• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
All clubs provide some sort of incentive to players wether it be money, job, car or other things it goes on.

imagine the the dressing room if some players were paid to play and some had to pay.
Imagine if a player didn't put in 100% for his team. The Reds seem to go ok and some players are on at least 4 times as much money as others. If you deserve the payment you will get it. Players all have different motivations to why they play and in most cases money doesn't really come into it.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
He was to have to have a position there but for the very reasons of conflict between club and academy he did not end up at Ballymore coaching the NA.
Have you ever looked at the positions of the players who went to Easts and that they might have sort out Pat's coaching.

UJ, Cox brothers, Shannon Walker - I see your argument!

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Plus boys have moved to Brisbane to attend Uni and be closer to trainings, which I would imagine would be early mornings due to Uni/work/club training commitments. So it makes sense that lads like Enever, Stolberg, Cox boys, Bermingham to name a few to gravitate to the same club after forging friendships in the Academy and such like. These boys are all from out of Brisbane areas.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
But on a serious note every club gives players some sort of leg up I know Norths help players get positions as boarding house masters at Ashgrove which is a good idea and I think ok as it helps it gives young lads who can't afford rent or college a break. I think stuff like that is okay but I have heard other incentive stories that if true a jaw dropping. Story i heard was one club was offering $450 per premier grade game.....impossible to say no to. Stuff like this makes me a little bit upset but its the nature of sport I guess and if we as a a sport are to fight the drain to Q-Cup sometimes things like this are necessary. Although this sort of thing in years gone by has created an almost English premier league like competition where it is the same four clubs battling it out for the top spot, i think this year has marked a real turn around in which the whole competition has been much more even and competitive. one only needs to look at the points table and results that have occurred this season (souths beating Easts, West beating Brothers & GPS) to realise that the comp is only getting stronger and that sometimes good coaching is what is needed to garner success and not money. Admittedly the coastal clubs are significantly weaker but they are both young teams in the middle of rebuilding and the gap has widened with the inclusion of super 15 players to the tail end of the season (i still advocate a sharing system for reds players system). but I think 2013 will be an even bigger and better year for premier rugby and the comp is definitely as a whole on the up.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
$450 a game, handy pay for 80minutes on a Saturday arvo. Not many clubs would be able to afford that though I'd imagine.

I think that's just the way it is going now, incentives are going to be a part of it but it does sometimes have plus sides, look at Wests for example, most of their success this year has come from players who've been at the club for while now (?). Brothers have built a core team for about three years now, they don't seem to want any new players (ie: Daruda and Postal in reserve grade).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Sunny Coast will improve next year. They seem to have done a lot of work off the field paying off debts and getting into a good financial position. This should give the organisation more time to focus on the rugby side of things for the future.

In the lower grades I think Redlands will be back in subbies next year. It's reported that they had 5 players show up for the 1st grade game against Uni on the weekend and no one for the 2nd grade game. Disappointing considering they managed 4 tries against Norths a few weeks ago and had their closest loss to an in form South team recently.

Logan, who were pushing for a finals spot, also forfeited their game against Souths on Tuesday night and basically gave up on playing finals footy.. If they are serious about playing in Premier rugby then they aren't going about it the right way. They have a great facility down at Meakin Park but it's a good look. With the lack of success of their lower grades they seem to be struggling a bit too.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Jets I can't see a team, such as Redlands and logan, stepping up to prem grade without a GPS school near by. They both have a couple of Private schools that play rugby, but not at that level or with that interest as GPS. Without that sustained input of talent those clubs will have some good years amongst mostly bad.

I think it is a good idea to drop Redlands to Subbies until they rebuild their club culture. No one wants to play at a club that has no chance of winning a game.

Is there anyone in Subbies putting their hands up? Ipswich maybe? The sad thing is Wynnum, which is just down the road from Redlands is enjoying dominating in sub-districts.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
ECA ... A far bigger sleeping giant then a GPS school nearby is the endless amount of New Zealanders moving to Brisbane in record numbers & a lot of them setting up shop in the Logan area (cheaper house prices)

Logan has teams in all 5 grades & even a Friday night team in the Normanby Cup... Now if the QRU had the balls to show the Logan City Saints the respect they deserve & put them in Premier grade (Which subsequently would have them in Premier Colts) then all these budding athletes would have an opportunity to play at their local club & not go play for a premier grade club in southern suburbs of Brisbane because all they wanna do is advance their skills & play against the best competition possible.

keeping it real

Bob McCowan (2)
Jets I can't see a team, such as Redlands and logan, stepping up to prem grade without a GPS school near by. They both have a couple of Private schools that play rugby, but not at that level or with that interest as GPS. Without that sustained input of talent those clubs will have some good years amongst mostly bad.

I think it is a good idea to drop Redlands to Subbies until they rebuild their club culture. No one wants to play at a club that has no chance of winning a game.

Is there anyone in Subbies putting their hands up? Ipswich maybe? The sad thing is Wynnum, which is just down the road from Redlands is enjoying dominating in sub-districts.

Wynnum is hardly dominating Subbies. This is the first year for a number of years they are assured of making the finals in Barber. Ipswich are not running a colts team this year. There are no subbies clubs running a colts team. There are rumours of Caboolture coming back into Subbies from the Sunshine Coast competition.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Ipswich would probably be the ones to step up they field 3 teams most years and imagine if they went up they would get an influx of players form Goodna and Springfield. Colts for them would be a problem as most kids from St. Edmunds & Grammar who play firsts would either head to brisbane for prem colts or play league for jets or a local team.
Also didn't Logan make the step up a few years ago and then go running back down?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Logan haven't played higher than 1st grade. My issue is that if they are keen to move up to Premier then they shouldn't be forfeiting for their top team, especially when they were a shot of making the finals.

Also I would prefer to see Ipswich or a Darling Downs team in Premier as they are more likely provide an opportunity for players in an area that is currently not serviced by a Premier Club.

G

GPS fan

$450 a game, handy pay for 80minutes on a Saturday arvo. Not many clubs would be able to afford that though I'd imagine.

I think that's just the way it is going now, incentives are going to be a part of it but it does sometimes have plus sides, look at Wests for example, most of their success this year has come from players who've been at the club for while now (?). Brothers have built a core team for about three years now, they don't seem to want any new players (ie: Daruda and Postal in reserve grade).

Without wanting to get involved in this "are they aren't they paid" debate if a player is paid $450 a game it is not simply for an 80 minute game is it. There are training commitments transport costs to training etc etc...

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Logan haven't played higher than 1st grade. My issue is that if they are keen to move up to Premier then they shouldn't be forfeiting for their top team, especially when they were a shot of making the finals.

Also I would prefer to see Ipswich or a Darling Downs team in Premier as they are more likely provide an opportunity for players in an area that is currently not serviced by a Premier Club.

Most Ipswich players go to Wests or Sunnybank and a majority of IGS players go to sunnybank.

Darling Downs is realistically unviable as the area contained in that district is geographically to big maybe a toowoomba team though then players can travel as they please

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would think a Downs team based out of Toowomba would be good. They could also play a couple of games a season in different towns too.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
But what towns? When you think about it some of the key towns of darling downs are Toowoomba, Dalby, Goondiwindi, Nanango, Condamine. Stanthorpe & maybe could stretch in Warwick ( geographically outside darling downs but maybe a another population to pull from)
Toowoomba would be the most central place but its still a fair haul to places like Nanango and Goondiwindi not something you would want to do up to three times a week.
I would completely move away form calling it darling downs and just call it Toowoomba something and if players want to make the trek its up to them but i would keep it separate to the downs rugby rep team.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
What are you talking about, Warwick is halfway between Toowoomba & Stanthorpe. I believe it has a well run Rugby club to. Nanango is the big stretch from the other towns you name.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Sorry i had a blip for a moment i though south downs wasnt considered part of darling downs. But condamine and goondiwindi arent really a stones throw away

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sorry i had a blip for a moment i though south downs wasnt considered part of darling downs. But condamine and goondiwindi arent really a stones throw away

I honestly don't see the problem with a team representing a wide catchment area TD. Sure not alot of people from Weipa make it to Suncorp to watch the Reds every week doesn't mean they shouldn't be represented by the Reds. NQ Cowboys have fans from vast distances that make it to a few games or none but still support them. It's more about representing players who have come from that area. So they may reside in Toowoomba but are from further out west.

I think it has merrit if there was enough money and resources to support it from QRU. But Australian Rugby is doing everything it can to avoid duplication in its structures, streamlining everything, rather then regional initiatives. Not saying I agree or disagree, you do the best you can with what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.