• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

What about Easts, anyone star?

Filth, those who stood out were: Parry, Moore on debut made some brutal early hits, the front row, Faulkner looked dangerous when he was given some space, Brandon & Mullins directed things well.

I think TD was asking for shooting star the other day - for Easts that could be Moore as he re-familiarises himself in Rugby.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
TT I agree with your comments but would also nominate Toby White as a standout for the Tigers last night.

Easts forwards did a terrific job against a very good Sydney Uni pack. Our front row got hammered a few times by what was a brutal opposition - must admit I was concerned for Kimmince late in the 2nd half but he's obviously a tough man. Barring injuries I think the Easts pack will be among the QPR's best and most feared this season.

What about new centre EJ (Eddie Jones)? He's a talent for sure and it's encouraging to think that his game will improve as the season progresses!

Mullins' willingness to vary his play was a feature of his game last night. Early days yet but if we can keep him on the paddock all year he'll certainly be one of our aces again - NRC call up for Mullins later in the year ???

All things considered it was an enthralling and tough game and a good start to our year. Bring on the Magpies next week as that will be a true test of Easts' game. Remember how Souths wiped the floor with us at their old boys' day in round 2 last year!

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
So Nigel Genia's been shopped around the Prem comp & still finds himself @ Wests after zero bites. Feel sorry for the Dogs as he's not the required standard & just running off his bro's name.
Well he's playing for Reds A against an Argies team in the PRC final in Sydney this afternoon so must have something other than his surname going for him. He's got a top forward pack in front of him and Taulagi outside him so there's no reason he won't shine. Wests will be a better team for his involvement this year.

Never feel sorry for the Doggies ... they won't ever reciprocate.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Was very impressed with the Tigers yesterday, despite going down.

New league converts Moore and EJ (Eddie Jones) looked awesome in their first full union game. Looks like we have a good replacement for Stollberg, he put on some HUGE hits. EJ (Eddie Jones) ran very strong and looked good defensively.

Jack Mullins was awesome, I think Pauly might be onto something about higher honours. How can anyone say Nigel Genia is better than Chucky?

Joel Faulkner looked great considering he had a year off and lost a lot of weight, very dangerous in attack. Manny Bell kicked well from fullback, and our back rowers did some great tight work.

As I said, very impressed. I was worried how we'd go without our rep players, but it's looking quite good with the new players coming in.

And the crowd was vocally unreal. Very passionate and LOUD....so fucking loud!! You gotta love having that atmosphere at your local footy field, had a real big match feel about it.

Bring on the Magpies!!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Who were the standouts from Uni TT/Tigerland ?

Not familiar with the names to be honest, I tend to focus mostly on the Easts players anyway.

Your number 6 was a decent unit from memory, and your scrum was incredibly dominant. Can't recall too much else for Uni sorry mate.

T

Tigers Tale

Intruder they were good across the paddock, solid scrum and nice counter attack.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
No we lost R1 to the Gold Coast. Went through the rest of the season unbeaten although we did draw with sunnybank in round 9

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Tigerland love the atmosphere at the club. Chuck was great/is great. Think that Butler + Stolberg and Enever partnership in 2nd row hard to replace and will take a while. Lot of rugby knowledge there.
However Easts have passion and a belief that will envelop the new players and bond them as a tight unit.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I honestly thought at the start of last year that Jack Mullins was very overrated. However, I think apart from Campbell (I wonder why?) he is the best 9 in the competition. I think confidence through being skipper and lifting the hospital cup, has greatly improved him. Should have been considered for Qld A. Best thing about him is that you cannot hear him verbally abuse the opposition players from the sidelines, unlike a few others...TT.

T

Tigers Tale

I honestly thought at the start of last year that Jack Mullins was very overrated. However, I think apart from Campbell (I wonder why?) he is the best 9 in the competition. I think confidence through being skipper and lifting the hospital cup, has greatly improved him. Should have been considered for Qld A. Best thing about him is that you cannot hear him verbally abuse the opposition players from the sidelines, unlike a few others.TT.

Filth if you are referring to the Easts crowd on Saturday I'd say that had a fair bit to do with interstate rivalry as much as wanting to get their team over the line. I thought most of it was good natured and I think the Sydney Uni guys enjoyed the atmosphere. I have never heard a louder crowd at Bottomley - something that visiting teams will just have to put up with. I'd say that a large and vocal crowd awaits the Magpies this Saturday - can't wait.

As for Mullins & Campbell I think they are better footballers and organisers than Nigel G but people don't want me to bang Nigel on this forum so I won't. If it comes down to City v Country in the NRC that should put Nigel in the country side and Frisby, Campbell, Mullins in the City side but there is also Scoty Gale to consider.

T

Tigers Tale

Pauly, your comments about South whipping us in the game at Chiipsy Wood last year (it was one of Easts 4 losses the others to GPA x 2 & Bros(A)) is valid and I am sure that Pat Richards will use that in his preparation this week.

Souths have had the measure of the Tigers a few times over the last couple of years and again in the trial this year, they beat us at Chipsy Wood in 2012 & 2013, and only went down by a point in the game at Bottomley last year. That was on the back of verbosity at the breakdown so Parry and the boys will need to lift this weekend.

Note that two of their backrow from 2013 - Kalavata & Manasa - now form part of the tigers back row set-up.

South will be tough - they have great technique and passion at the breakdown and their back line is probably the most underrated in the comp lead by Muirhead.

Bring on the traditional Southside derby!!

T

Tigers Tale

My QRU sources tell me that Jim Tucker was on the money in his Courier -Mail article on Saturday - the two QLD teams in the NRC will be City & Country Origin.

With both teams based and training at Ballymore but City playing its games at Ballymore and Country splitting its games between Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville & Robina.

Coaches, Support Staff & Media supplied from QRU ranks.

What will be the origin criteria for say:
1. PNG boys like Aidan Toua, Pettowa Paraka, Nigel Genia;
2. NZ/SA heritage players e.g. Mike Harris;
3. Interstate raised players like Beau Robinson, Ant Fainga.

Apparently there will be a big media release from the ARU or QRU regarding the NRC this week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My QRU sources tell me that Jim Tucker was on the money in his Courier -Mail article on Saturday - the two QLD teams in the NRC will be City & Country Origin.

With both teams based and training at Ballymore but City playing its games at Ballymore and Country splitting its games between Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville & Robina.

Coaches, Support Staff & Media supplied from QRU ranks.

What will be the origin criteria for say:
1. PNG boys like Aidan Toua, Pettowa Paraka, Nigel Genia;
2. NZ/SA heritage players e.g. Mike Harris;
3. Interstate raised players like Beau Robinson, Ant Fainga.

Apparently there will be a big media release from the ARU or QRU regarding the NRC this week.

or as I said a month or so ago. Anyway, its happening this arvo at 3pm Sydney time.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Pauly, your comments about South whipping us in the game at Chiipsy Wood last year (it was one of Easts 4 losses the others to GPA x 2 & Bros(A)) is valid and I am sure that Pat Richards will use that in his preparation this week.

Souths have had the measure of the Tigers a few times over the last couple of years and again in the trial this year, they beat us at Chipsy Wood in 2012 & 2013, and only went down by a point in the game at Bottomley last year. That was on the back of verbosity at the breakdown so Parry and the boys will need to lift this weekend.

Note that two of their backrow from 2013 - Kalavata & Manasa - now form part of the tigers back row set-up.

South will be tough - they have great technique and passion at the breakdown and their back line is probably the most underrated in the comp lead by Muirhead.

Bring on the traditional Southside derby!!

TT I agree that the Magpies have had Easts measure over the last few games and I hope that that will continue on Saturday. I must point out however that Kalavata has never played Premier Grade for Souths and only a couple of Reggies games as well. He has been a consistent 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade player over the last few years and Manasa played a few games in Prems before going down to Reggies and then being injured and suspended, so I don't feel that you can draw any inference that the Souths pack has been weakened in any way by these players having left the Nest.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I must also point out to TT that Souths put eight tries on Norths on the weekend without Andy Muirhead, who was unavailable.

T

Tigers Tale

Sorry Warhorse - I thought that both played in the Chipsy Wood game last year when Souths tore Easts apart in a 15-20 minute period mid way through the second half.

It will be interesting to see how much Premier Grade they see at the Tigers.

It will be a more effective Tigers outfit this weekend.

T

Tigers Tale

Warhorse, I think you will find that I have been pumping up the virtue of the Magpies for some time now on this forum, and anyone who doesn't rate them does so at their own peril.

But from a serious rugby perspective does 8 tries say more about Norths than it does about Souths?? Just asking - maybe TGB could offer an opinion on the Norths performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.