• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/Reds/FutureReds/Profile/tabid/1178/playerid/13/Default.aspx

Tevita went to Uni after having already played for Fiji U20's so I don't think Uni should be claiming too much credit!
That's incorrect. T came to Uni in 2009 from Corinda state high after playing some junior footy with souths. His first year he played half prem colts and half in prems.
The following year (still a colt) he played for Fiji under 20's and helped Uni win the premiership on the wing. In his third year at the club he played 7's and under 20's for Aus.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Scott Higginbotham is a perfect example as we'll, he was a skinny surfy kid, with photos of Kelly Slater on his walls and blonde tipped hair, potentially leaning towards a career in roller skating prior to making his way to the Kennel where he was turned into a Wallaby.

"Details in the above extract of Scott Higginbothams childhood and potential career paths may not be actual facts"

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There's a pot of money that the ARU currently use on player development that may be directed to this comp. What do they call it again???

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Doesn't Tevita Kuridrani play for Jeeps? I've always wondered why Horwill is tied up with Uni? I honestly thought he played for Wests. I'm definitely not shit stirring, just interested if someone could clarify?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Kirisi/Chris Kuridrani plays for GPS. Tevita played as Red Heavy said. Possibly also some confusion with Junior Rasolea who played alongside T in Colts for Uni then went to GPS.

Kev is at Uni after playing Colts alongside 5 or 6 of his best mates from school (BBC), and I can't see him going anywhere. I also can't see him playing too many club games from here, though. I think he & Chib played Wests Juniors but as discussed many many times elsewhere on these forums, the link between Junior & Senior clubs isn't as strong as it's sometimes made out to be.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Definetly think franchise would be the way to go. It'd be unfair on players who have a cracking season not in a top 4 club miss out due to not playing for the right club.

Could we see:

Team 1: Brothers, GPS, Norths
Team 2: Uni, Wests, Easts
Team 3: Sunnybank, Souths, Gold Coast

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
rugbywatch - whos going to fund those franchise setups though? I don't think Uni would like it very much if they had to front 60% of the costs because West and Easts aren't as financial as them and as I said in an earlier post, my gut tells me the ARU won't exactly be too thrilled to chuck their borrowed dollars into a system which has already failed once.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
There is always going to be losers in whatever structure is implimented.

If they go with just normal clubs, it's going to see heaps of players move to clubs who are going to be in that national comp (top 3).

However the franchise format would see financial issues and it would be more difficult to establish

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Surely the ARU wouldn’t set something like this up and then say "Right, hands up, who is in? It will cost you $X".......???

Like NSW Cup, QLD Cup league, these games need exposure. TV coverage, some big sponsors, backing from the ARU and a chance to develop into a proper 'next level' competition. I for one would certainly head down to GPS, Brothers or Norths with my family to watch my North Brisbane franchise play against Sydney or Melbourne’s best... or even the best of Central Brisbane or South Brisbane. And for away games, I’d be planted firmly on the couch watching them as well. Fox? Ten? ABC?

Like any investment, there is risk.... the key is to try and stick it out during the initial teething phase and not throw the toys out of the cot and say "this isn’t working!!"

I suppose on the other side of the coin, one way of doing it is saying "each club within the franchise must provide/raise e.g. $XXk, either through sponsorship or otherwise" to assist in the running of the comp? ARU top the costs up initially. Then over time this amount increases. ARU's input decreases.

OR it is just a completely separate thing.... like the e.g. Blues... they have Northland, North Harbour & Auckland.. and within those entities are the clubs. Completely separate entities all the way through to the top. The Franchise is its own thing... boards are elected and each franchise runs things their own way.... only drawing the players and facility usage from the clubs... Separate coaches, staff, unaligned to any club during the club season. Allowing them to get around, see their players in action, attend trainings, run training camps during the club season, without disruption of course etc.

Just a thought.... :)

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The thing is that the ARU don't have the money to spend, they're already running at a significant loss. I agree they should contribute to the costs but there will still be some kind of financial burden (probably large) placed on the individual clubs/franchises.

In terms of the problem of using the traditional clubs, you would think there would be some sort of evaluation process each year so that its not neccesarily the same 3 teams playing in the comp and thus getting a massive influx of players.

For example the team which wins the QLD Prem comp gets included and they receive a substantial top up from the ARU/QRU as a prize and then after that the other clubs can pitch their offers as to why they should be included. So we could have a situation in say year 3 of the comp where GPS who have successfully pitched and been included in the first two years but not been successful and failed to draw crowds etc are placed on the outer and another club that year who finished similar on the ladder and can fund the venture are given a chance instead. This still means the currently less financial clubs are being left out but i'm sure we could think up a maybe a tier 2 comp or something?... Haha I don't really know.

As tigerland mentions, no matter the system there are going to be problems. The ideas we're discussing may be way off whats actually going to happen anyway.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think you'll find that clubs will loose their Premier funding fro the ARU/QRU and it will go into the running of a national comp. This is funding for performance rugby.

As for a start date I can't see there being any other option around when to start Premier Rugby, unless you want to start in Feb.

T

Tigers Tale

I think you'll find that clubs will loose their Premier funding fro the ARU/QRU and it will go into the running of a national comp. This is funding for performance rugby.

Jets - its not XMAS I know - but I think you will find that the ARU had already cut club grants for 2014 even before the talk of the Nat Club Comp.

The ARU is forgetting the grassroots - they need to inject money into the war of the kids with AFL, NRL & Soccer.

It doesn't seem that much money comes back from the ARU for juniors, schools or clubs.

I highlighted the decline in colts numbers at clubs like Easts & Wests (i.e. transition from schoolboy to colt) earlier this year and was hailed down as picking on other clubs but I think it is a sign of the system breaking down.

I fear for the state of the game/Wallabies in 15/20 year when the juniors/schoolboys that they should be investing in now are the Wallabies.

If the cattle aren't there in 15 years then not even the 3rd tier competition will fix the Wallabies.

I think that unless Ewen can pull off a miracle our RWC drought could continue for some time.

I think Nat Club Comp implementation or not there are quite a few Brisbane clubs struggling or just treading water, and that is simply not good for the game.

The Stingrays demise should not be simply read as a political bust up it was as much about the economics and that is the club that had the best playing surface in the comp.

Any news on whether it will be a 9 team comp with byes next year? Surely they won't put Logan to the slaughter in 2014. They need some time to add to their coaching/playing roster.

T

Tigers Tale

What happened at GPS with their coaches for 2014?

I know Shane Arnold & Shane Drahm are on board but was there a mass clean out of other coaches across the club?

If so how is the fallout from that being dealt with by the club.

Anyone want to predict how GPS will back up after the disappointment of 2013?

Also what is the coaching set-up at Souths looking like for 2014 - has Stevie Kef been given the flick?

Is Pat Byron still in charge of the Doggies?

I hear that Michael Lucas (Easts lineout coach) is not backing up next year, maybe big Pat Richards will have to pick up the slack, and undertake the responsibility for all the set piece.

Luco has done a great job over the last 3 or 4 years but he has left the house in good order with a number of good lineout brains in the club in Enever, Stolberg, Tyrell Barker, Andrew Ready, Matt Randell. The Easts lineout will miss Luco in 2014 but it will manage to remain the best lineout in the comp???

All the best Luco.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Luco has done a great job over the last 3 or 4 years but he has left the house in good order with a number of good lineout brains in the club in Enever, Stolberg, Tyrell Barker, Andrew Ready, Matt Randell.

Good Lineout Brains? Their average heights are around 7 foot 11. Once lifted they were 11 feet in the air, doesn't mean they have a PhD in Lineout Jumping.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What happened at GPS with their coaches for 2014?

The cleanout wasn't as big as everyone was thinking from what i've heard. Most of the restructure has happened at Colts level where the club has recruited some fairly strong coaches and put some new systems in place. The grades will remain mostly the same with a few coaches leaving and others being promoted, nothing too major.

I wouldn't call 2013 a disapointment apart from obviously not coming through in the Prems Grand Final. Across the club Prems, Reggies, 3rds and 4ths made Grand Finals, with the latter two winning the whole thing so I can't see the club going backwards too much from that, at least I hope not. Also the merger with GPS Juniors will help the club and hopefully upgrade some facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.