• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am friends with some of the Wests boys and there is def a bit of unrest at the Bulldogs but in saying that I think it's frustration from not performing and the boys not being super keen on what the coach is putting forward! I think all they need is a couple more quality players and coach's that the players will buy in with because at the moment there not! Just what I have heard

As for GPS let's not get ahead of ourselves saying we will put 50 on them!! It's going to be a physical encounter and the boys want to be clinical on Saturday if we do that we should be in a good position for a result at yoku! Happy Friday everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be my last say on the matter, promise. I have watched the Doggies over many years and it has been sad to watch the gradual decline and lack of effort not from the boys but the coaching staff. I agree the forwards are doing well - how much better would they be if they spent more than 30 minutes a week working with the Colts forward coach(that's the kind of buy in needed BTW).

On the bye round there is a short training session on the Tuesday and then that's it until the next Tuesday - No training, no bonding, no sessions to work on weakness' or improve on strengths. If there is a reason to shorten or cancel a training session it seems that the opportunity is seized. This has nothing to do with the building of the new facilitates but more to do with a lack of enthusiasm.

I believe that the Doggies have a competitive squad that is being greatly let down. The brains trust at The Kennel can continue to ignore, make excuses for the lack of results on the field over the last 5 years but at the end of the day you need to be honest with yourselves rather than write another season completely off.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
The brains trust at The Kennel can continue to ignore, make excuses for the lack of results on the field over the last 5 years but at the end of the day you need to be honest with yourselves rather than write another season completely off.

The last successful season (sort of) the Dogs had that I can remember was 2012 when they finished with a 50% winning record. Phil Mooney was coach that year.

Before that it would have been 2007 when they made the finals as I recall.

Was 2013 the year Phil Mooney left for Japan? If so, Pat Byron must have been head coach for the last 4 seasons (including this one)?

Yes, I too have heard of the player disquiet from Dogs players over coaching this season. There are a number of season players I've had a beer with who want changes made or they will be moving on - they are sick of what's going on there.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you will find that it is easy for players in underperforming outfits in any sport to point the finger at the coach.

I am not saying for one minute that the club can't improve on the coaching front but it would be wrong to simply point the finger at the coaches.

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
The blame being passed onto the coaches seems fair enough.

Despite a strong base of players, who has Byron/Mooney gone out and recruited? The apparent 'sit and wait' recruitment strategy employed by Wests is madness considering the strong year they had last year.

Van Humphries or Dammers at the Kennel in 2016?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
T
On the bye round there is a short training session on the Tuesday and then that's it until the next Tuesday - No training, no bonding, no sessions to work on weakness' or improve on strengths. If there is a reason to shorten or cancel a training session it seems that the opportunity is seized. This has nothing to do with the building of the new facilitates but more to do with a lack of enthusiasm.

Uni dont train at all on the week of the bye rounds... Not sure you would call the Uni staff or players unenthusiastic. Sometimes boys just need a bit of time off to refresh. No one is in a better place to judge that then Pat Byron.

Also after thinking about it wouldn't Pat be the forwards coach for the team?? Maybe the colts coach helps with scrums (20min a week would be overs at most clubs) so I think thats fine.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its the players who cross the line who need to be accountable for their own performances.

If we don't have the players to reach the top 4 in Premier Rugby then you need to look into our colts level recruitment. Not only have we not had quality coming through colts for many years we also haven't had quantity.

If you are not developing players through colts then you need to supplement your Premier Grade Squad with players that you bring/buy in.

It is a difficult balancing act because if you are successful you end up losing players to Super Rugby and abroad, so you want to attract good players but not great players to your club!!!

Easts, GPS, Uni, Sunnybank & Souths - the sides that have contested the last 3 grand finals don't run out sides in 2016 that have too many guys who contested those grand finals, as Souths showed last year if you can put the right group of players together you can turn things around very quickly.

On the other hand Norths have shown this year that it takes time even when you start adding quality players to your club.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Wests might have underperformed the past few years in Premier Grade but who hasn't? Every club will go through the same period. Brothers did for a decade...and then some.

Personally, I think the Dogs aren't going too bad across the grades. Premier Reserves and Colts are strong. First time in a few years they have two colts team. A new ground will attract more players.

A big game for Brothers tomorrow. Stef Hunt moves into 10 and James to fullback.

Sylvan Rd

Frank Row (1)
Hi Guys, I have always read the forum but never posted. I feel as though I have to say something however regarding the attacks on the Wests Coaching Staff, particularly Pat Byron.

It has no doubt been a challenging year for Wests, the club is split over two venues for training and resources are stretched. To clear this up, the Premier Forwards spend at least 30 minutes every Tuesday and Thursday with a Set Piece Coach who also looks after them on game days. Pat is a good coach and whilst he himself will admit the win rate the last few seasons has been poor, it is hardly fair to point the finger solely at him. The responsibility should rest on everyone from the Board down to the Coaches and players. It is complete BS saying that he or any of the other coaches are "unenthusiastic" and I doubt there are many teams around that don't take the opportunity for a rest in Bye week! There have been many games this year in which Wests were in a winning position and couldn't quite close, it is not as if they are getting pumped every week! I hope they stick with Pat and give him the resources that any Premier team should have and I have no doubt the team will flourish.

On another note there are some good signs with Prem Colts the strongest they have been in years and with 12 guys returning next year they will be even stronger in 2017. This is the key to Prem grade retuning to the glory days, these young kids coming through that have played Colts at the Club. Prem Reserves are a young team who have shown huge improvement in 2016, they are coached by a former GPS Colts coach as well as a former captain of Logan's top side and from What I understand there is a great environment in that side and they are thoroughly enjoying themselves and improving each week.

Here's hoping to a strong finish in 2016 and a highly successful 2017 in the Wonderful new Facility at Sylvan Rd! Good luck to all teams tomorrow.

gws

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nah mate as a player we didn't execute at crucial times and went away from game plan! The coaching staff gave us what we needed we didn't deliver today unfortunately. Bond played well and won the game by executing and taking there opportunities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Game Day!

Hey guys, Match Day Burger's wrap up from the UQ v Wests Premier Grade game last weekend.

Tough day for the Dogs. UQ sitting pretty on top. Season about to open up.

https://matchdayburger.com/2016/06/...lady-beckons-literary-gusto-to-save-mismatch/

Cheers.

I don't think this piece shows much respect for the game of rugby or the Wests Rugby club and doesn't reflect well of the Uni club.

Mate you only have to look at GPS poster's "50 plus points" comment - they have a capacity to bite you on your rear end - sadly the type of arrogance outlined in this piece may well have delivered you with similar karma against Easts yesterday but for (I'm informed) Rachel Horton's help.

I wouldn't be chalking up the 2016 premiership just yet there are still twists and turns ahead and Bond & Easts recent narrow losses to Uni will give everyone else encouragement when they take on your Red Precious.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bulldog I think you will find that Match Day Burger is blog that covers a wide range of sports and is not in any way affiliated to UQ or any club/sport for that matter.

Before you go throwing your "karma" points around maybe look into it a few things first. Their webpage would be a good start

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bulldog I think you will find that Match Day Burger is blog that covers a wide range of sports and is not in any way affiliated to UQ or any club/sport for that matter.

Before you go throwing your "karma" points around maybe look into it a few things first. Their webpage would be a good start

Red Heavy - if the article is indicative of the rest of their website - I will give it a miss thanks.

What happened with the Heavies yesterday? A one point win over the team running 2nd last? Just an off day or have they fallen back into the field.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Red Heavy - if the article is indicative of the rest of their website - I will give it a miss thanks.

What happened with the Heavies yesterday? A one point win over the team running 2nd last? Just an off day or have they fallen back into the field.

I don't think this piece shows much respect for the game of rugby or the Wests Rugby club and doesn't reflect well of the Uni club.

Mate you only have to look at GPS poster's "50 plus points" comment - they have a capacity to bite you on your rear end - sadly the type of arrogance outlined in this piece may well have delivered you with similar karma against Easts yesterday but for (I'm informed) Rachel Horton's help.

I wouldn't be chalking up the 2016 premiership just yet there are still twists and turns ahead and Bond & Easts recent narrow losses to Uni will give everyone else encouragement when they take on your Red Precious.

Its been a busy week for the boys with the forwards out finding random people to write nice things about them on the internet so they feel good about themselves and the backs off looking for some chalk that writes on silverware

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What are you trying to say Red Heavy - I am not following your thought pattern here?

All I said was that I didn't think the Burger article was a great piece of work, and that it showed little respect for my club.

I think I'm entitled to form such an opinion and state same in response to the poster who provided us with the link.

This is not sour grapes it's just important to remember that all clubs (incl. Uni) have been where the Bulldogs are at the moment, but we won't be here forever, it won't be this year but we will rise up the ladder and I will enjoy the run up the ladder.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
It was in reply to your snide comments about uni (not match day burger). That we only won against easts because of the ref, that we have already chalked up the 2016 premiership (until of course you told us not to) and that because we only just got up over last years minor premiers that something must be majorly wrong.
Personally I find that is disrespectful to my club and to Easts who played bloody well.

The article had nothing to do with Uni, its just one journos opinion so if you have issue take it up with him/her not my club.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone at the Wests vs Sunnybank game on the weekend? How did the scrum battle go? How did we let Sunnybank get 50 on us?

Pretty ordinary defence from Wests apparently plus two pushover tries in first half.

One of the Sunnybank tries in second half scored by Rex Tapaui off the bench!

Status
Not open for further replies.