• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So a try was scored then.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Premier
University of Queensland 46 (H Parker 3 tries J Owen T Tela T Pincus J Taulagi tries T Pincus pen 4 cons) d Sunnybank 41 (F Fotuakia N Ah Wong D Taumata P Lee D Rutledge D Tusitala M Pouhila T Lucas 2 cons D Taumata con)
GPS 32 (P Kite N Zangari S Tela S Malolna tries A Tuqiri pen 3 cons) d Gold Coast Breakers 22 (L Evans V Buatava 3 dropped goals L Evans 2 pens con)
Brothers 51 (C Freney M Felsman 2 tries M Bond L Creighton tries D Murphy 3 pens 6 cons) d Wests 3 (S Greene pen)
Easts 45 (M Beeston 2 tries A Ready M Stolberg S Cox A Parker tries M Brandon pen 4 cons U Seuteni con S Cox con) Norths 22 (V Mataitini 2 tries T Johnson try S Slade pen 2 cons)
Sunshine Coast Rugby Union v Souths - late kick off

Goal kicking for the Dragons T Lucas????

Ted? Thomas? Timothy???

I'm guessing this is merely a typo. A 3rd Lucas would be hard to deal with in clubland.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Any thoughts on the gps v breakers game ?
Hard to watch today with the old Breakers guru. It was a very willing game of footy! Every time GPS threatened to break away score wise something happened that allowed the Breakers to edge closer to their opposition. They were their own worst enemies getting themselves in a position to secure a hard earned bonus point only to give away a penalty in front of the sticks in the last play of the game! Only gets better next week hosting a hungry Uni side

guru13

Frank Nicholson (4)
thank-you for that. sounds as if there are some positive signs for the season ahead.
uni will be a real test but new look facilities at bond provide for good viewing.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I went out to watch Uni play Sunnybank yesterday. It was a highly entertaining game, although I had to leave early so missed the last 25 minutes which must have been great to watch because when I left Uni were up 39-17 and Sunnybank fought back to close to 41-46 by the end.

The match was certainly played at a fast and furious pace.

Sunnybank were dominant through their forwards with Murday, AWH and Ah Wong all prominent. Uni's ruck defence was poor and they seemed unable to hold the Sunnybank forwards. However, Uni's backline was even more dominant and it seemed every time they moved the ball wide they broke through. Parker and Leeson were both very good but Taulagi at #15 was simply outstanding.

For some reason Sunnybank started trying to play like Uni and move the ball wide. Their backs were performing quite well but that meant they took the ball away from their forwards where they were dominating.

With seven tries scored each both coaches will no doubt be allocating plenty of time this week to defence.

Based on yesterday's match both teams will be right up at the pointy end again this year.

Uni have Gold Coast next week where we could see a cricket score and Sunnybank host Brothers, which will be one heck of a match - that's where I'll be next week.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I understand that Sunnybank had claims for a match winning penalty try denied in the last minute when they were driving a maul 2-3 metres out from the line, moving forward and despite repeated warnings Uni collapsed the maul. Penalty was awarded but no card or penalty try. Anyone see the incident and have a view?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My thoughts pretty much mirror Crusher on the GPS v Breakers game. Gps looked the better team throughout the contest but the Gold Coast were in no way totally outclassed. Some soft defense let in a few of Gps tries with easy one on one tackles being missed so if those had stuck it may have been a much closer game. Both teams have plenty of positives to take from the game.

On a side note the new 'emerald' colored kits that GPS are playing in look pretty good, looks like they have a new kit sponsor Fi-Ta. Haven't heard of them before but the players I spoke to said its good stuff.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
My thoughts pretty much mirror Crusher on the GPS v Breakers game. Gps looked the better team throughout the contest but the Gold Coast were in no way totally outclassed. Some soft defense let in a few of Gps tries with easy one on one tackles being missed so if those had stuck it may have been a much closer game. Both teams have plenty of positives to take from the game.

On a side note the new 'emerald' colored kits that GPS are playing in look pretty good, looks like they have a new kit sponsor Fi-Ta. Haven't heard of them before but the players I spoke to said its good stuff.

Is there going to be any issues going forward with a GPS emerald kit when you play against Sunnybanks unique green?

I remember in 2009 when Wests & their slime green jerseys took a visit to Oldmac oval & the amount of countless turnovers in broken play when players were passing the ball to trailing defenders which they must of had just out of their peripheral vision.

But low & behold the mighty Dragons ran out in the 2nd half rocking a white and green strike and the pointless turnovers seem to cease.

Actually I believe all Premier grade clubs should have a alternate strip for this very reason. Wests v Easts was an absolute eyesoar a few years back when there was 30 men out on the field with gold stripe jerseys. 15 players had green stripes the other 15 had blue stripes!

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Not a great start for the Dogs, but only early in season, so only one way to go from here. There was many positives to come out of the game, and a pretty big week for the Premier team (Phil Mooney announced his move to Japan) and Pat Byron taking over the reigns, this all may have had an affect on the players. But no excuses we will see what Wests can do in the upcoming games. Still a little worried at the prospect of the referees and touch judges this year, the first play of the game Sam Greene kicked the ball out on the full only for it to smash into the advertising, however then Brothers took a quick lineout and scored in the first minute. If someone can remind me of the rules, if the ball touches a person or object the quick lineout is not allowed? From where i was spectacting the ball seemed to bounced back off the advertising into a Brothers players hand. I was guessing this was why majority of the Wests players were headed to the centre of the field for a scrum, and also so was 12 of the Brothers players. Very interesting and although very early in the game does make a difference. If i am incorrect on this rule someone let me know.

Also i thought Sam Greene went okay for first "real" game in Premier Rugby. Wests had no possession and forwards didnt seem to get the go forward to give him enough time to show his magic. I believe this will come, hopefully as soon as next week. From the sidelines it seemed the Brothers players had all intention of making it a very difficult day at the office for Greene.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can't see there being any issues SouthernX, the design itself is virtually the same as years gone by with the stripes so it is still a unique patter color scheme.

I think a few clubs do have alternate strips available, obviously there are the charity round pink styled ones and I recall a few years ago gps had two teams playing in the 4th grade comp so brought out a special white playing kit to differentiate between the sides which would still be floating around. Also in a trial match this year when uni prems had a squad of what seemed like 50 they had an alternate blue (I think) jersey that the second half side all wore.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not a great start for the Dogs, but only early in season, so only one way to go from here. There was many positives to come out of the game, and a pretty big week for the Premier team (Phil Mooney announced his move to Japan) and Pat Byron taking over the reigns, this all may have had an affect on the players. But no excuses we will see what Wests can do in the upcoming games. Still a little worried at the prospect of the referees and touch judges this year, the first play of the game Sam Greene kicked the ball out on the full only for it to smash into the advertising, however then Brothers took a quick lineout and scored in the first minute. If someone can remind me of the rules, if the ball touches a person or object the quick lineout is not allowed? From where i was spectacting the ball seemed to bounced back off the advertising into a Brothers players hand. I was guessing this was why majority of the Wests players were headed to the centre of the field for a scrum, and also so was 12 of the Brothers players. Very interesting and although very early in the game does make a difference. If i am incorrect on this rule someone let me know.

(d) For a quick throw-in, the player must use the ball that went into touch. A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch. The same team throws into the lineout.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hi Guys. I have a request from all club rugby stalwarts. If you go to a match could you take a couple of photos and post them here. We are really struggling for graphics for our posts and we need them to complete the articles and promote Bris Premier Rugby.
Thanks
Sully

Edit: Phone photo's are fine. If you want to go all pro don't let me stop you but just getting out a smart phone and taking a few shots would be great.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Now isn't that just beautiful??
Filth numba 1.PNG

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

Also i thought Sam Greene went okay for first "real" game in Premier Rugby. Wests had no possession and forwards didnt seem to get the go forward to give him enough time to show his magic. I believe this will come, hopefully as soon as next week. From the sidelines it seemed the Brothers players had all intention of making it a very difficult day at the office for Greene.

Technically a quick lineout should not have been allowed.

Whoever the ref was he made some pretty dubious decisions, specifically at scrum time.

I dont think the dogs would have won the game but the ref made it very hard to give them a chance.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't like blaming the refs, I just hope that on Home fixtures we get the same treatment on 50-50 calls that officials are historically going to award the home team.

Full credit to Brothers, thanks very much for the reality check.

SeaEagles

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't like blaming the refs, I just hope that on Home fixtures we get the same treatment on 50-50 calls that officials are historically going to award the home team.

Full credit to Brothers, thanks very much for the reality check.

I agree. Brothers were super slick. The two centres (but particularly Bond at OC), were very good. Murphy (doing his best Crusty impression), was very good and moved the ball with speed. He did his best to rattle young Greene as well, but I think Greene showed he has plenty of potential if he doesn't rush his options.

The Dogs really got under the skin of the Brethren at times and had a significant advantage in the scrum and in tight. Why the Dogs didn't play more ball through the middle I'm not sure. When they did they rattled them.

All in all Brothers showed they are top 3 material and they executed very well. They will be one of the faster teams in the competition, but through the middle is the way to upset the blue and white apple cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.