• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
What's amazing is that even with so many kids flying south chasing opportunities - not just in Sydney but in Melbourne and Canberra too - the Reds U20s program still goes undefeated, winning back-to-back National Championships.

There's going to be some great talent filtering back into the club scene over the next two to three years

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Bond Uni v GPS yesterday

Flickr or Facebook

33510809981_d5ec0a1fe0_z_d.jpg

32797485944_1589b28792_z_d.jpg

32833566103_64d92854cd_z_d.jpg

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As predicted, UQ, Bank and GPS appear to be the three strongest teams at the moment. Brothers were okay yesterday against a spirited Wests outfit who came back strong.

2/2 in Premier Colts. Well done Bulldog.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes great start to the season for Prem colts as I have said here before that points well to the future.

However the thing that has drawn my attention in the season todate is the performance of Logan (see below) - the greater good of Qld Rugby is my motivation here.

Round 1 v GPS; Round 2 v Easts
Prem Res 7-34; 12-43;
1st Grade 0-69; 0-54;
2nd Grade Forfeit; For
3rd Grade For; For
Colts 1 For; 14-37

Now the last thing QPR needs is another Sunshine Coast Stingrays.

So should Logan be admitted to QPR in 2018?

Should they be merged with Bond so that the merged entity is able to compete in all grades?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Yes great start to the season for Prem colts as I have said here before that points well to the future.

However the thing that has drawn my attention in the season todate is the performance of Logan (see below) - the greater good of Qld Rugby is my motivation here.

Round 1 v GPS; Round 2 v Easts
Prem Res 7-34; 12-43;
1st Grade 0-69; 0-54;
2nd Grade Forfeit; For
3rd Grade For; For
Colts 1 For; 14-37

Now the last thing QPR needs is another Sunshine Coast Stingrays.

So should Logan be admitted to QPR in 2018?

Should they be merged with Bond so that the merged entity is able to compete in all grades?

I don't think they should be playing Reserve Grade this year, let alone Prems next year. We are going to lose an entire senior club if it keeps going like this. Personally, I don't think a merger with Bond would work. If there was going to be a 'Gold Coast' Saints Logan should partner with Nerang, Helensvale, Coomera and the like for QPR comps, and have a stand alone grades club (so like a Regional Rep side for Logan and the Northern half of the Gold Coast.) Either that or have regional Ipswich-Logan team in QPR with the Rangers, Saints, Beenleigh & Goodna working together.

On another note, I think Caboolture looks like a really good opportunity to extend the Brisbane Grades comp to 10 teams. I think with the size of their Junior club, plus a solid financial backing that they could fill out 3 grades and maybe even a Colts side.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
King Said- "There's going to be some great talent filtering back into the club scene over the next two to three years"

As long as if these kids don't get picked up they dont throw there arms in the air and give footy away

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
add Jameson Shultz and Maclean Jones to that nsw to qld list. Only so many spots though so can blame kids chasing a dream

Red my beef isn't so much with these kids chasing greener pastures it is more to do with why we aren't keeping these guys in Qld Rugby - I am well aware that we can't keep them all but I am just concerned about the pattern (leaking talent to the Waratahs) when the three I mentioned along with McLean & Schulltz - could be in the Reds set-up being mentored by Smith, Quade, Moore, Brad Thorn, etc and gaining experience playing Premier Rugby & NRC.

Surely if they were showed a bit of love and given a plan to reach Super Rugby standard in 3 years then I think you could keep some if not all of them but it seems that once they are finished with at U20s level the Reds set them free and they are on their own - not feeling the love - we could list a whole heap of players that have fallen into this category in the last 5/6 years and include guys like Greene, Butler & Placid who did get a shot at Super Rugby with the Reds but were quickly passed over.

Guys like Harry Parker or a David Faeo who play Aust U20s and possibly won't play higher than NRC are incredible valuable in rising the standard of rugby in Queensland by simply having 10 year QPR careers for their clubs. By losing guys to other Aust Franchises (or overseas) diminishes the standard of QPR and raising the standard of the local comps in Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

I think one player that has really benefitted from a mentoring approach (from Brad Thorn) has been Izack Rhodda. It seems to me that Rhodda was a real project player for Thorne - and well done to both of them in this regard.

I am sure there are plenty more stories like Rhodda out there, but lets strive to keep talent in Queensland because by doing so it will push the Reds up the Super Rugby table.

We need to ensure that the talent in the Qld U20s over the last two years filters through to the Reds over the next 3/4 years rather than having the eyes picked out of these squads ('16 & '17) by other Australian Franchises promising these guys an easy passage into Super Rugby.

As it stands with the likely reduction of 5 Aust Franchises into 4 under the proposed Super Rugby agreement there will be a whole flood of players from the outgoing franchise into the remaining 4 franchise teams - so guys who are in the U20s this year might just have to show a bit of patience - we all know "patience" is not a virtue abundant amongst modern youth - so it is going to be tough few years ahead for this crop of U20s players but the cream will rise to the top - slower than it might have in the past!!!!

Mentoring will be the key in my honest opinion.

Fortheteam

Frank Row (1)
Souths played the last 36 minutes with only 14 on the field.

That's true. I'm not sure it's the reason though. I was worried about the forwards. Compared to the Prem Reserves game where the forwards were running and the team was structured, I'm wondering why they haven't tried a switch around. It is only round 2 and it was against Uni who are undoubtedly one of the fittest teams in the comp. Still, it will be interesting to see what happens!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bulldog - Gotta allow Logan into the comp to take their lumps. they won't win overnight but with solid recruitment from that large pacific islander playing base in the Logan catchment i'm sure its nothing but onwards & upwards from when they enter prems.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Red my beef isn't so much with these kids chasing greener pastures it is more to do with why we aren't keeping these guys in Qld Rugby - I am well aware that we can't keep them all but I am just concerned about the pattern (leaking talent to the Waratahs) when the three I mentioned along with McLean & Schulltz - could be in the Reds set-up being mentored by Smith, Quade, Moore, Brad Thorn, etc and gaining experience playing Premier Rugby & NRC.

Surely if they were showed a bit of love and given a plan to reach Super Rugby standard in 3 years then I think you could keep some if not all of them but it seems that once they are finished with at U20s level the Reds set them free and they are on their own - not feeling the love - we could list a whole heap of players that have fallen into this category in the last 5/6 years and include guys like Greene, Butler & Placid who did get a shot at Super Rugby with the Reds but were quickly passed over.

Guys like Harry Parker or a David Faeo who play Aust U20s and possibly won't play higher than NRC are incredible valuable in rising the standard of rugby in Queensland by simply having 10 year QPR careers for their clubs. By losing guys to other Aust Franchises (or overseas) diminishes the standard of QPR and raising the standard of the local comps in Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

I think one player that has really benefitted from a mentoring approach (from Brad Thorn) has been Izack Rhodda. It seems to me that Rhodda was a real project player for Thorne - and well done to both of them in this regard.

I am sure there are plenty more stories like Rhodda out there, but lets strive to keep talent in Queensland because by doing so it will push the Reds up the Super Rugby table.

We need to ensure that the talent in the Qld U20s over the last two years filters through to the Reds over the next 3/4 years rather than having the eyes picked out of these squads ('16 & '17) by other Australian Franchises promising these guys an easy passage into Super Rugby.

As it stands with the likely reduction of 5 Aust Franchises into 4 under the proposed Super Rugby agreement there will be a whole flood of players from the outgoing franchise into the remaining 4 franchise teams - so guys who are in the U20s this year might just have to show a bit of patience - we all know "patience" is not a virtue abundant amongst modern youth - so it is going to be tough few years ahead for this crop of U20s players but the cream will rise to the top - slower than it might have in the past!!!!

Mentoring will be the key in my honest opinion.
It's pretty hard for youngsters to stay on a lick & promise training 4 to 5 times a week for 3-4 hours with study commitments and trying to make some extra cash on the side. I know they have to put in the hard yards in order to get there and if they're offered a little cash and a chance elsewhere they'll take it. Nature I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
How are the fields shaping up for tomorrow - Bond, Old Mac, Courtney & Chipsy Wood?

I'd say Hugh Courtney would have been worst affected by flooding?

Stellar15

Bob McCowan (2)
Game time is king for the young players who are making these sacrifices. Primarily, they are seeking the opportunity to test themselves against the best in the country.

I thought last weekend’s Brumbies U20s game was a lost opportunity for the Reds to reward some of their younger players with time.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oldmac Oval should be a go. I've remembered 2 very distinct wins (2013,2014) the bulldogs had against the dragons out at Sunnybank where the conditions were nothing but abysmal (torn up muddy field)

unless they've changed how they manage that ground. i'd say it's all systems go for the Green&Gold vs Green&Black.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Drove past Bond this morning and it didn't look flash with alot of the areas surrounding the main ground under water. Don't fancy the fixture with the Filth happening

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just to add to the earlier comments.

Looking through the team sheets for Round 1 of the Shute Shield and there are 7 (very talented) former Heavies running around in Sydney this weekend.

No doubt plenty of other QLD Premier players as well.

If NRC is 3rd tier does that make QLD 5th?

Status
Not open for further replies.