• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The layout of the clubhouse & the way the fields are will make for a awful viewing experience at Akuna oval.

I wonder if they are going to have any temporary bleachers for heavies faithful?

T

Tigers Tale

Filth given I was on the side of the losers on Saturday I have to concede to you on this point, but did you get a view of the Greene try from where you were sitting at the "best ground to watch Rugby in Brisbane"?

Paraka and Kimmince would be great ins for Sunnybank but unfortunately their injured bodies will not permit that at present.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
By the way are you also going to suggest that Richard Graham learnt his coaching prowess at GPS instead of Easts from now on, TT?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
The big dog is correct as the fields are double booked for corporate games and Souths unfortunately couldn't swap the home and away fixtures so out to Kenmore we go.

We played a trial game against sunnybank out there a few years ago. All the people from kenmore where most welcoming and put on a good show so I am sure this time round will be no different.

Not 100% sure but I think the majority of spectators had to stand last time so might be best to bring a chair along for those interested in watching what should be a very good match up.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Looking at the Doughty Shield standings is interesting- Norths ahead of Easts and Logan City ahead of Norths. Maybe just a relic of bye rounds, but I can't personally recall a time where a team without a Premier Grade side (such as Logan) has been ahead of clubs with close to a full complement of teams (as well as Premier grade).

Looks like good progress is being made in Logan.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Could the great club culture and atmosphere at Easts Prem Grade games be a contributing factor to the poor performance of the lower grades at Easts?

Maybe some good Brisbane 1st and 2nd grade players would rather save themselves for cans at 3pm kick off then get up and slug it out in the heat of the middle of the day.

TT?

oldmate

Frank Row (1)
Could the great club culture and atmosphere at Easts Prem Grade games be a contributing factor to the poor performance of the lower grades at Easts?

Maybe some good Brisbane 1st and 2nd grade players would rather save themselves for cans at 3pm kick off then get up and slug it out in the heat of the middle of the day.

TT?
ECA. Easts is one of the great QLD clubs and the players certainly do enjoy supporting the premier players. However, they are not the only people cheering on the premier team at 3pm. The culture that exists at Easts extends far beyond the current playing group and Easts have worked hard for years to build this culture. Obviously many players enjoy a post-game drink but they give their all on the field. This also extends beyond the 1st and 2nd grade players.

2014 may not have gotten off to the start Easts would have liked but players are consistently training and learning about the game. Easts have record numbers playing for the club which is great (both senior and junior sectors)

Many of the old heads are playing in the 4th grade team this year and the 1st- 3rd grade teams are building around fine coaches. If TT could get the older heads to represent the club in the 1st-3rd grade teams next year the younger players will continue to develop as players even more.

Up the tigers.

T

Tigers Tale

Well said Oldmate.

Aces - I think you are being a bit rough with your "3pm beers" theory is outrageous.

Club culture is not just the social interaction and beers in the beer garden, it is about board/admin/coaches/players interaction, a one club mentality (Seniors & Juniors), family/community values underpinning the club. I think we do these well at Easts and they generally need to be in place before you have on field success.

Easts lower grades have been a force in the past and will one day be that again but with the talent and experience available at present within the club it is going to be a while before that happens.

If your theory was based on the rowdy group of supporters at Crosby last Saturday - FYI they were primarily 3rd graders (Oldmate calls them 4th grade - whatever their correct name is) who had a bye and had partaken in a pub crawl on the way to Crosby last Saturday.

They created some atmosphere at Crosby and I think simply by turning up to support the Prems shows that they have a decent club ethos.

For the record 3rd grade is the only lower grade sides that has secured multiple wins this year.

And Leakytap - I have been quiet because I have my "TigersTale" between my legs at moment after 4 games that Easts were in but failed to get the win - Souths, Uni, GPS & Bros - one has to question whether the desperate desire that produced the 2013 success has waned in 2014. We will have to see how desperate they are this weekend against the Dragons.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought the support on the weekend was great, TT. You might disagree/agree. From the distance I could see Easts supporters (all 10 of them) at one time pissing behind the mounds, a bit of decorum please.
Toiletry at Bottemley mustn't be progressive by the looks of things.

One thing I did see was the Easts manager or trainer absolutely screaming at the referee about the scrum. I couldn't imagine why.

The Filth take on G.P.S this Saturday. I hope Brothers put up a strong challenge to a wounded Galloper.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Aaaahh Filth you've chanced upon a pet hate of mine... Excuse the rant

I hate hearing trainers and water runners throwing chat at opposition players or refs. The medical staff are not involved in the competition and they don't (and shouldn't) have any influence on the game - it is their job to contribute to the safety of the game and in that regard they are more akin to referees while the game is going on.

Most of the trainers around the traps get along with the other trainers, and most understand that running water and patching blood is not a competitive event so they tend to work well with each other - there are 30 players on a very big field and at any given time 6-16 of them are getting off the ground or disengaging from scrums. Noticing when someone is doing so slower than usual or is behaving unusually (for them) is probably the best and most reliable early indicator of potential head injuries available at club level, and it's a team effort. If you're heckling the other team or yelling at referees you aren't paying attention to your own team.

As an aside, as a trainer I was also never a big fan of being abused or otherwise heckled at away games for being on the sideline - if one of your players was hurt and I was closest I'd help until your trainers got there (and sometimes after if need be).

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think it was the manager, Cat. Not the trainer. (apologies if he's a reader)The manager from Easts is obviously a passionate bloke and does a lot for the club, (definitely not having a go at him at all) he just seemed a bit over enthused with some of Moore's rulings.

It's good that you're a trainer for Uni. At Brothers they get a lot of recognition, because the work they do is extremely important.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
It's good that you're a trainer for Uni. At Brothers they get a lot of recognition, because the work they do is extremely important.

Allegedly retired now Filth - I say allegedly because I'm still around and if a game needs covering or extra hands are required I slip into something a little more comfortable (shoes, usually!). Had a brief dealing with Brothers earlier in the year - great people to deal with.

And mine was more a generalised rant from my own experience triggered by a couple of words you said - certainly not a comment on a game I wasn't at and haven't seen.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Going to be a massive day down at Yoku this weekend. Traditionally this game gets some of the biggest crowds down to the field and I believe GPS are also advertising it as an 'Old Boys' day to get some more numbers on the sidelines.

I think GPS will find it hard to get over the line here unless massive improvements are made. Also if the Reds are smart they'll be grabbing Samu Kerevi this weekend to add some much needed strike power to the backline so the Gallopers could be missing him.

I believe GPS Prem colts haven't dropped a game since their stars in Rodwell, Tuttle and Magnay have been starting together for the past 3-4 weeks, might see some of those guys getting a run for Prem Grade this w/e or soon if any more results like what happened against the Heavies occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.