• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propsperspective

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not long until the season proper kicks off! Expecting close to full strength teams this weekend. I was wondering if anyone down at the Kennel can tell us if the Wests Number 1 side will play Norths or Christchurch Div 1 side Syndeham?

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Tongan Thor is still unavailable for national selection due to a contract he signed with the NZRU before joining the Reds. The ARU are working hard to resurrect the problem which might allow him to participate in 2016, however at this stage he won't be available for selection.
So does that mean he should be considered an import player? Does this mean Reds over import limit which I thought was only 2 players allowed.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
He'd be fine under the foreign development player clause anyway

Ditto. To add to that each Super rugby squad can have up to 2 additional Japanese players.
An agreement pushed hard by Eddie Jones and agreed on by the SANZAR committee which would not impact the salary cap and the number of other internationals signed to a Super franchise.

One condition though is that the Japanese RU and clubs would pay 80-90% of that players salary (e.g. Tanaka, Goromaru, Leich etc). Leaving Super Rugby sides to fill the remainder, the extra 10-20% as well as living away from home allowances.

The Reds chose to pick up Tui and Goromaru and have not considered using their international signing this season. Tongan Thor is under an ARU development contract (Minimum 2 seasons). No impact to the salary and or foreign eligibility.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
According to the Reds line-up, Bros have picked up L Tui. That brings our tally up to two in Super Xv and two in Reds U/20s.

Bulldogs - Wests have E Maafu on the bench for the Qld U/20s. Another year of scrum dominance by Wests could be on the cards.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jamie - It was even across the grades and similarly with the Colts. SB have plenty of pace in the Premier Grade backline.
Bros might not have their strongest team at the moment but they shouldn't be written off from making the four.

Souths looked good in patches against the Woodies. Eastwood managed to score the majority of their tries in a similar manner to how Souths beat Easts in 2015. This included, trucking it up in the forwards then finding space out wide. Eastwood have a strong chance of making it three Shute Shield titles in row.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Souths did look good at times but their last pass execution let them down on a number of occasions. I think this was just because of new combinations and early year rustiness. It was 4 tries to three with the Woodies scoring their last try after full-time. A couple of frustrating penalties right in front of goal pushed the scoreline out. Kyle Blackman at F/Back had an excellent game but in MHO this should be Andy Muirhead's position and Kyle should be at 13 or wing. Should be a good trial on Sat. V Easts Tigers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes Filth they are. In 2015 they shouldn't have been in the precarious position they were going into the final round. They missed a penalty dead in front against Bond in the second game of the season to loose 17-18 and they had the game against Easts in Round One in their grasp but some inexperienced play gifted the Tigers the game. They will be a more experienced and confident team this year and the narrow magin games should go their way like they did at the tail end of 2015.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Warhorse - In your eyes are the Maggies capable of achieving back-to-back premierships?

I think it's just a really difficult thing to do - go back to back - that's why you don't see it often in any of the football codes.

Why? I think it's because in order to win a premiership you need a bit of luck to fall your way - e.g. Injuries, bounce if the ball, etc and sometimes those things are cyclical - one year they fall your way and the next year they don't.

Having said that Souths are a very good side and will take some beating.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it's just a really difficult thing to do - go back to back - that's why you don't see it often in any of the football codes.

Why? I think it's because in order to win a premiership you need a bit of luck to fall your way - e.g. Injuries, bounce of the ball, etc and sometimes those things are cyclical - one year they fall your way and the next year they don't.

Having said that Souths are a very good side and will take some beating.

Souths definitely had their fare share of bounce of the balls go there way in their finals matches against Brothers & Uni. I believe the contests were both decided in the last minute of these games where they scored some much needed points.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sx - do you have a top four prediction for this year? Can the Doggies break the drought since 2007?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Sx - do you have a top four prediction for this year? Can the Doggies break the drought since 2007?

Uni
Bond
Brothers
Gallopers
(in no particular order)

Hope we can break the drought!!! This team looks good. Health and availability at pointy end of season will be what determines if the Dogs can sniff the postseason.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Uni
Bond
Brothers
Gallopers
(in no particular order)

Hope we can break the drought!!! This team looks good. Health and availability at pointy end of season will be what determines if the Dogs can sniff the postseason.

SX I like you are hoping for the best but I think the Doggies will finish 5th or 6th.

I can't see GPS, Bros & Bond all making the cut. Of those 3 I think Bond would be favoured.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bulldog - So you're going with SB, Uni, Easts & Souths?

I think you're on the money with Uni & Easts. SB will be greatly assisted by Reds inclusions in the latter part of the season. Souths will be dangerous if they make the finals.
Still reckon Bros will be there.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Judging by GPS preseason form, they will be lucky to finish the season away from the bottom of the ladder.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bulldog - So you're going with SB, Uni, Easts & Souths?

I think you're on the money with Uni & Easts. SB will be greatly assisted by Reds inclusions in the latter part of the season. Souths will be dangerous if they make the finals.
Still reckon Bros will be there.

Filth not 100% sure on Easts I think they are really going to miss Mullins & Brandon.

And I think Sunnybank may struggle to make the 4 - they are really going to miss McIntyre and by the time they get their Reds back their season maybe done and dusted.

As good as Souths were in the latter part of 2015 I don't know whether they will see Pama Fou or Van der Wick due to 7s, Dave Fao is in Sydney (??), they won't see their Reds until finals & the pressure of being Premiers.

Your boys - Bros - how will you cover no Greene and maybe Thor? You've lost that other front rower to the Rebels - how good is your depth? How good is Dallan Murphy?

So having said that there may well be opportunities for other clubs to step up into the top 4 with Uni. I'd be very surprised if Uni didn't see post season footy.

Sadly I think it will be a tough year for the Gallopers, so those with greatest opportunity are Wests, Bond & Norths - all clubs which have heightened expectations for 2016 - the question is who will walk the talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.