• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Well sorry to sling Mud on QC (Quade Cooper) but if the order came from Link/Reds brass then IMO it's the wrong call.

Hopefully Quade & CFS are playing (allowed to play) this weekend cause Match Fitness will be crucial against the Warratahs.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm guessing this was the same for Ed Quirk and Anthony Fainga'a, who were both running the water on the weekend (which was great to see).

On the GPS vs Easts game, it was a cracker. Gutted as an Easts fan though, we had that game but Jeeps turned it up about 20 gears in the second half.

Again, Toua was the best for Easts, who are scoring some brilliant back line tries. Hard for me to pinpoint one GPS player as I tend to focus on Easts play, but I can say Kerivi (?) clearly outplayed Toby White.

Frisby and Samo were typically hot and cold.

With Souths winning again, the top four will go down to the wire. I'm starting to stress Easts could suffer at the end like last year. However no excuses this time, lots of depth and no injuries (touch wood).

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm guessing this was the same for Ed Quirk and Anthony Fainga'a, who were both running the water on the weekend (which was great to see).

On the GPS vs Easts game, it was a cracker. Gutted as an Easts fan though, we had that game but Jeeps turned it up about 20 gears in the second half.

Again, Toua was the best for Easts, who are scoring some brilliant back line tries. Hard for me to pinpoint one GPS player as I tend to focus on Easts play, but I can say Kerivi (?) clearly outplayed Toby White.

Frisby and Samo were typically hot and cold.

With Souths winning again, the top four will go down to the wire. I'm starting to stress Easts could suffer at the end like last year. However no excuses this time, lots of depth and no injuries (touch wood).

Agreed it was a cracking game. Those Easts boys out wide have some serious wheels!! I had to leave with 10-12 minutes to go, just after Toua scored his try and Easts went 8 points up and I thought they were looking the goods. To my surprise I read the next days GPS got up. It's not the first time they have come home with a wet sail. Shane Arnold must have them seriously fit this year

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Went down to watch a bit of the Easts game as the Filth were away. One of the best game I've seen all year! Easts young flanker nearly killed Rod Davies with a great hit! Honestly thought Easts were the better side, but Uni didn't give up even with 13 men of the field at one stage. Overall this pushes both teams out of the four I believe. And mighty Brethren have a high-flying Souths team next week, with should be a top contest!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You're right about Gunn almost killing Rocket, he almost killed the other winger at one point as well. Gunny is a fucking talent, everytime he tears the house down.

The game was a bit stop start. Easts should be disappointed, they let in two very soft tries. Although credit to Uni for their defence when they were with 14 for about 20mins (13 at one point).

Both teams did not look like premiership contenders. For the last 10mins it was error after error as neither side took their chances to win the game.

I believe this also pushes both Souths ahead of the two sides, and Sunnybank only 2 points off. It's going to be a rough ride home for the tigers. Fortunately we still have to play the Coast teams.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Watch the Dragons play on Saturday. If they want to make the finals they are going to want to improve a lot from this outing. I thought Ben Meehan was good though. Was a threat with ball in hand and set up a great try when the defence had no idea what he was doing. Miles McCaffery was also very good and worked hard at the breakdown.
Jake McIntyre put up a fantastic cross field kick for Taniela Tuivanuavou to score. If only the Wallabies could be this accurate with their kicks.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I must say I'm loving watching the Heritage Round videos being put out by the QRU. Really gives an insight into the Clubs in a few minutes. Well done.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
TheBigDog What happened with Mitchell Wade last week?

Wests vs GPS stopped for 5 minutes whilst Mitchell received medical treatment, he then left the field what looks like he was clutching his forearm, shoulder or ribs?!?!?!... but an ambulance then turned up for him in the 2nd half? Just curious as to what kind of injury he sustained???

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You're right about Gunn almost killing Rocket, he almost killed the other winger at one point as well. Gunny is a fucking talent, everytime he tears the house down.

He played Aus Schools last year didn't he?

That is a bloody quick elevation to Prem Grade, is he even 18?

I find it interesting that Conor Mitchell (Uni) is talked about in similar high regards, I had a feeling that Churchie back row (2011) had something special.

As a member who follows schoolboys footy but rarely gets the opportunity to see premier games it is encouraging to see such familiar names tasting such success at higher levels. Sam Greene has a boot I will never forget. He and Jonah Placid must be on the Reds radar now, you'd think that they have shown a lot more than UJ...
As for Meehan, I rated him back in the 16's but he wasn't impressive in his senior year at BSHS, Scotty Gale far outplayed him in those days but its fairly evident just from here that perhaps the tides have changed. Then again from what I saw of the U/20's WC he hadn't changed too much, maybe that's too harsh. I'd be curious to see the development of the AIC boy, Scott Malolua (sp?) he was exceptional at Marist and IMO better than those two.

I wonder if Jake McIntyre will stick around in QLD, if i remember correctly he came from down south and I would suspect they will want him back. A kid who defied the odds and took the non-GPS path to Aus Schools.

Good to see Toua finding some form, always had bucket loads of potential. His days at the Reds are numbered if he can't stay fit next year. Has he developed a satisfactory kicking game yet? Always thought he was very dangerous running the ball back but just lacked the kicking skills to make S15, sort of similar mould to a certain K.Beale without the playmaking ability.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
A much needed win for Easts today against Sunnybank at Tigerland, 25 to 18. Sunnybank will be wondering how the hell they didn't come away with the win, as they seemed to control the game for 90% of the time. Easts defence was, for the most part, outstanding which is just as well because they needed to do an awful lot of it. They absorbed an enormous amount of pressure in the first half. I'd love to know Jack Mullins' tackle count - he didn't stop tackling all game. The Sunnybank forwards were an impressive well-drilled unit and appeared to be technically superior although Easts had their measure in the lineouts. The 'Bank No 3 will regret his decision to make an illegal tackle on Placid early in the game as Placid scored Easts first try while that prop was in the bin.
All in all it was a very exciting and entertaining game and Easts will be very happy to take the points to help secure their position in the top 4.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Agree with what Pauly has said there.

Thought it was a pretty good game, great crowd as well. For the second week in a row the Tigers have had make a shitload of tackles, and for the most part have done very well. Still a few soft tries get let in.

I thought Toby White was back to his best, and Michael Stollberg worked his arse off again (seriously someone needs to give him some sort of contract).

Adam Wallace-Harrison was great for the Bank, whilst Meehan gave Mullins a hard time on a few occasions.

Easts will feel confident after that win as it makes the run home a lot easier. With the two coast sides coming up it means you'd be expecting 10 points from those two games, then we have Brothers which should, as per usual draw a big crowd. Then we finish off with Wests.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tigerland brings up a good point...the end of season draw. Easts have the easiest run home with only one real challenge. However, something tells me that Uni could miss out on the 4. Souths are a very strong, solid and tough side, with their forward pack being a nuisance at the break-down. My top 4 is going to be
1. Bros
2. GPS
3. Easts
4. Souths/Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.