• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
That relegation certainly cost Logan some players.

Playing first grade against Logan this year was tough, but enjoyable. Physical and skill-full!! Always a nice trip out there too. Awesome facilities!

Imagine what promotion would do? Attract not only new players to the code, but existing players who have to travel 20+mins to their nearest QPR club.

Geez, from Norths I could drive 20 odd mins and be at either Brothers, Souths, Easts, GPS, Wests, UQ and Sunnybank on a good traffic day.
QRU could throw a blanket over the current catchment area and we would all be nice and snuggly!

With the "Ballymore Kid" concept, it shows there are pathways to bigger things.

Logan, Ipswich and a north of the Pine River team (Caboolture? North Lakes capturing Redcliffe etc?) would be pretty good inclusion.

It may take time to get results, but managed well, a 12 team QPR competition would be great for QLD!!

Shute has 12 doesn't it?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
What are the regions in QPR then? North Brisbane you have Norths, Brothers, & GPS. Inner West you have University & Wests. East Brisbane has Easts and the Southside has Souths and Sunnybank with Bond down the Gold Coast.

Could QPR be changed to a more District based competition with Rep style teams, with the Brisbane Premiership remaining an expanded SEQ competition of Clubs? You could then have 5 or 6 Brisbane teams, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast/Moreton Bay, Logan, Ipswich, and even a Darling Downs, Central Queensland & North Queensland Rep teams. Really build up a proper pathway from club to region then to NRC.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That would be a great idea if they were starting a new comp in an area with no history. The current clubs have between 15 and 110 years of history behind them so you'd upset quite a few if they went that way.
Also not much money for travel so central and north Qld will be ruled out.
Premier rugby is the pinnacle of grassroots rugby but its still grassroots rugby where guys have to pay to play and clubs run on the smell of an oily rag.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Paty305 your comment:
Really build up a proper pathway from club to region then to NRC.

I'd argue we have that now with Premier Rugby -> NRC -> Super Rugby

I don't think the "region" is relevant anymore because this talent tends to get picked up in schoolboys rugby and progresses through the academy systems.

Example of Schoolboy star: Jake McIntyre (Alstonville NSW):
Aust Schoolboy, Reds Academy, Aust U20, QPR(Sunnybank), Bne City, Reds

Example of Schoolboy star: Jonah Placid (Rockhampton/TGS):
Aust Schoolboy, Reds Academy, Aust U20, QPR(Easts), Reds, Melbourne Rising/Rebels;

Example of late bloomer: Angus Cottrell(Bne/BBC): QPR(Wests) to Super Rugby(Force)

There are far more opportunities for guys to work there way up to professional rugby, than there was 10/20 years ago now that Australia has 5
Super Rugby Franchises.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Paty305 your comment:
Really build up a proper pathway from club to region then to NRC.

I'd argue we have that now with Premier Rugby -> NRC -> Super Rugby

I don't think the "region" is relevant anymore because this talent tends to get picked up in schoolboys rugby and progresses through the academy systems.

Example of Schoolboy star: Jake McIntyre (Alstonville NSW):
Aust Schoolboy, Reds Academy, Aust U20, QPR(Sunnybank), Bne City, Reds

Example of Schoolboy star: Jonah Placid (Rockhampton/TGS):
Aust Schoolboy, Reds Academy, Aust U20, QPR(Easts), Reds, Melbourne Rising/Rebels;

Example of late bloomer: Angus Cottrell(Bne/BBC): QPR(Wests) to Super Rugby(Force)

There are far more opportunities for guys to work there way up to professional rugby, than there was 10/20 years ago now that Australia has 4
Super Rugby Franchises.
Ahmm....... 5 Super Rugby franchises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Very good points Bulldog... I agree, especially in the last 2 years there is a clearer pathway to higher honours.... BUT how many other players in the outer regions of Brisbane (Ipswich, Toowoomba, Caboolture, Sunny Coast) are just plodding along, plying their trade and not thinking anything of it, but may be good enough to go on to a higher level, and they don't really realise it?? It may be the same for some guys playing Subbies I suppose?

Maybe they think, or are under the impression that playing Premier Grade Rugby in the QPR may be out of their league? They may think it is of a higher standard, out of their reach. "Only 9 premier teams, will be hard to get in to one, may as well not worry about it" OR maybe they just live an extra 20mins away and cant afford the travel 2-3 times during the week for trainings.

In saying that, those that want fed, will go to where the food is, BUT what if the dinner table was a little bigger? (that makes no sense after I typed it :D)

Getting some games on TV would help.

Not having a dig, and taking Bond out of the equation... how far do UQ, Easts, Souths, Wests, GPS... actually any of us really have to travel to play our furthest away game? We have it pretty easy in the big smoke to be honest.

I think if the QPR opens up the door and gets a 12 team QPR going, getting more QPR games out to the other populated regions, it will attract more talent to our game, increasing the talent pool whilst raising the standard.

E.g. I'm a Premier Grade fullback... currently I only have to out play 8 other fullbacks this season to get a decent shot at NRC.... where as with more teams, will mean more challenges - so I will have to out play 11 other fullbacks in a 12 team comp.

May also apply to guys playing reggies at the more successful clubs who may really want a crack at Prems more consistently. An opportunity elsewhere (I suppose that is already an option though)

Anyway, I make no sense, as per.... back to work!

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey TrainerGB I heard the other day that Andrew Taylor has been moved on from Norths and is now back at Yoku rd? I thought surely this can't be right Squizzy heading back to GPS after Herbert & Mcwhirter gave him the arse 2yrs ago with dozen or so other coaches!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeah I've recently heard that also. Not sure what has happened there, I like Squizzy, a good coach and a better bloke! So hopefully he has left on good terms?!?!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep fairly sure Andrew Taylor will be having a role in the grades program at GPS for 2016, something to do with Brisbane 1st Grade I believe.

From what I've heard it was a bit of surprise to everyone that Norths showed him the door.

GPSMick

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks TheBigDog for clarifying that!

The only Surprising thing to me is why would you go back to GPS when Herbert is still there running the show! Pretty comical that the one person that gave him the arse in 2013 he's now back working with!

Shungmao

Stan Wickham (3)
Yep fairly sure Andrew Taylor will be having a role in the grades program at GPS for 2016, something to do with Brisbane 1st Grade I believe.

From what I've heard it was a bit of surprise to everyone that Norths showed him the door.
I was told he was offered 1st grade at Norths instead of Colts but declined and decided to go back to GPS.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Geez, Sunnybank will be strong in the finals for 2016 if they make it.

1) Hirsimaki
2) Tasi
3) Holmes
4) Mitchell
5) Lukhan Tui
6) Fakaosilea
7) Gill
8) Schatz
9) Lucas
10) McIntyre
11) Laloifi
12) Taefu
13) R Tapuai
14) Lee
15) Third (if available)

And Souths;

1) Feao
2) Casey
3) Talakai
4) Williamson
5) Bennett
6) Minenko
7) Halaifonua
8) Turner
9) Malolua
10) Tela
11) M Tela/ Kuridrani
12) Kerevi
13) Feauai-Sautia
14) Van Der Walt
15) Muirhead

Please note that these are only teams based on apparent player movements. Some of these players may be going elsewhere.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I heard 7 have been trying to get this going for 12-18 months and have hit road blocks from the QRU. No doubt its licencing rights or something like that that cant be got around very easily.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
So most Premier squads would have been training for a few months now as a pre-season block before the xmas holidays.

Anyone spotted any interesting movements, either players or coaches?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know this an incredibly self interested statement but I really think 2016 will be the breakthrough season that Wests have been threatening for 2/3 years now. They probably won't make the 4 but they will be there or there abouts.

I think Brothers will be big contenders provided they get Greene back injury free post Super Rugby. Their forwards will be strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.