• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm lead to believe that his best mate from school in New Zealand was one of the new players at West's this year and has convinced him to come over after having such an enjoyable year

What and Tongan Thor couldn't convince him to come to brothers? :wink:

That makes sense. It's usually friendship why we play rugby and choose clubs.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
clubs shouldn't be playing professional players

I am for the most part agreeing on your stance but after my team returned to the playoffs after a 10 year absence and knowing of the arms race that goes on at top of ladder with paying players. I'm gonna throw my morals and ethics out the window and get behind whatever it takes.

Wests had a couple of years where we had no Queensland reds on the books. James Horwill (former doggy) & Faainga twins had to come out to wests junior for sign on day. If the reds are going to allow incoming players choose their allegiance then they have no business interfere info with what a local rugby club does with its disposable revenue. Otherwise allocate the professional players.

Plus usually it's never the clubs paying the players. It's the old boys network hooking up a job, accomodation or a car lease with the local club car dealership.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yep, Brothers also had years (not too long ago) with no Reds at all, whilst other clubs had 7 or 8. Made it almost impossible to win GF's.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Always thought Izack Rodda sounded like a menacing lock name.

I remember I use to poke fun at the Tigers how they hadn't had a wallaby since David Wilson. Andrew Ready toured with the wallabies last year and got a match with wallaby XV vs French Barbarian but I don't believe that is classified as a cap.

Always thought Izala Perese would be the wallaby before Izack Rodda but none the less when Rodda hits the field it will be he first time in 17-18 years since the Tigers have had a in-season wallaby cap.

I am excited for what's in store for this young mans career.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the Tiger's claim Ben Mowen (former Wallaby captain) as one of their's despite the fact that he was a Brumbie at the time he played for the Wallabies.

Which is fair enough given he played for the Tigers as did his father(Sean) & his younger brother still runs around in the Reggies (I think) for Easts.

We claimed Higgers as a Wallaby when he was playing for the Rebels.

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
RnM go do me a favour and play in traffic please.

thinking ahead for next season, is there a reason why QPR cant use the same finals as SS and host semis at the club grounds? although Ballymore is our spiritual ground, can you imagine what the atmosphere would be like at Crosby Park or Wests if they earned the right to play there (ie finish 1 or 2)?

All the lower grades could play there corresponding match at the same ground too and keep the $ goes to where it belongs - grassroots footy.

T

TOCC

RnM go do me a favour and play in traffic please.

thinking ahead for next season, is there a reason why QPR cant use the same finals as SS and host semis at the club grounds? although Ballymore is our spiritual ground, can you imagine what the atmosphere would be like at Crosby Park or Wests if they earned the right to play there (ie finish 1 or 2)?

All the lower grades could play there corresponding match at the same ground too and keep the $ goes to where it belongs - grassroots footy.

for many playing a finals match at Ballymore is the highlight of their rugby career, and besides Wests I don't think any of the QPR clubs have the potential to hosts crowds of 8000

Steve Doublesteve

Peter Burge (5)
for many playing a finals match at Ballymore is the highlight of their rugby career, and besides Wests I don't think any of the QPR clubs have the potential to hosts crowds of 8000

I think most guys dream of playing at Suncorp, the allure of Ballymore is dead. its just a money spinning ruse by the QRU

im not suggesting that we move the GFs away from Ballymore...
8k crowds? i doubt that much turned up for the GF let alone prelim/elimination rds.

T

TOCC

I think most guys dream of playing at Suncorp, the allure of Ballymore is dead. its just a money spinning ruse by the QRU
Sure Suncorp would also be nice.. but the allure of playing at Ballymore is certainly not dead

Plenty of clubs like Souths don't have the facilities to host the preliminary finals for all grades, or if they use juniors then it's segregated. Additionally, Ballymore offers a relatively central locations for finals, what is to happen if Bond finish first, is it expected everyone in Brisbane grades drive down to the coast.

Playing at Ballymore has a great allure still, and whilst the facilities have aged, they are still designed for handling mass crowds. Crowds were 9000 in 2016 and 6-7k in 2017

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just saw that entry to NRC games at Ballymore is free.

One wonders why entry to QPR & lower grades finals aren't likewise free?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reg,
I'm surprised you are allowed to mention Occam's razor on internet forums...

if word of that theorem(?) spread the internet would implode.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Because NRC matches are being played at Uni and Wests and you can't charge people to enter those games.

Sometimes there's no conspiracy. Occam's razor and all that.

But Reg not all club games during the year are played at Ballymore and you have to pay to watch Colts 3 semi finals at Ballymore??

It just so happens that Bne v Fiji is played 2 weeks after the GFs where spectators were charge entry on the Saturday (lower grades) - I just don't understand why you have to pay to watch genuine amateur games (anything lower than Prems).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Basic promotion and marketing. Nrc is a new content piece (one I think personally think is excellent and produces superior rugby than club) but has struggled to draw significant crowds.

So they're 'sampling' it to drive new people to it. Ever seen those people giving away free food samples at woolies or Coles? That's what this is.

Club rugby has been around for years. It doesn't need that edge - it has some perceived value.

Plus Ballymore does actually cost money to run. QRU need to make that money somehow. How do you suggest they do that?

T

TOCC

Is the issue that they charged for the finals or that they aren't charging for the NRC?

They've charged for the NRC in years gone by and crowds haven't been great, I think that's why this season they're offering it for free and out to the clubs.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
It would be great if we could do the same with Premier Rugby that Shute Shield has done. I agree that free to air is a key component. See Fitzsimon's article.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...rugby-are-in-great-shape-20170830-gy7e6n.html
Totally Agree with all of the sentiments in the Article I have been going to Club games for the past three years and enjoy it so much more than the Reds. Not just because the Reds are rubbish.

It is due to the fact that when you go to Suncorp you are treated like a second class citizen. The Food and beverage is overpriced and basically after the game you are kicked out of the stadium. The replays take way to long and kill the game. I personally think there is a special place in hell for the guy who came up with the TMO.

This v Club 99% of the people are friendly, Food and Beverage is reasonably priced. The Ref Makes a decision and we all move on (Perhaps after a small blow up). The kids have a kick around after the game. You go home afterwards having enjoyed the entire experience.

If someone had the funds a free to air model would work in Brisbane but it would take a serious set of stones to take on the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.