• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Sam Greene was on the sidelines so assumed he was injured. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Coordination was more of an issue for the U20's so I would suggest those 3, especially in those key positions, might help

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I haven't headed down Brothers way yet, Cat. I'll find out and get back to you and TT specifically- I know he is definitely interested! Haha.

All I know is that a few grades players are getting a go in the squad, along with few 2013 Premier Colts featuring as well.

What about Le`Red Heavies?

I think the biggest change I've noticed is the impact that Scott Allen's coaching is having. There has been a bigger focus on learning and performing basic skills while fatigued. I haven't seen much scrum training at this stage, but with trials starting this week I'm sure that will change.

T

Tigers Tale

Sam Greene played for Reds A v Force A on Friday night in Perth that's why he wouldn't have been playing.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whos playing who in trials this weekend? GPS v Uni out at Albany Creek (with all Colts being played at UQ). Should be a good hit out. Expecting a lot of new/young faces to get a run in this one.

butcher

Frank Row (1)
I heard a whisper that Sam Greene may have been there on Saturday to watch his future team mates against his former team mates.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I heard Brothers picked up Elias or someone from Norths, I think he is a breakaway and a very good player- this might be old news.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeah Filth, Elias Power plays #7. He had last season off to focus on crossfit or something?? Very fit player. Was in and out of Prems in 2012. Another #7, Tom Hewitt from 2013, is also down at Crosby this year as he wanted to play with his mates this year. Missed the end of last season due to a shoulder injury. Real workhorse.

Andrew Gentles (#6/7) who started in Prems last season and the whole of 2012, has gone to Easts due to his employer being involved on the board or committee there. He only played a handful of games last season due to a back injury.

Api (Fijian 7s player and #4, 5 or 6) has headed to Yoku Road and taken another talented Fijian back - Manasa Tuisuva - with him. Api only played a few games last season until he tore his hamstring off the bone in the early rounds, vs GPS ironically.

Carlos Gavidi, a Norths regular and Captain for these past few seasons, will not be back this year from Spain. He is heading back to NZ for the birth of his first child.

Brett Goodin, our halfback from last season, is returning to Taranaki with the aim to add to his 74 Taranaki caps in the ITM Cup limited chances here. He wasn't given an opportunity to shine due to our performances on the field, which is fair enough.

It is a common trend for Norths, losing good players to what they think is greener pastures (some obviously are greener) and that is fine as we will never stand in their way. At the end of the day, when we are all hobbling around on bent & broken limbs, we all know that Rugby is a special community built on mateship, and we will always respect their decisions without an ounce of bitterness.

All the best boys! :)

We are more than happy working with the players that want to be there and have been turning up week in and week out and putting in the effort so far this pre season. We feel we are developing into a pretty good unit down at the Nest.

Still a bit short in depth for a couple of positions, so if any budding Premier players reading this, feel they aren't getting or going to get a fair crack at Premier Rugby at their current club, feel free to pop down to Shaw Road for a look. (shameless plug, sorry guys!)

Norths are travelling to Rocky to play the CQ Brahmans on Saturday night in both Premier and Premier Colts grades.

Our grades are playing Caboolture in the 'Boolt'

Next week we have a full club trial vs Souths @ Norths.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
GB a simple like on your post just didn't seem like enough. Thanks for the info and especially for this sentence...

At the end of the day, when we are all hobbling around on bent & broken limbs, we all know that Rugby is a special community built on mateship, and we will always respect their decisions without an ounce of bitterness.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Player numbers must be alright though throughout the club GB? I believe its the first time Norths will be fielding a 'Brisbane 3rd Grade' (last years 4th grade) side in a few years? Or at least you've nominated to have one.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Any other year I would agree however I am just to bitter this year. I didn't mind losing our bookends to the red heavies. But the issue has just been compounded by overseas raiders.
Makes a man disappointed as a steady improvement was occurring at Sylvan Road. I am not saying it this upward curve will now stop but, it will definitely be slowed.
As a form of therapy I will give all my attention to the Wallabies because they never fall short of expectations...

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Also is anyone aware of why caboolture has decided to leave the Sunshine Coast Competition in lieu of Brisbane Suburban comp?? I would have thought that would have been a minor drop in quality?

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi BigDog, No 3rd grade this year (old 4th grade). I'm not sure what the QRU have done there as we never nominated a team in that division..... just don't have the resources (players) etc.... or maybe we did when it was named the old name in the new format or the old format with the new name or the new old with the name format.... I'm not sure.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hope Norths have a better season.

I agree with you TrainerGB on players leaving clubs. That's rugby!

Not too many leave Brothers though, once you reach the pinnacle of Australian Club Rugby, it's nearly impossible to go back!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Cheers Filth, we are planning too! :)

There has been a complete clean out, all through the club. From the top (president & committee) right through to the coaching staff. I think there is 1 coach who is coaching the same team as last year, so it has been a complete restructure.

We don't really want to say it is a "rebuilding" year... (although that is probably the perfect phrase for it) but it's more of a new focus with new fresh input & ideas from new faces type of year.

Things are looking good so far and we aim to keep the momentum up throughout the season.

We had our first all day 'Workshop' on Saturday for our top squad and things went really well. Achieved a lot and the boys were receptive to these new ideas.

'If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got'.

Nothing changes if nothing changes....

Cliché king!!!

All the best to the best club in Australia too Filth. Looking forward to the clashes this year, always a good battle.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Norths fixture is honestly quite tough at times, for most clubs actually. I think it goes back to what SX says " When Wests are going well, the comps going well", I think the same applies to Norths.

Best club in Australia, it's a pleasure, I'm sure there are a few Wicks, Uni and Sydney Uni people who would disagree. A whole new thread could be created on this topic but then I remember that everything on Green and Gold Rugby has to revolve around Easts Brisbane Rugby Club, so I'll leave it there.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hi BigDog, No 3rd grade this year (old 4th grade). I'm not sure what the QRU have done there as we never nominated a team in that division... just don't have the resources (players) etc.. or maybe we did when it was named the old name in the new format or the old format with the new name or the new old with the name format.. I'm not sure.

Ah fair enough, regardless, I hope Norths have good numbers for all the teams they do enter. QRU might have made several errors like that as I notice they had posted all the match fixtures for every grade (Prems through to Subbies) on their website over the weekend, only for them to now have vanished!

Nadroboy

Frank Row (1)
Afternoon gentlemen, have been watching over this forum for a while now and have found it pleasant viewing. Filthrugby and tigers tale, the banter is fantastic! ( just quietly TT im on your side!! )
Responding to Thierry's question, Caboolture has come back to subbies due to the sunshine coast pulling out of premier rugby. The Caboolture seniors have always insisted to their juniors that the stingrays were an integral part of their rugby pathway. The seniors had no choice, as to be seen 'responsible' to their juniors to come back to the Brisbane competition. Thierry, the sunny coast comp has been on the decline for 4-5 years now. In the last 2 years the standard of rugby has been borderline 2nd grade 3rd grade standard. Hence the whippings the stingrays were taking last year. Although committed, the lads were simply not upto standard. In a perfect world, i would like to see noosa, maroochydore, caloundra and s.c uni join the snakes in the new Brisbane grade comp (old 2nd grade 3rd grade).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank play the Filth at home this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch some of the rugby.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Wests reggies and 2/3rd grade are out to Redlands this weekend. It will be interesting to see if rebuilding in subbies rugby has done the mud crabs any good

Status
Not open for further replies.