• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
He just wanted to play footy again after returning from the UK and a shoulder injury...

Fair enough but I hope he's doing it for the love of the game not coin.

He'll get a nice welcome home from the Bottomley crowd this Saturday - not so much the players as not many of them would have every played with him.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Fair enough but I hope he's doing it for the love of the game not coin.

He'll get a nice welcome home from the Bottomley crowd this Saturday - not so much the players as not many of them would have every played with him.

Xxxxxxx

By the way you want to keep running this one mate it sounds like you're the one with an axe to grind/quote]

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
No axe to grind here mate just calling it as it is. I just don't think any rugby player should ask for coin to play 4 club games because after all every Premier Grade Rugby Club is a not-for-profit entity. It is not a dig at your club.

Cree was an Easts bloke who left the club and went to the neighbouring Souths club - I don't think too many guys have made that switch. It is a bit like a bloke leaving Norths to go play for Brothers. Or leaving Wests for Uni.

BTW what happened with the loss of competition points?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No axe to grind here mate just calling it as it is. I just don't think any rugby player should ask for coin to play 4 club games because after all every Premier Grade Rugby Club is a not-for-profit entity. It is not a dig at your club.

Cree was an Easts bloke who left the club and went to the neighbouring Souths club - I don't think too many guys have made that switch. It is a bit like a bloke leaving Norths to go play for Brothers. Or leaving Wests for Uni.

Clubs are not for profit entities, but they're not charities. They'll only pay a bloke what they're willing to pay.

Club loyalty is a great thing, but it's less important nowadays. Blokes move for opportunities or just because there's someone they want to play with or for at another club. Some might question that value system, but I think there's some sense about it.

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)

Bulldog and Ruck n Maul - Where's the discussion about how Bond lobbed in a professional tighthead prop and outside back from Munster to fix their woes? Wont anyone think of the poor kids who miss out!

Lay off the haterade and personal attacks on players you obviously barely know of (hint: use google - it gives a good hint of where players from other clubs and your own came from) enjoy the road to the finals.

Just calling it as it is.

scrumanchor

Bob McCowan (2)

They lost 4 points for playing an unregistered player.

Having played with Tim at easts years ago I can tell you he wouldn't be playing for the money. He's not that kind of bloke. Dan Mckellar was the one who recruited him to Souths then to the Vikings in Canberra.

Either way it will be interesting to see the crowds response on Saturday.

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
Clubs are not for profit entities, but they're not charities. They'll only pay a bloke what they're willing to pay.

Club loyalty is a great thing, but it's less important nowadays. Blokes move for opportunities or just because there's someone they want to play with or for at another club. Some might question that value system, but I think there's some sense about it.

Club loyalty is used on players that the clubs know or think aren't going anywhere rather than help these very guys that help build the clubs culture. The goodies are dolled out to players who are enticed to clubs and when a better offer comes along or they don't get that NRC spot they have been told they'll most likely get, they move on and who can blame them. This is the case at most if not all clubs and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Bulldog and Ruck n Maul - Where's the discussion about how Bond lobbed in a professional tighthead prop and outside back from Munster to fix their woes? Wont anyone think of the poor kids who miss out!
I missed you Stevo. Couldn't deprive you any longer by hogging all the posts

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone know if many of the Aus U/20's will be playing for there club this weekend.

Hewett for Norths?
Mason for Easts?
Efy for Wests?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Stewart, Riley, Nucifora & Blythe for Bond not sure if in Prem's or Reserves yet, will know when team sheets are out. Stewart and Blythe are still Colts eligible but doubt the'll be playing there. Luka still has an arm injury which may preclude him from playing for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)

Lay off the haterade and personal attacks on players you obviously barely know of (hint: use google - it gives a good hint of where players from other clubs and your own came from) enjoy the road to the finals.

Just calling it as it is.

Fire down Stevo.

FYI - I actually coached Cree as a schoolboy. So I have followed his progression and I believe that Tim would do it for the love of the game but it was "Ruck n Maul" who said that Norths were throwing big money his way not I.

Leave Bond alone they weren't the club playing an unregistered player in the clash at the GC last weekend!!! The clearance rules are there for a reason and must be followed.

scrumanchor

Bob McCowan (2)
Fire down Stevo.

FYI - I actually coached Cree as a schoolboy. So I have followed his progression and I believe that Tim would do it for the love of the game but it was "Ruck n Maul" who said that Norths were throwing big money his way not I.

Leave Bond alone they weren't the club playing an unregistered player in the clash at the GC last weekend!!! The clearance rules are there for a reason and must be followed.

Sorry bulldog, wasn't having a go at ya mate. Just saying it wouldn't be in his character to go for money.

As trainerGB said probably went there because him & Sio have known each other for a fair stretch.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That time of the year when we all debate player payments/recruiting and nobody even had the initiative to mention Sunnybank and their pokie machines or UQ and their "scholarships" What a time we live in when the talk is directed at UQ/Gold Coast and yet they are both in the cellar.

I kind of hate how Norths went down this path. Use to admire them as a club being a bunch of losers but playing for the pride of the Eagle on their jersey. They've obviously had a cash injection from somewhere now they can be players in recruitment but what do they have to show for themselves? another season where they'll fight for 2nd last place to avoid the spoon.

Norths is doing it all wrong anyway. Why give money (allegedly/assuming) to QLD Reds players when you know damn well they probably play a match of 2 a year (if that) why not give it to a young up and comer who's gonna give you 16 rounds or so.

Anyways before i get accused of pointing fingers solely at Norths i'd like to dob in my own club. It was a few years ago when some Wests board member or management won an award (name is escaping me) and he got up and basically said he was proud that Wests as a club doesn't pay players. this was met to almost a standing ovation with everyone cheering and howling. (after wrapping up another wooden spoon for the year) it led to myself being proud of the club that we as a organisation had morals about fielding team of blokes who wanted to be there. But over the years I've since heard mumblings about (Free physio for a certain player, Help with a vehicle, A return ticket for a players family funeral) now none of those things would be a direct player payment for recruiting but rather the leaders of a club looking out for it's players..... We'd all be naive to think that a coach doesn't have a couple of aces up their sleeves to help with recruiting. it's just some clubs have more wiggle room then others.

Anyways enough with the QPR politics. Lets bring on the QPR footy for the weekend!

nightnday

Allen Oxlade (6)
That time of the year when we all debate player payments/recruiting and nobody even had the initiative to mention Sunnybank and their pokie machines or UQ and their "scholarships" What a time we live in when the talk is directed at UQ/Gold Coast and yet they are both in the cellar.

I kind of hate how Norths went down this path. Use to admire them as a club being a bunch of losers but playing for the pride of the Eagle on their jersey. They've obviously had a cash injection from somewhere now they can be players in recruitment but what do they have to show for themselves? another season where they'll fight for 2nd last place to avoid the spoon.

Norths is doing it all wrong anyway. Why give money (allegedly/assuming) to QLD Reds players when you know damn well they probably play a match of 2 a year (if that) why not give it to a young up and comer who's gonna give you 16 rounds or so.

Anyways before i get accused of pointing fingers solely at Norths i'd like to dob in my own club. It was a few years ago when some Wests board member or management won an award (name is escaping me) and he got up and basically said he was proud that Wests as a club doesn't pay players. this was met to almost a standing ovation with everyone cheering and howling. (after wrapping up another wooden spoon for the year) it led to myself being proud of the club that we as a organisation had morals about fielding team of blokes who wanted to be there. But over the years I've since heard mumblings about (Free physio for a certain player, Help with a vehicle, A return ticket for a players family funeral) now none of those things would be a direct player payment for recruiting but rather the leaders of a club looking out for it's players... We'd all be naive to think that a coach doesn't have a couple of aces up their sleeves to help with recruiting. it's just some clubs have more wiggle room then others.

Anyways enough with the QPR politics. Lets bring on the QPR footy for the weekend!

Oh the good old days..... applauding the fact that although these guys are being asked to train similar hours to a part time job we won't give them a thing because their loyal, I mean nobody helped me out when I was playing in 3rd grade....

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
I missed you Stevo. Couldn't deprive you any longer by hogging all the posts

The feeling isnt mutual

Tim wasn't up to it when he played for Easts & Souths previously in QPR - I doubt you'd get value for money no matter how much or little you pay him.

Given that Norths appear to be out of the race for the top 4 why bother, invest in the future and give a young bloke a go

Clearly I didnt explain myself properly, apologies - so fire down and R-E-L-A-X...

I was just calling it as it is, you didnt rate him as a schoolboy but yeah, that meant nothing.

The point isnt about the legality of the transfers but about the fact you bemoan one club trying to upgrade its roster (Norths) yet say nothing when another (Bond) who have arguably one of the most talent rich regions available to them, go out and secure the services of full time professionals.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Stevo - might be worth taking a leaf from SX - stop the finger pointing and get on with today's very important games.

Looking forward to the Scifleet Stadium clash - I think if Wests are to crack a finals spot they need to get a win over Sunnybank.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Not premier grade news but still worth mentioning.

Sunnybank Premier reserve grade who are competition leaders & who were undefeated just took their first loss of the season at the hands of the Bulldogs 19-10.

Well done gents!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Bond beating Brothers has to be one of the upsets of the season right

I liked this post agreeing with you shaker but then i saw Norths beat Easts!

Have to say.. If you take away Souths predicted loss this weekend then you'd have a round full of upsets.

Bulldogs beat Dragons
Eagles beat Tigers
Breakter beat Filth

Status
Not open for further replies.