• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Just as Easts have really come on under former Dragon Tim Sampson. ;)

Nice call Jets I can't say anything in reply to that.

But Sambo gets and enjoys the Easts culture.

He is another good human being and I hope the Reds A do well for him in Perth tonight- he's assistant coach to Peter Wilkins.

Sambo of course is a premiership winning captain of the bank - he lead them the day they scored 80 odd in the GF.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
How does everyone reckon the new scrum engagement will affect gameplay this season?

The reason I ask is because when you think about it, even the professional teams have struggled a bit and they're training nearly everyday. Asking a bunch of blokes who only train for about 3-4hrs a week to master it by March is a steep learning curve.

I think we'll see some one sided contents from the teams who have put a lot of work into it during the early stages but hopefully it settles down a bit during the season and because a steady platform for teams to work from.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
How does everyone reckon the new scrum engagement will affect gameplay this season?

The reason I ask is because when you think about it, even the professional teams have struggled a bit and they're training nearly everyday. Asking a bunch of blokes who only train for about 3-4hrs a week to master it by March is a steep learning curve.

I think we'll see some one sided contents from the teams who have put a lot of work into it during the early stages but hopefully it settles down a bit during the season and because a steady platform for teams to work from.

I think the premier grades will adapt fine to the new laws. However I have an inkling that for the first half of the season we will see some ugly scrums in the lower grades.
I like the new laws it makes pushing as a unit even more crucial, and creates a vacuum for technique to reign supreme over power.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)

Big Dog there is a good article on The Roar by Dan Palmer today talking about the new scrum laws. Worth a read if you haven't already.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Easts will be strong at the back end of the season when the Super XV finishes, they will go well in the finals if they don't do the usual customary choke.

Xavier jenkins

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ray
Easts will be strong at the back end of the season when the Super XV finishes, they will go well in the finals if they don't do the usual customary choke.
rather entertaining hearing a brothers supporter talking about another team "choking" at finals time. Pot kettle black

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
If you're claiming Mowen then Butler has to be a Breaker. In fact they are both former Tigers now.
Easts website article mentioning current Tigers Quirk, Toua and TURNER against ex tigers Butler, Murphy and Mowen this weekend.

I think it's fair to still claim players, especially those who were very involved and devoted to the club, Mowen and Butler both fall under that banner.

Same as Luke Morahan and Jono Lance at University, both who played there for several seasons.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth please - pot calling kettle my friend there was a time when this was the case maybe but 4 premierships in last 20 years (only South equal that). Brothers 1 from 20.

Easts finals record in '08,'09 & '13 is 5 wins 1 loss.

Mate I am not a mathematician but I think Easts record is greater than Brothers of recent times and that's during a time when Brothers have probably accumulated more competition points than any other club.

I don't like pointing the choker tag in anyone's direction and it's certain not Easts who are the competitions chokers my friend but if the cap fits......

T

Tigers Tale

You really are a student of the game ie S15 & QPR aren't you Filth.

Murphy in his one season at Easts made a mess of many a front row such that plenty were glad to see him picked up by the Brumbies two years ago.

Jono Owen & Greg Holmes were two who could vouch for Rory's ability.

He probably got 12 S15 caps in 2012 but injury restricted him to a couple last year. He qualifies for Irish or Aust international selection.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Link wanted him at the Reds, but he was snatched by the BRumbies.

But he's off to Ireland next year regardless apparently.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you expect me to remember every Easts representative player, then you've got another thing coming, TT. But I suppose there's been so little in the past, I don't blame you for being on your high horse.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Filth have you seen much of how Matheson is going? Has he implemented many changes to the style of training from recent years?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I haven't headed down Brothers way yet, Cat. I'll find out and get back to you and TT specifically- I know he is definitely interested! Haha.

All I know is that a few grades players are getting a go in the squad, along with few 2013 Premier Colts featuring as well.

What about Le`Red Heavies?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not to say Brothers forwards have been average the last couple of years but they definitely haven't been as noticeable since the likes of the Shaw bros, Ben McCormack etc moved on. I think Matho will be able to change that and unearth some real gems down there are Crosby and make that pack a well oiled machine. Expecting big things from this year.

T

Tigers Tale

I haven't headed down Brothers way yet, Cat. I'll find out and get back to you and TT specifically- I know he is definitely interested! Haha.

What about Le`Red Heavies?

Mr Filth I really couldn't care less what's going on at Crosby or St Lucia or Yoku Rd because plenty of water will flow under the bridge before Easts take on these sides & Snbk.

And Big Dog I think the scrums in early part of the season could be dreadful as not only the players work it out but the referees are really going to struggle.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Went to see the Doggies Premier squad take on the Qld U20 squad at Ballymore Saturday. Perfect weather, field in great nick, and a positive crowd...welcome back to rugby season.

I think it was 3 tries to 2 to the U20's but the Doggies definitely showed some ticker and have unearthed at least a handful of players that looked to be up to the grade with strong defence for the whole 80 minutes (4 x 20 qtrs).

The U20's were strong in the scrum, especially in the last half, but seemed to lack fluidity in the backline but hopefully that is just a bit of early season rust.

Overall, I think the Dogs showed they will carry some punch in 2014 with crunching defence and some backline sparkle on show and they didn't really seem to tire so looks like their fitness is good.

T

Tigers Tale

Glad to see positives for the Doggies but as for the U20s remember that Gale(#9), Greene(#10) & Placid(#15) come back into this backline - that should speed things up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.