• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
I think it will end up being Brisbane North and Brisbane South being the Qld teams. We need all the best players being involved. If it's club teams it wont work.

Jets that does make more sense. The rest of the format could still work if north and south representative sides were picked at the end of the Premier season. Not a bad spread of talent either really:

South: Easts, Souths, Sunnybank, Breakers?
North: GPS, Uni, Norths, Wests

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
For the National Comp, thinking outside the box here..... why not have a knock out type system??

A real loose example:

16 teams - Top 5 Qld teams, Top 5 Shute teams, 2 ACT, 2 Melb, 1 SA, 1 WA etc etc.

Knock out comp. Seedings, but not sure of criteria on how to seed?? Open for suggestions? Percentage for and against??

Top 8 seeded teams travel away to bottom 8 seeded teams. 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 and so on. (8 games) Advantage of being seeded top - travel away to play - Disadvantage of being seeded top - travel away to play :) Might even a few games up??

The 8 winners are through to the next round. Same draw system based on original seedings, 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 etc. Top 4 seeds play away. (4 games)

Top 4 winners through to Semi's, BUT they have the home game now. (2 games)

Then the Final at the highest seeded teams major stadium. e.g. Ballymore if the QLD team in the final is a higher seed than the other team. (1 game)

4 week knock out comp - or could stretch it out even longer. Try it out, see how it goes!!

Funded by ARU of course!! Fly Sat morning, play Sat night, home Sunday lunchtime. (WA travel might be different?)

Just a thought...

As you were :)

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cant comment on Brothers but i'm fairly sure GPS finalized their coaching staff for colts and grades today so will know more in the coming days.

Big clean out down at Yoku with virtually all new coaches across the club from what I hear.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
My mail is Drahm was appointed Prems backs coach. As far as the clean out goes I believe GPS sacked the 1st Grade forwards coach.....apparently 4 grand finals in four years including 2 premierships and club coach of the year two years ago is not good enough for the club anymore.

This GPS supporter hopes the club is not adopting a win at all costs mentality

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ive heard similar triplet, except that Drahm has taken over as Reggies head coach, could be wrong though. Also that most coaches from Reggies down to 4ths and All colts coaches minus Prem colts Kelevi Tuicolo have been replaced.

I agree, massive cleanout for a club who had four teams in grand finals last year...

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Ive heard similar triplet, except that Drahm has taken over as Reggies head coach, could be wrong though. Also that most coaches from Reggies down to 4ths and All colts coaches minus Prem colts Kelevi Tuicolo have been replaced.

I agree, massive cleanout for a club who had four teams in grand finals last year.
How does that produce a constructive culture? Surely a modest club like GPS aren't so cut throat given their impressive results?!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone care to pick a hypothetical non-wallabies super/club rugby north v South team for the national comp???

I'm going to try & pick my squad (Tornados) I'll leave the selection headaches of Sunnybank Cashcow vs Tigers cheer squad for the others here on the forums.

North
1. Jono Owen (UQ) 2. Chibba (UQ) 3. Faagase (UQ) 4. McDulling (UQ) 5. Odonaghue (Wests) 6. Browning (UQ) 7. ???? Ferguson/Freney 8. ????

9. Frisby (GPS) 10. Greene (Wests) 11. Shipperley (Brothers) 12. Gillespie (Wests) 13. Kerevi (GPS) 14. Davies (UQ) 15. Taulagi (UQ)

I'd round out the bench with Dave Campbell scrum half, Philip Kite prop, Kuridrani & Damon Murphy (outside backs) either of the 7 I listed above & remaining question mark would be a Lock & Hooker from the QLD premier North teams.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Damn I also forgot about the Norths winger flyer. The name escapes me (just like the guys trying to tackle him)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
South team

1- Greg Holmes (Sunnybank)
2- Albert Anae (Sunnybank)
3- Sam Denny (Souths)
4- Blake Enever ( Easts)
5- Michael Stollberg (Easts)
6- Beau Robinson (Souths)
7- Michael Gunn (Easts)
8- Ed Quirk (Easts)
9- Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)
10- Matt Brandon (Easts)
11- Jonah Placid (Easts)
12- Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank)
13- Toby White (Easts)
14- Chris F'Sautia (Souths)
15- Aiden Toua (Easts)

Throw in guys like Ben Daley, Lolo Fakolsili(?), Andrew Ready, UJ Seuteni on the bench.

I'm sure if have forgotten someone.....

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone care to pick a hypothetical non-wallabies super/club rugby north v South team for the national comp???

I'm going to try & pick my squad (Tornados) I'll leave the selection headaches of Sunnybank Cashcow vs Tigers cheer squad for the others here on the forums.

North
1. Jono Owen (UQ) 2. Chibba (UQ) 3. Faagase (UQ) 4. McDulling (UQ) 5. Odonaghue (Wests) 6. Browning (UQ) 7. ???? Ferguson/Freney 8. ????

9. Frisby (GPS) 10. Greene (Wests) 11. Shipperley (Brothers) 12. Gillespie (Wests) 13. Kerevi (GPS) 14. Davies (UQ) 15. Taulagi (UQ)

I'd round out the bench with Dave Campbell scrum half, Philip Kite prop, Kuridrani & Damon Murphy (outside backs) either of the 7 I listed above & remaining question mark would be a Lock & Hooker from the QLD premier North teams.
Conor Mitchell at #7 and Matt Arvier at #8

Both incredibly under rated.

Bond from Brothers would have to be in there somewhere, possibly at 12?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
South team

1- Greg Holmes (Sunnybank)
2- Albert Anae (Sunnybank)
3- Sam Denny (Souths)
4- Blake Enever ( Easts)
5- Michael Stollberg (Easts)
6- Beau Robinson (Souths)
7- Michael Gunn (Easts)
8- Ed Quirk (Easts)
9- Ben Lucas (Sunnybank)
10- Matt Brandon (Easts)
11- Jonah Placid (Easts)
12- Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank)
13- Toby White (Easts)
14- Chris F'Sautia (Souths)
15- Aiden Toua (Easts)

Throw in guys like Ben Daley, Lolo Fakolsili(?), Andrew Ready, UJ Seuteni on the bench.

I'm sure if have forgotten someone...
I don't mind this team. There would be a big push for CFS in 13. Also not sure of Lucas at 9. It's not his position but I can see that it gets the best players on the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
if it happens i doubt they would let the full-time reds players take part. Pulver has been talking about barring them from premier rugby in the future

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
if it happens i doubt they would let the full-time reds players take part. Pulver has been talking about barring them from premier rugby in the future
Wow that's a big call. Nothing beats match fitness, but most importantly and one of the biggest factors missing in so many sports is the knowledge of the game and how to handle situations that comes when playing club. Growth and development as a player is vital.
Academies and training only teach you so much.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
SouthernX, you must be spewing if Faagase has gone to UQ! Any ideas why?

And I reckon Sunnybank, Easts and UQ will be the leading teams for 2014 (that rhymes) Along with Souths.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
SouthernX, you must be spewing if Faagase has gone to UQ! Any ideas why?

And I reckon Sunnybank, Easts and UQ will be the leading teams for 2014 (that rhymes) Along with Souths.

It would be a real shame if he left Wests, hopefully for the right reasons, but I really doubt that. Least Wests will know his weaknesses. But then again most clubs probably already know them as well.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Turner should go to Wests, as we mentioned before their colts are struggling, it would help the club a lot if he came down and even spoke to the Colts.

I doubt he'd go to Easts. GPS possibly.

Anything going on at University, red heavy or Cat_A?
Biggest change at UQ will be the departure of David Enfantie. Extremly successful head coach of colts and more recently backs coach of premier grade. Will be interesting to see who they replace him with coaching wise. He was also the GM and did a fantastic job across the whole club during his 5 or so years.

The big thing I am looking to see is how Gunn goes next year. Second year syndrome mixed in with a the rigorous under 20's program has caused a few players over the years to not replicate the same form especially in a high impact position. There has also been for players like Curtis browning and Liam gill which it seemed to have no effect on at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.