• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
bulldog your above posts have nothing to do with club rugby? You sure you didn’t mean to post in reds thread?

Also on another note perhaps it’s time for a QLD Premier Rugby 2018 thread!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Regarding the 7s tournaments that have been happening.

Easts wanted to do one the same day as Brothers. It was cancelled? Why?

Wests had one the same day as Norths.

What happened to the Souths tournament?

There was a long weekend with no tournaments.

UQ was a 2 day tournament held the same time as the womens and an NRC game.

And to top it off, Noosa and Byron are on the same weekend!

My question, why are clubs/organisations/tournaments competing against each other?

Why arent we all getting together, and working out a 8 week 7s circuit that would benefit all parties?? Even Qld and Aussie 7s in the long run?

My thoughts, Norths has to be closest weekend to Fiji Day (Oct 10th)

UQ, run their 2 day tournament over the long weekend.

Have Noosa first, then Byron, so the serious ones can carry on down to Kiama and the other tournaments in NSW.

Then squeeze all the others in during Sept and before you know it, the Qld Circuit is money making, internationally inviting, financially beneficial for all!!

Teams from Fiji and NZ, and even possibly Malaysian and Indonesia may want to get involved.

E.g. In this order:
Wests
Easts
Souths
Brothers
UQ
Norths
Noosa
Byron

Make all 10 x QPR clubs have to enter at least 1 team, then fill in the gaps with Iconz, Tribe, KQPR teams and a couple of invitational spots.

Could have a Colts and Womens comp running along side at the same venues....

Or am I thinking with too much common sense??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I agree there is a lack of communication as you have highlighted. We also have to mindful that too much rugby can be a deterrent for players

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree there is a lack of communication as you have highlighted. We also have to mindful that too much rugby can be a deterrent for players
Well if you don't want to play, don't play.

As a young fella coming through in NZ, all I wanted to do was run around and play footy. As soon as I was good enough, I was old enough. Nothing better. Then you have November and December off and hit the ground in January for preseason.

That "too much rugby" sounds like a 'private school' or 'let's award them for participation' type of attitude. Massive problem with Australian rugby at the moment. But that's another topic.

These tournaments are already happening.

Just need to structure them better.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I like the thinking TrainerGB. Having consecutive weekends would make a lot of sense and allow teams to run bigger squads so they can rest players. If you had a squad of 25-30 you could run a sevens program for 8 weeks a have your team preform at a high level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I like the thinking TrainerGB. Having consecutive weekends would make a lot of sense and allow teams to run bigger squads so they can rest players. If you had a squad of 25-30 you could run a sevens program for 8 weeks a have your team preform at a high level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And if there are incentives at the end of it, i.e. prize money or rep jerseys, it would be a great motivator to the fringe NRC lads to prove some points, whilst staying fit, active and rugby minded

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Looks like Logan are out of QPR next year going by their Facebook post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
eb9ba41fb3650f559f91fe3ca9dd8356.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

It’s still bloody ridiculous, a number of those areas were identified as issues 18-24months ago. If the QRU were serious about promoting Logan then they should have allocated some resources, like a development officer to assist and oversee coaching courses and provide guidance some of the club administration requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think this was always going to happen after Carmicheal went as Chairman. Barker is there to be a puppet for the status quo! Among other things that were mentioned is where would you get players....poach them from other clubs?? Where the f*** do the idiots think Logan players go now.poached by other clubs to give them a chance to play Prems, and I am not knocking either clubs or players for it, but as can be seen in QRU statement that 19% of Sunnybank's players are from around Logan club, gee and I wonder why they have been so active in suggesting logan should never go up. Was also mentioned I believe that because club is between 2 wealthiest clubs in Qld that it not a good idea. Some ways they were right because the coach that had been appointed for next year did have a number of players from other clubs coming with him, and I personally know at least 4 other Prem players from other clubs that were returning to Logan. I admit to being a Logan person been associated with the club for 20 years, and so am not a neutral, but more than anything I am a rugby union person first and foremost and get infuriated with another case in Aus of not trying to help grassroots rugby, or try and make it stronger. Think the idiots should be trying to expand the game, not keep it protected to same few clubs, and i looking at Ipswich ,Caboolture etc when I say this as well as Logan.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Damn, I had heard whispers Rob Selb was going to be coaching Logan. I actually never shared the information because I didn’t think it was right for me to do so until the Saints released their own press release. Happy to share now considering what’s transpired and it will be locked away in the #whatif rumour vault.

As much as we all sit here and bag the ARU for their commitment to grassroots rugby we have the same systematic headless chicken leadership at Ballymore too.

Can Brad Thorn be groomed for CEO as well?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, he had apparently signed Southern, I also had stayed quiet until there was a release. I think it has just made me angry because I know there is probably no coming back from this, there is no way any good players will commit to Logan as they will probably believe like me that QRU really have no desire to grow the number or the strength of grassroots rugby.
As you rightly pointed out the QRU and ARU have a lot in common, perhaps some of the QRU hierachy are trying to show ARU how good they would be if promoted!!
Anyway guess if i want to support a prem club, whilst still supporting Logan (which mate and I have chatted about) I have to start deciding, and as I couldn't ever support Sunnybank (which is closest) for obvious reasons, I thinking perhaps Wests is starting to look good, can go straight up motorway, have good facilities, and close to Regatta pub!!

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Gents

It is a difficult one for Logan and the QRU we all come to this from a position of loving our Rugby. Logan has some great people and it is an awesome facility.

Some of the facts are Logan was an utter basket case last year. they ended with one team perhaps third grade after starting with three or four and in fairness to the QRU they have bent over backwards to let them in.

There were some fairly unsavoury incidents that did not reflect well on the club and as a result they lost quite a bit of there political capital among other clubs. Being a neighbour to the Bank is always difficult as they are the most financially strong club in QLD and are constantly recruiting players.

Logan had a negative effect on entire comp last year as their round effectively became a bye for the other clubs as they could only field one or perhaps two teams. When you take into account that Bond does not have all grades it makes it very difficult to run comp. I am sure if Logan had participated more fully in the comp last year they would have had a better outcome

I for one hope they come back from this.

Reactions: gws

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I just hate the whole QRU move the goal post attitude when it comes to the Saints. Year after year it’s been excuse after excuse why they have not been promoted.

They announced 2018 was the year they’d be included and it so disappointing to have this bullshit QRU response.

Sunnybank can go EAD. I’m sure they meddled behind the scenes to have the saints promotion scuttlebutted.

I agree happyman, hope they come back from this but it really is a kick in the guts especially when the unions say they are committed to grassroots.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seems to be a lot of complaining but no solutions being offered. Judging by Rugby Link, Clubs need about 50-60 Premier squad level players to effectively participate in the Men's Open Division of QPR (Premier and Premier Reserve). Logan usually fronted with less than 30 players across 1st grade and Premier Reserve, with probably only 5-10 of those being Premier Reserve level players. So apart from the administrative and coaching problems identified - there is an obvious basic requirement to have an influx of about 50 Premier squad level players if Logan are to be able to compete, and that i expect has been assessed to be extremely unlikely before next season. So rather than complain or blame everyone else, does anyone have any realistic suggestions as to how we can grow Logan (or any other expansion club) player strength to enable them to be competitive in QPR.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
So what grades will Logan be putting up next year does this just apply to Prems or is it Prem Res and Prem Colts

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
QRU aside - surely Logan should have been more proactive in searching for ideas at the start of 2017 season when they couldn't filed any colts teams and then again mid season when they could only regularly field 1 Saturday team.
Logan don't even compete with suburban clubs for colts/senior numbers - Wynnum alone had 3 Seniors teams and a colts team...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Let me assure you all that the reason Logan have struggled to field teams is probably partly our own fault, because we tended to believe the QRU saying they were working to promote Logan, it unfortunately spread to the players, and the last 10 years the goalposts have moved so much, players tend to think the club has been lying to them, so drift off to other clubs. the club was in very strong position in 2015, bloody good player depth,good coaches, colts etc etc, and then it was decided that there was no way it was happening again and we almost immediately lost 3 teams, with players believing if they were to play as high as they possibly could, they had to go elsewhere. Anyway it is pretty well accepted at club now that with the old private school network in QRU, it will not happen in forseeable future, and we have to accept that better players from area will play either league or go to Sunnybank etc! And of course with the free subs at neighbouring club for U17s etc, will continue to struggle for young players. I personally after 20 years at club have given up, and just will perhaps just drink beer, as I not sure I will feel that going to watch games and watch the smug looks of the people from some clubs who have seen their desire to keep the club out of Prems will be more than I can stand!!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So what grades will Logan be putting up next year does this just apply to Prems or is it Prem Res and Prem Colts

No decision yet, but I would suggest that the club should drop back to senior first comp as I sure a lot more players will be going elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.