• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A number of exciting games this week in the penultimate round of Queensland Premier Rugby.

Sunnybank vs. University (Game of the Round)

The Students will travel to the Dragon's Lair in hope of continuing their 13 game undefeated streak. The Bank require two bonus points in order to cement their spot in the finals. Premier Colts will be hotly contested as 2nd plays 3rd.

Prediction: UQ

Souths vs. Easts

Similarly to University, Souths will be hoping to continue their current form by beating a resurgent Easts' outfit at Chipsy Wood Oval. It's Old Boys Day at the Nest; a vocal home crowd is expected.

Prediction: Souths

Norths vs. GPS

A bonus point win for the Gallopers is required in order to keep their semi-final ambitions alive. Standing in their way is an ever-improving Norths outfit. Norths will be hoping for at least two bonus points in order to avoid finishing 2nd last. It will be a close encounter but the Gallopers are strong at Yoku Rd.

Prediction: Jeeps

Wests vs. Brothers

The Brethren will head over to Kenmore to take on the Doggies in their annual Old Boys Day. 2016 marks ten years since the Dogs last drank from the Hospitals Cup. Bulldog and SouthernX will provide more details of that game as the recollections are too painful for the Crosby Park faithful.
The Dogs will be looking for an upset but Brothers are riding a wave of momentum with an under strength side.

Prediction: Brothers (in a close one)

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
Any chance that some Prem Reserve coaches will step up or be made offers to switch clubs to fill some of these roles?
Correct on many fronts here .. bond wrong and add a couple of assistant coaches eg.. souths going with picone and maybe one at easts getting the punt too

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Gps can still make the finals. They need to beat Uni with a BP.

Apparently Uni scored on the last play of the match to take away the 2nd bonus point Sunnybank needed to knock us out of the finals.

I think we've got this - Uni have won what 14 or 15 on the trot - due to lose one. And they're at home where they look particularly vulnerable - only beat Bond by 1 point at home and Easts by 1 point at home in last month.

I know where I'll be next Saturday at 3.20 pm - watching GPS knock off the minor premiers and at the same time sending Sunnybank packing as they score their 4th try :)

Aussie Bulldog

Frank Row (1)
Its a shame the score line blew out yesterday between Wests and Brothers because it was a very entertaining match. Our forwards absolutely dominated brothers at set piece but unfortunately their backs out classed our backs by far. I hear all the talk about getting a new coach for next year and after watching a number of games this year including yesterday I may have to agree. Correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding Wests don't have a forwards coach but they have Pat Byron and Phil Mooney coaching the backs and the colts coach takes care of the set piece. If that is the case what on earth do the backs do at training during the week because they look like a bunch of talented individual players playing as individuals and not as a cohesive unit and no changes have been made to the backline combinations if my memory serves correctly. If the coaching structure stays the same next year I just hope they finally get a backline to complement the forwards. It would be good to see Gillespie back running the backline and Reuben Leiua leading the forward pack at the new Kennel next season. Hopefully the beginning of a new era for the mighty bulldogs.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently Uni scored on the last play of the match to take away the 2nd bonus point Sunnybank needed to knock us out of the finals.

I think we've got this - Uni have won what 14 or 15 on the trot - due to lose one. And they're at home where they look particularly vulnerable - only beat Bond by 1 point at home and Easts by 1 point at home in last month.

I know where I'll be next Saturday at 3.20 pm - watching GPS knock off the minor premiers and at the same time sending Sunnybank packing as they score their 4th try :)

I commend your optimism J8 but I just can't see it happening.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
I commend your optimism J8 but I just can't see it happening.

That's what you told me last week and yet here we are, fate in our own hands, not having to rely on other results, just needing to win one match and score four tries :)

Even your Dogs were able to put three tries on Uni at home a few weeks ago so not too much of a stretch to believe that a team with a far superior record can put four tries on them.

I also won't be surprised if Uni rest a few players this week to have everyone fully fit for major semi against Brothers the following week. They may even be quite happy to see Sunnybank knocked out of the finals!

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Don't just assume that Uni will play Brothers in Major semi. If Easts play like they played in second half against Souths (but Souths did only have 14 players for 12 minutes and 13 players for 8 minutes) they are a big chance of knocking off the Filth without giving them a bonus point. Souths could get 5 points against Norths and finish equal with one more win than the Filth. This would put Souths into Major semi. So much still in play.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Its a shame the score line blew out yesterday between Wests and Brothers because it was a very entertaining match. Our forwards absolutely dominated brothers at set piece but unfortunately their backs out classed our backs by far. I hear all the talk about getting a new coach for next year and after watching a number of games this year including yesterday I may have to agree. Correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding Wests don't have a forwards coach but they have Pat Byron and Phil Mooney coaching the backs and the colts coach takes care of the set piece. If that is the case what on earth do the backs do at training during the week because they look like a bunch of talented individual players playing as individuals and not as a cohesive unit and no changes have been made to the backline combinations if my memory serves correctly. If the coaching structure stays the same next year I just hope they finally get a backline to complement the forwards. It would be good to see Gillespie back running the backline and Reuben Leiua leading the forward pack at the new Kennel next season. Hopefully the beginning of a new era for the mighty bulldogs.

To be fair to Phil Mooney I'm not sure he can be described as the backs coach. On the Bulldogs website his title is 'coaching consultant'. That sort of fits as I am told he is not always at training and does not attend all games, for instance he was not there on Saturday. If the coaching structure stays the same we will be in huge trouble. Your impression of the backs is inline with mine - very talented but all playing as individuals. So many tries have gone begging simply because they refuse to pass.....
Yes the Doggies have had to play at Kenmore this year but that is not the reason for this years lack of performance and should no be used as an excuse. If it is what is the excuse for the preceding 3 seasons?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whether Sunnybank or GPS secure 4th spot both will only have won 8 of 16 games (50%) - this is short of what's been required in previous years. How many did Souths win last year in the H&A season before they won 3 finals in 3 weeks?

Clearly that's been because the teams that will finish 5th - 8th in GPS, Bond, Easts & Norths have won more games than normal.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Maybe the players at west need the punt not the coach ..

Appears you may get your wish Realdeal with an exodus under way from Wests.

Will give the 2016 Colts a better chance of playing Premier Grade next year so the club will have to focus on retention of those young players and try to rebuild over next few years.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well it can't really get any worse than it is now but hopefully the new Sylvan Road facilities can be the catalyst to turn things around - if there are some lads who want to abandon ship then show them the door because real Bulldogs will want to stay and right the ship.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Well it can't really get any worse than it is now but hopefully the new Sylvan Road facilities can be the catalyst to turn things around - if there are some lads who want to abandon ship then show them the door because real Bulldogs will want to stay and right the ship.

I think players leaving will actually help you Bulldog. Yes, they are quality players but the combinations clearly aren't working and there are a lot of unhappy players.

Unhappy players are never going to play well so best for them to join the clubs they've already started approaching and start enjoying their rugby again which may allow them to shine.

Whereas your Colts appear on the up as a group. Yes, it will take a couple of years for them to build into being high standard Premier Grade players but the best chance of a revival is a clean out and let the young guys start playing Premier Grade next year.

Whether the existing coaches are the right ones to lead that revival or whether the Premier Colts coaches should take over is a separate question.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be interesting to see whether the likes of Nabuli and Kuridrani (doubt Frisby would due to the Wallabies) backup after the Reds game and turn out for GPS to try and get them over the line against Uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.