• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Latest out of GPS is that because Shane Arnold will only be involved with Aus20s in an assistant capacity he will continue to operate as head coach of Premier Grade. Shane Drahm (I think thats his name) has moved from Brothers and been appointed head coach of Reserve Grade.

Won't matter who coaches GPS unless they can get some tight 5 depth.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Post for information purposes only I'm not getting back in the game lads - Tiger to lead Wallabies at Twickenham this Saturday.

Yes we proudly claim Ben as a Tiger and he still has strong links to the club.

Before that old string starts again - do Uni still claim Big Kev & Sqweeky Moore as Students?

Wow- a "post for information purposes only" opening and a question to end. You are a puzzle T T.

I wasn't aware either Kev or Squeak had played for any other club than Uni. Squeaky is aligned with a Canberra club, but hasn't played for them so hasn't gained a release to play for anyone else. Who do you think should claim them?

T

Tigers Tale

I wasn't aware either Kev or Squeak had played for any other club than Uni. Squeaky is aligned with a Canberra club, but hasn't played for them so hasn't gained a release to play for anyone else. Who do you think should claim them?

That's my point of course they are Red Heavies - they'd consider themselves Uni boys and Benny Mowen is a Tiger - junior then senior. If not for Eddie Jones he may well have played 80 odd games for the Reds.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've heard that Lachie Turner is turning out for 4 different clubs. GPS, Logan City, Easts & Wests.

Everyone knows it's going to be GPS. They have a affliction with opening up their cheque book and bringing in the representative players.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Everyone knows it's going to be GPS. They have a affliction with opening up their cheque book and bringing in the representative players.

From my knowledge apart from the Faainga boys, whom I've heard, although not confirmed received some 'benefits' for coming to GPS, which rep players have GPS opened up the cheque book to? Because if its only those two, who have been with the club only a few seasons now, I think its a pretty unreasonable statement to make.

Radike had prior connections with some of the old boys of the club and lived in Ashgrove and Frisby has played down at GPS since he was old enough to strap the boots on in juniors. Another, Peter Hynes, moved to GPS a couple years back because of a promise he made to a friend, nothing to do with money.

Prove me wrong, not trying to get too defensive here but to my knowledge that is the situation.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Heard Samo got a free car for his services down at Yoku Rd. My source is the grapevine so take it for what it's worth.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any current player or member can get a pretty decent discount on a car through one of the clubs major sponsers, whether they gave Samo more of a discount i'm not sure but I do know the reasons he came to the club had nothing to do with a car.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
The old grapevine - must be true!!.....and GPS must be paying their rep players. I mean they've had so many over the last 3-4 years

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Let's not start this debate again pretty much every club makes some sort of concession for star players one way or another......SouthernX and I are just bitter that the only thing West's can afford to pay out are hugs and kisses for Stan Pilecki......oddly enough not a lot of players seem to cash in....

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Tigers have some great depth in the backrow so not sure opportunities will come along too easily. In saying that, Wilken is better now then Gunn was at this time last year. He obviously flourished at a rapid rate & had an exceptional year for an 18yo. I'd say a Reds EPS is on its way.

I also heard Wilken might spend some time with the Aust 7's?

I would guess Wilkens will play mostly in Colts this year. But also Easts will need a replacement number 8 not Butler is with the Brumbies and I was told that is what they were planning for wilken.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
I would guess Wilkens will play mostly in Colts this year. But also Easts will need a replacement number 8 not Butler is with the Brumbies and I was told that is what they were planning for wilken.

Not sure you can replace JB but hopefully someone can fill the void. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bertini in the 8 jersey next year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
hat's everyone's thoughts on this national comp? personally I am not a fan, at least not for it to be installed in 2014.
To me it seems rushed and unorganised no one knows anything concrete. Rumours are swirling that it's invitational only or that it's top teams at the end of each year.
Its also been mentioned that they are going to shorten the premier grade season to accommodate. I am not sure if this shortening the finals format or making it so everyone does not verse each other twice. In any case it feels like premier rugby could be potentially cheapened.
I think that a champions league style national comp is a good idea. Let the best teams in, but to make it an invitational competition would just lead to handful of clubs becoming stronger to the detriment of others.
I understand that there is potential for this either way but I would rather give everyone some hope, as rather than none

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
hat's everyone's thoughts on this national comp? personally I am not a fan, at least not for it to be installed in 2014.
To me it seems rushed and unorganised no one knows anything concrete. Rumours are swirling that it's invitational only or that it's top teams at the end of each year.
Its also been mentioned that they are going to shorten the premier grade season to accommodate. I am not sure if this shortening the finals format or making it so everyone does not verse each other twice. In any case it feels like premier rugby could be potentially cheapened.
I think that a champions league style national comp is a good idea. Let the best teams in, but to make it an invitational competition would just lead to handful of clubs becoming stronger to the detriment of others.
I understand that there is potential for this either way but I would rather give everyone some hope, as rather than none

I’ve been pondering a potential format similar to the way New Zealand coordinate Super Rugby and ITM Cup. Ultimately Premier Rugby would mirror the Super Rugby season. Once the Premier season finishes the top 2 teams from Brisbane and Sydney, and 1 team from the remaining states would play in a champions league style competition equivalent to the Premiership division of ITM. The remaining teams from Premier Rugby would make up a second competition similar to the Championship division of ITM. This would reduce the impact that returning Reds players would have on the Premier competition as the seasons would finish at the same time, and introduce a third tier competition showcasing the country’s best talent without reducing the amount of games each club plays in a season.

This format has it holes in it (as with all the others), and financing will again be the biggest challenge, but it’s another option to throw into the mix.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Happy Christmas all - I won't post again until the new year.

I still need some clarification on this comment, i am absolutely baffled what this even means anymore......:D

TD there is nothing wrong with a Hug with Big Stan Pilecki, many strive for that opportunity and if you can survive the aroma of a box of cuban cigars it is definately worth it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it will end up being Brisbane North and Brisbane South being the Qld teams. We need all the best players being involved. If it's club teams it wont work.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Turner should go to Wests, as we mentioned before their colts are struggling, it would help the club a lot if he came down and even spoke to the Colts.

I doubt he'd go to Easts. GPS possibly.

Anything going on at University, red heavy or Cat_A?

Status
Not open for further replies.