• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeah yeah, the fields weren't given enough time I think. A little rough and could do with a mow, but to be honest, we play rugby and not lawn bowls so the grounds are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
A Mr Sam Caslick scored a try for Randwick in the final of the Shute Shield Sevens comp today.

Has the Doggie gone galloping?

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Filth my apologies my views were based upon Brothers not having Fowler (2015 #9 now at the Rebels??) and Greene missing much of the season due to Reds duties but Grasso & Tuttle are handy replacements.

Mind you I do believe that Grasso's best years are behind him. I thought his best years were when he played for Bros I don't think he was ever at his best at GPS so maybe he will be revitalised in his return to Crosby.

I think Easts will be relying on another Nudgee product in Pillz to fill the void left by Mullins' retirement.

When are we going to stop chucking these schoolboys into grade? let them develop for Christ's sake!

Luvmyrugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
When are we going to stop throwing these schoolboys into grade? Letthem develop for Christ's sake!
Especially #10s.....the quarterback has to spend years honing his game management skills; reaching deep down into himself to look for ways to get his side home. He must have a PlanB and PlanC and be able to guide his team through them.
These kids are all fantastic rugby players, fast, strong etc but they have not learned their trade!

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Easts will be relying on another Nudgee product in Pillz to fill the void left by Mullins' retirement.
Pilzy was carted off the field injured at Ballymore on the weekend against Darling Downs Rep in an U20s trial - possible ACL. What a shame, he looked in good form.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
When are we going to stop throwing these schoolboys into grade? Letthem develop for Christ's sake!
Especially #10s...the quarterback has to spend years honing his game management skills; reaching deep down into himself to look for ways to get his side home. He must have a PlanB and PlanC and be able to guide his team through them.
These kids are all fantastic rugby players, fast, strong etc but they have not learned their trade!

Ideally you'd let a guy play at least a year of Colts rugby so they can find their place in club land. They can then be used off the bench for Premier or Prem Reserve once they have settled in if the coaching staff think they are up for it.

The problem is that some clubs don't have depth and need these guys to step up straight away. Also a lot of these players want to play Premier as they want to be playing at the highest level they can as soon as possible.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know who and where the reds u20's will be playing their trial games against this weekend? I do believe it is a Brisbane Premier & Reserve side.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ideally you'd let a guy play at least a year of Colts rugby so they can find their place in club land. They can then be used off the bench for Premier or Prem Reserve once they have settled in if the coaching staff think they are up for it.

The problem is that some clubs don't have depth and need these guys to step up straight away. Also a lot of these players want to play Premier as they want to be playing at the highest level they can as soon as possible.

On this front I believe that Dalgleish (Uni) could be one of the best #10s in the comp over the next year or two - he's played Aust 20s, NRC, was in the Uni premiership side of 2014(?), seems to be level headed and has a good all round game - I think he could be the key to Uni in 2016.

Another potential #10 that the Reds expected too much too soon from was UJ Seuteni who now gets games/minutes at Toulon.

It really doesn't matter what position these young schoolboy stars play (another e.g. Jonah Placid) they need time to develop their game and Premier Grade is a wonderful nursery where they can.

In my opinion the Tongan Thor would probably be better served with another year in QPR but it would appear that they will throw him to the wolves in Super Rugby this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't see Thor playing Super Rugby this season. Perhaps an appearance or two off the bench at the end of the season.

Slipper and Holmes are our top two. After that we have Talakai and Daley with Sef Fa'agase after them. Thor needs a couple of injuries before getting the call up.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Speaking of schoolboys thrown in to the deep end of Premier Grade, Michael Gunn would have to be the short favourite for the Reds open side in 2017.

Like Thor, I worry Gunn needs more time developing his physicality in Premier Rugby before he's ready to start in Super Rugby.

I made the comparison a few times this year that Gunn was a poor man's Michael Hooper. Big engine, good speed, but maybe short on power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
You probably could have 2 teams, would rather Logan and Ipswich get them first.

I think it's time however that Grade rugby is changed in the way it works. That is teams should be properly graded, either by promotion/relegation or a nomination process.

If a club's 2nd XV isn't good enough to play 2nd Grade then they should be playing 3rd Grade. If Uni has two teams good enough to play 1st Grade then they should. You could have multiple 10 team grades if you include the suburban teams as well.

Then you can spin Premier Squads off, align non premier teams to Premier clubs and build a proper district competition in QPR with the Gold Coast, and maybe even Sunny Coast teams, joining the grades.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Who are the Reds U20s playing in this week's curtain-raiser? I've heard people mention both Easts and Wests

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Who are the Reds U20s playing in this week's curtain-raiser? I've heard people mention both Easts and Wests

Is it a curtain-raiser (on Friday) though ?
Or is it on Saturday ? Last I heard, there was a U15 JGC match as a curtain-raiser.

QPRtv

Frank Row (1)
Premier Rugby is Back

Wests Bulldogs first hit out this Saturday at Ballymore against the QLD U20s.
Premier Reserves at 1:30pm with Premier Grade kicking off at 4pm.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Easts' search continues for a halfback for 2016.

Eli Pilz is finished for the year after picking up an ACL + meniscus tear in the Reds 20s

Status
Not open for further replies.