reds had him and Rex Tapuai down at Ballymore during the week as potential backups for the main Reds squad?

If that were the case I would much prefer to pick-up Rex than Scott. One, because we desperately need a back-up 13 which Ben is just not. Also though because from what I have seen Scott is just not that good.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Heavies too powerful for the Dogs tonight. Dogs up at halftime 14-10 but couldn't go on with it. Dogs scrum pretty good (2 tightheads but gave up one) however lineout poor.

Uni looked good in patches but I think were a bit surprised by how competitive/physical Wests were.

Pissed rain in the second half which didn't help things but both teams battled on. Wests scored late to get close but Uni deserved the win.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Heavies too powerful for the Dogs tonight. Dogs up at halftime 14-10 but couldn't go on with it. Dogs scrum pretty good (2 tightheads but gave up one) however lineout poor.

Uni looked good in patches but I think were a bit surprised by how competitive/physical Wests were.

Pissed rain in the second half which didn't help things but both teams battled on. Wests scored late to get close but Uni deserved the win.

Any stand out players from both sides

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Only saw the last 50 mins of the game but

Wests:
Front three very good but Lee the hooker let himself down with his lineout throwing. Genia good at 9. Tough night for anyone out wider

Uni:
Backrow were strong and dominated Wests in the second half. George Moresu on the left wing looks like a goer. On a dry track he'll do damage.
Uni #10 controlled things pretty well and slotted a sweet droppie with 15 to go.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Souths with the first upset of the season! Good to see Wests push Uni aswell.

George Morseu old St Peters Lutheran boy who came down from north (Possibly PNG?) lightning quick and agile. Played against him at schoolboy level and he almost single handedly beat my side that day. Good talent.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Would it cause you pain to see a young kid get a go just because he is from Uni or has Con done something to you personally?

Con Foley's Dad is it? no i feel con is a very good player a terrible person obvsiously because he plays for uni but a good player. It pains me cause i have always felt that Con is a player who has benefited more out of situation than potential/raw talent however i do recognise his hardwork but i feel their are a plethora of players who when they left school could have done just as well if they had been in the position Con was. Con is the little engine that could and shows what hard work and playing for a club like uni can do. Also it also would pain me cause i wouldn't want to here his "no 1" fan shouting every reds game

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Agree Thiery! Every single time I watched/played against him all you could hear is his number #1 fan. Not goin to take away his ability as a player though, must be doing something right.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Drew Mitchell's mum was like that whe Drew was in Colts too. Every time he got the ball you'd hear "GO DREW". Gotta love parents, hey. :)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Has anyone heard of any movements regarding Nemani Nadolo in the Brisbane club scene this year? (For those who don't know he was a rising star in Aus rugby playing Junior World Cup and was contracted with the Tahs but ended up going overseas due to various reasons). I'm sure I saw him around Brissy on the weekend and a friend of mine said he was playing for GPS but I haven't heard any indication of that.

If he is playing in Brisbane this season it would be a major coup for whichever club he's joined, a 120kg winger is not easy to stop! I seem to recall him having ties to both Brothers and Sunnybank?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He's back in town during the off season in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if he was training at GPS as he has a lot of mates there, might even have a run.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Con Foley's Dad is it? no i feel con is a very good player a terrible person obvsiously because he plays for uni but a good player. It pains me cause i have always felt that Con is a player who has benefited more out of situation than potential/raw talent however i do recognise his hardwork but i feel their are a plethora of players who when they left school could have done just as well if they had been in the position Con was. Con is the little engine that could and shows what hard work and playing for a club like uni can do. Also it also would pain me cause i wouldn't want to here his "no 1" fan shouting every reds game
Firstly I'll say that I know Con, I coached him at Uni a couple of years ago.
I disagree with your statement about him being in the right situation and not having potential or raw talent. I will agree with you though on the point about his hardwork. That it something that doesn't get recognised enough these days it seems.
Con has a huge amount of talent and is one of the best players I've ever coached at the breakdown. The other thing he has is the ability to listen and understand what the coaches want, another dying skill. He is a really coachable player and that will get guys places.
Lots of guys will be schoolboy stars based on natural talent alone but it is the guys who are willing to put in the hour and hours of hard work that will succeed in life. Con went and played at Uni and push players out of the Premiership winning team. To me that sound like he must have some talent and took a bit of a risk.
As for your issue with his Dad, get over yourself. Parents make a lot of sacrifices for their kids and if the worst thing he does is enjoy his success and encourage him then I think he's doing a pretty good job.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I never said he had no potential or Raw talent i just said I have thought over the last 2 years there has been players with more. My question was would he be as succesful if he had not been gifted opportunities with coaches like yourself? Which is a legitimate question would Con have been as succesful say if he went Geeps or Brothers......also Jets you need to relax on the Dad comment all i mean by that is surely he can change up his catchphrase as i have always found it humerous that he says and sounds the exact same with each cheer as i am sure Tigerland can attest to.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
And I was trying to get across the point that potential or raw talent isn't enough to make it as a professional rugby player. Con has the work ethic and mindset required. As for the coaching he has received, it's available for anyone that wants it. Clubs don't chase people away. Any of the other guys that you have hinted at have the opportunity to join these clubs and receive this coaching, me aside (I'm pretty exclusive ;))

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Back to the rugby. I went and watched Souths v Sunnybank on Tuesday night. While it wasn't the most entertaining game to watch it was a great example of a team playing to the conditions and their strengths to win a game. Souths kicked well to established good field position and attacked the breakdown with great vigour. Sunnybank were let down with their body position going into contact and turned over a heap of ball.
Souths will trouble a lot of teams this year if they can build on this performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.