• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's great news for GC rugby and Premier Grade Rugby too. I am extremely jealous of what could come from this. But it will definitely strengthen the comp.

Someone did propose the idea of the national rugby comp being based on a college system (universities) in the 3rd tier thread, maybe it has merit. We have already seen Canberra University linking with ACT Brumbies.

I think the Bond Vice Chancellor was more hinting at the fact that they could offer scholarships to players to play in the QLD Rugby competition as opposed to a national university championship.

T

TOCC

No I think they are looking at it nationally, this would tie in with the RUPA proposal in The Australian today about a national university competition.. click here

Hopefully this agreement with Bond saves the finances of Gold Coast Rugby, I know they were in a very precarious state at the end of last year and the QRU was looking at moving in and taking control.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
No I think they are looking at it nationally, this would tie in with the RUPA proposal in The Australian today about a national university competition.. click here

Hopefully this agreement with Bond saves the finances of Gold Coast Rugby, I know they were in a very precarious state at the end of last year and the QRU was looking at moving in and taking control.

Ha yeah well I totally would of believed East Coast Aces logic had this article been yesterdays news;)

The main issue is

The sticking point will be the fear of the other Premier Rugby clubs that the current Sydney and Brisbane premiers, Sydney University and the University of Queensland, will grow even more powerful because the best footballers with aspirations of playing professional rugby will gravitate towards them.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
In order to start a national University competition, you would have to develop comps within your own state, and then have a college football like system of conferences. So for Queensland, the following teams would be in the "conference"
- University of QLD
- QUT
- ACU
- Bond University
- University of Sunshine Coast
- Griffith
- James Cook
- University of Southern QLD
Etc

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So which grounds will be affected by the rainfall?

I Imagine Wests is Ok but training should be cancelled this week, anyone know about Norths? Is that creek nearby connected to Kedron Brook???

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I believe the GC Breakers are trying to field a 1st grade team as well as a Premier team this year. Apparently Redlands have pulled out and are headed back to Subbies. The comp needs another 1st grade team but not sure if it will work. I reffed a few of their games many years ago and they were competitive but they found it difficult to attract players to travel to Brisbane every 2nd week, particularly when results were going against them.
And what will that do to the Gold Coast Comp which has been struggling at times anyway?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
G'day Rugby Lovers

I heard lock Ed O'Donoghue is back in Brisbane from England. Does anyone have anyword on which club he is playing at this year?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm guessing Big Ed will end up back at Wests. His got a few mates there and his former alma marter Rosaile was a feeder school for the Dogs.

I'd be shocked if he played elsewhere.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I doubt he'd get a run at Uni, such is their depth. I think Wests is where he'll go. They are on the rise and he would take on a role as a leader.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
As good as chapman and buchannan are for uni i doubt they would be a better selection than O'Donaghue........

He will be at wests as he has alot of friends kickign down at sylvan road.

On the matter of uni i hear there more experienced depth has left this year.....

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah from what I hear there will be a few former Red Heavies at the Kennel in 2013.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
TD - you're right - Uni has lost some (more?) experienced players this year.

Although we have reduced our player turnover a LOT over the past five years (compared to the previous 10yrs) it's still a fact of life that players finish Uni and move away, or move on to other clubs. It seems many of our graduating engineers are working in the mines now so I expect Emerald's team this year to be very competitive...;)

It's always happened and it will continue to happen. While it's disappointing to lose players who you've seen scantily-clad/not clad at rude kit nights it does make way for the graduating Colts to have a run in grades (whether in fourth grade or in Premier grade). Players leave for a million reasons, and I'm personally just glad to see most of them still playing rugby wherever they play.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
TD - you're right - Uni has lost some (more?) experienced players this year.

Although we have reduced our player turnover a LOT over the past five years (compared to the previous 10yrs) it's still a fact of life that players finish Uni and move away, or move on to other clubs. It seems many of our graduating engineers are working in the mines now so I expect Emerald's team this year to be very competitive.;)

It's always happened and it will continue to happen. While it's disappointing to lose players who you've seen scantily-clad/not clad at rude kit nights it does make way for the graduating Colts to have a run in grades (whether in fourth grade or in Premier grade). Players leave for a million reasons, and I'm personally just glad to see most of them still playing rugby wherever they play.

Too right Cat, but to further rub salt into the wounds from what my sources are telling me a fair few of those graduating colts are jumping ship as well.

Which makes me wonder if Uni's regular trump card which is their depth may be missing this year

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think i cam off sounding more dickish than i wanted to there.

But the most interesting facts i have heard is that the bretheren dynasty of consecutive top four appearances is over....allegedy a big exodus has taken place

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I haven't been around Uni to verify but from what I understand we will be down a few of the older heads this year.
With Preocanin (back to the UK) Chapman (Sydney for work) Geldard (bush) gone and with Reiser and Browning most likely away with Aussie 20's for a good chunk, lock seems to be the biggest hole needed to be filled.
While Mosey will be missed around the club as he was a well liked member, his return home to the doggies wont cause to many concerns with Parker and JJ Taulagi from colts raring to step up as well as some other very good 2012 1st graders in Pincus, Leeson, Hess ect
As for Wade he is a very good player but so is Lyall Fidow (some would argue Fidow is the better hooker) and Campbell Wakley (coming up from colts) has the potential to be better then both in a few years if he chooses hooker over loosehead

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Nathan Sharpe return to he heavies come mid season. Call it a pipe dream (pipe nightmare for 9 other clubs)

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
My logic about that is sharpe is a rugby addict. If he was living back in Brisbane he might find the appeal if playing on a less gruelig schedule compared to what he was doing a year ago with force and wallaby commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.