• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
@the King - I was hoping the Tuttles were coming to Brothers. Both played their juniors at the club. Unfortunately, I doubt they will return.

Pushed too hard in their junior days... There seemed to be a win at all cost vibe at Brothers and they ended up feeling alienated.

Scrum doctor

Bob McCowan (2)
Hearing whispers that Jack and James Tuttle are linked to Norths, as is big Campbell Magnay.

Lots of UQ players approached by Norths, and the mass exodus from GPS is looking like Norths will have quite the stable to play with.

Where are these whispers coming from? Which players from GPS and Uni are off to Norths?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Not sure if anyone from Uni has actually jumped ship. I've just heard that plenty ("almost half") were approached over the off-season. I have a feeling that not many will have taken up the offer, though... Uni had an average age of 20 or thereabouts throughout 2015. Young guys get plenty of opportunity at the club. They've got no real reason to leave as selection is on form, not according to how many years of service you've had.

GPS players aren't all headed to Norths, though. Brett Picone makes Souths a pretty attractive destination to all the guys he used to coach at GPS, especially those who feel alienated by new coach Dammers' coaching style. Picone was the complete opposite - adored by everyone he coaches.

I know some Brothers juniors are headed back to Brothers from GPS too - Sammy Grasso for one will be looking to bounce back after taking 2015 off to rehab an injury. I hear a few other Nudgee Old Boys will be heading back to their spiritual heartland at Crosby too, but I'm not sure which.

Grasso will be a huge loss for GPS. Tuttle only played a handful of games for GPS this year, but the games they did have him they thrashed an in-form Sunnybank team at Old Mac. Having a good halfback would have made a world of difference at Yoku Road- Edan Campbell-O'Brien was not one, and it showed.

Comparisons to Tiger Tale are a double edged sword, aren't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
@Bulldog, who would be the contenders at 9 for Wests?

Sam Caslick is the only guy who springs to mind

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
@FilthRugby, with Slipper's injury and Ben Daley resembling Frankenstein's monster with all the strapping holding him together, I'd wager that the Reds will start Daley, Fainga'a, Holmes, with Sam Talakai and Sef Fa'agase locking down the bench with Ready. Tupou will probably be held on standby for when Daley breaks down again. A matter of when, not if I suspect

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
@Bulldog, who would be the contenders at 9 for Wests?

Sam Caslick is the only guy who springs to mind

Halfback stocks at the Kennel aren't a strong suit but depth of talent is an achilies heal across the board - something which the club had been trying to improve upon but we just haven't had quantity or quality through the colts of recent times but I think it is a real focus of the Board to build it through the colts.

Losing Smith would also require the goal kicking slot to be filled.

He has probably been the most consistent player in the last two seasons and he deserved his NRC opportunity just a shame that the presence of Frisby restricted those opportunities.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Tupou is a THP

Tupou played both equally during the NRC, Tighthead at Brothers.

He's still 19 years old, his scrummaging position hasn't been set in stone yet. Still learning w/ Stiles

T

TOCC

I don't remember Taniela starting at loose-head prop through the NRC, from memory he only ever started at tight-head with Sef Fa'agase shifting to loose-head prop to accommodate him. Leilua and Fa'agase shared loosehead prop, whilst Hirsimaki and Tupou played tight head.

It doesn't make sense for him to play LHP at the Reds either, this would give them 5 loose-head props and only 2 tight head props.

For the Reds, Daley, Slipper, Paraka and Fa'agase are the loose-head props, while Holmes, Talakai and Tupou are the tight heads.

Fa'agase plays both sides, but he seems more suited to LHP.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I honestly believe that Tupou is still a year or two of experience off being up to Super Rugby at scrum time - his ability with the ball and in defence were there to be seen at NRC & QPR level but he is still very young.

I think the Reds have put a lot into Sef, Talakai & Paraka so these guys will get their chances ahead of Tupou. The Thor's time will come.

Apologies I have forgotten his name he plays for Souths - is it Feo - played for Bne in the first NRC but I think was injured for NRC'15 should be back in the mix also.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Feao played for NSW country in NRC2.

Kite was in the Viking squad last year wasn't he?

The Reds have done a good job building depth at prop. I haven't seen enough of Tupou to say if he's ready for Super rugby yet but his involvement in the squad is only going to help him.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Dave Feao played for NSW Country in the NRC, but didn't make many waves. That Souths prop rotation thing is really starting to hamstring his opportunities.

Phil Kite is down at the Royals in Canberra, pushing for a Brumbies spot. Might have got there too if not for Albert Anae's signing.

I'm not sure the Reds have much faith in Pettowa Paraka. I watched an NRC match with one of the injured Reds props who moaned about his lack of game sense and poor conditioning.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find that all the chat about GPS players jumping ship, specifically to Norths, has been blown out of proportion. Their pre-season squad has been very strong with many of the names linked to other clubs being involved.

On that note, I have heard that Norths financial backer isn't providing the money they were originally expecting and therefore had to limit what they were offering players.

I do believe, however, that a few of GPS Reds players have moved to Souths but not 100% confirmed as obviously they have been training with the Reds, not their Premier clubs. The Picone and Fijian community links have played a major part there.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I don't remember Taniela starting at loose-head prop through the NRC, from memory he only ever started at tight-head with Sef Fa'agase shifting to loose-head prop to accommodate him. Leilua and Fa'agase shared loosehead prop, whilst Hirsimaki and Tupou played tight head.

I think you have the right of it. I flicked through my game notes and spotted Tupou as 17 a few times. Now that you mention it, he did play Tighthead and Sef shifted to accommodate. Cheers

T

TOCC

I honestly believe that Tupou is still a year or two of experience off being up to Super Rugby at scrum time - his ability with the ball and in defence were there to be seen at NRC & QPR level but he is still very young.

I think the Reds have put a lot into Sef, Talakai & Paraka so these guys will get their chances ahead of Tupou. The Thor's time will come.

Yes I agree with all these comments, and there is no rush with Holmes still around for 1 more season. As it stands, I think this is the current standings of Reds props:

THP
1. Holmes
2. Talakai
3. Tupou

LHP
1. Slipper
2. Daley
3. Fa'agase
4 Paraka

Despite all the chat been about THP, LHP is probably the position up most for debate. Daley is ranked 2nd IMO, but that is more due to experience then his ability as it currently stands, with Slipper out injured i think Fa'agase and Paraka are a bit too inexperienced to be starting Super Rugby props from Rd1.

T

TOCC

I will copy this conversation to the Reds thread where it's more relevant

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
While on the subject of props, I'm excited to watch how the Premier Rugby guys develop this year.

Easts' pair AJ Campbell and Kirwan Sanday both got some NRC experience. Kirwan is real shit hot. He's missed games in 2015 to accomodate his Fiji Warriors (Fiji B) commitments.

Sione Na'a Helu from Wests will be looking to consolidate his good reputation earned in 2015. Mick Lee is apparently on track for another year as well, so the Doggies should have a pretty solid core up front.

Rueben Leilua, Shambeckler Vui, Matt Randell, Campbell Wakely and Reds U20s hooker Josh Webb might all be competing for positions in the front row. Tonga Ma'afu would have been one of Norths targets, but I've no idea whether he's rejoined his former club. Front row should be a great area of strength for Uni. Shambeckler Vui in particular is a rising star. He's got everything.

Sunnybank should have Benroy Sala returning from an ACL tear, Haydn Hirsimaki, Shane Tasi.. A deep group of front rowers. They'll be among the strongest again in 2016 no doubt.

Brothers will have Matt Mafi for the season unless Fainga'a or Ready get hurt, and probably Nella as we've established in this thread. Does that leave Michael Bermingham to pack at loose head? :S

Souths will no doubt start Markus Vanzati, Maile Ngauamo and Dave Feao, with guys like Eric Teofilo off the bunch. That's got to be one of the top three scrummaging units in the comp.

Norths - Garrath Ryan? Mm..

Bond - Alex Mafi is going to have a big year. Sam Clifton was a former Australian Schoolboy as well at Tighthead, so that youth with a bit of experience around should be promising. Reserve hooker Israel Rapata is a real big unit, so we'll wait and see how he turns out.

That leaves GPS - totally up in the air. Former Reds U20s hooker Feleti Kaituu is managed by Brett Picone, but he's playing at GPS to keep his distance from having that conflict of interest issue. That would probably rule him out of running to Souths. Ryan Freney's personality would probably clash with Dammers, so I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship. Those are only two scrummagers of note at the club I believe.

If anyone knows anything about those player's movements, let us know. I reckon that would constitute big news

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
While on the subject of props, I'm excited to watch how the Premier Rugby guys develop this year.

Easts' pair AJ Campbell and Kirwan Sanday both got some NRC experience. Kirwan is real shit hot. He's missed games in 2015 to accomodate his Fiji Warriors (Fiji B) commitments.

Sione Na'a Helu from Wests will be looking to consolidate his good reputation earned in 2015. Mick Lee is apparently on track for another year as well, so the Doggies should have a pretty solid core up front.

Rueben Leilua, Shambeckler Vui, Matt Randell, Campbell Wakely and Reds U20s hooker Josh Webb might all be competing for positions in the front row. Tonga Ma'afu would have been one of Norths targets, but I've no idea whether he's rejoined his former club. Front row should be a great area of strength for Uni. Shambeckler Vui in particular is a rising star. He's got everything.

Sunnybank should have Benroy Sala returning from an ACL tear, Haydn Hirsimaki, Shane Tasi.. A deep group of front rowers. They'll be among the strongest again in 2016 no doubt.

Brothers will have Matt Mafi for the season unless Fainga'a or Ready get hurt, and probably Nella as we've established in this thread. Does that leave Michael Bermingham to pack at loose head? :S

Souths will no doubt start Markus Vanzati, Maile Ngauamo and Dave Feao, with guys like Eric Teofilo off the bunch. That's got to be one of the top three scrummaging units in the comp.

Norths - Garrath Ryan? Mm..

Bond - Alex Mafi is going to have a big year. Sam Clifton was a former Australian Schoolboy as well at Tighthead, so that youth with a bit of experience around should be promising. Reserve hooker Israel Rapata is a real big unit, so we'll wait and see how he turns out.

That leaves GPS - totally up in the air. Former Reds U20s hooker Feleti Kaituu is managed by Brett Picone, but he's playing at GPS to keep his distance from having that conflict of interest issue. That would probably rule him out of running to Souths. Ryan Freney's personality would probably clash with Dammers, so I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped ship. Those are only two scrummagers of note at the club I believe.

If anyone knows anything about those player's movements, let us know. I reckon that would constitute big news

A number of inaccuracies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.